Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Superglue help/source needed in USA  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Superglue help/source needed in USA
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
Hi all! I am writing with most urgent need. For years we have used a superglue sold by Michael's, a chain craft store. We liked it, worked great for most all small weapons and shields. Problem is the store stopped carrying this brand and we don't know the manufacturer. The new glue is fine for assembling minis, but it's too clumpy and doesn't have the right consistency for repairs on painted figures.

During our battle last night a bannerman took a tumble from this hill:

and our lame superglue has been unable to affix banner-on-wire-spear to hand.

Does anyone have a favorite brand superglue or other adhesive for use on PAINTED minis to recommend?

Thanks in advance all!
Jevenkah

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Superglue help/source needed in USA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:55 AM »
Loctite Super Attack Brush-On -  is my first choice these days

Like this: https://eshop.silvan.dk/vare/loctite-super-attak-brush-on-2

The 'lid' has 'wings' to twist it, making sure that it comes off (and that it gets properly closed after use), and the glue is slightly 'thicker' than most other cyano-acrylates, making it easier to control when applying it.

I have not noticed it dissolving paints.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline mxconnell

• Student
    • The Lead Covenant
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »
The two superglues I use most are Gorilla glue's superglue and Lightning Bond.

Gorilla glue's superglue available at most big box stores (Walmart, Home Depot, etc). It has an elastic filler in it that seems to make it more tolerant of jolts.

Lightning Bond I have picked up at Model Railroad shows and Historicon. Also available mail order at http://drmikesglue.com/order.html.
This stuff is incredibly strong. I use it now to assemble Infinity figures without pinning. Great stuff.

On the above link you'll also see Dr.Mike's, have some, used it a few times, but Lightning Bond has worked so well I haven't given Mike's much of a work out.

best of luck,
Martin

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »
I'm gonna be the odd one and say skip superglue and make the upgrade to epoxy. Cyanoacrylate has high tensile strength but low shear strength, and in my experience that makes the bonds unpredictable in their reliability.

I use JB-Weld to assemble my figures, and it's 2x as permanent as you could ever want. Only downside is the long cure time, but unless you're doing repairs mid-game, that shouldn't be a problem. Press parts together, wipe off excess with a q-tip or TP square, then tack in place with a tiny drop of superglue, and set it aside to cure overnight. Next day it'll be as if the parts were cast as one to begin with. The join will never ever need repairing.

There is a 5-minute version called JB-Quick, but I haven't tried it since it first came on the market 10 years or so ago. Back then it was crap, but I've heard good things since so maybe they've fixed it. I use 5-minute epoxies for larger resin parts (better in pretty much ever way than CA glue for that), so I'll have to get around to re-trying JB-Quick eventually.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.