Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Civil War or "A Right Bloody Mess"  (Read 39875 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Australian Civil War or "A Right Bloody Mess"
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:42 AM »
Mods, please put Leigh's ideas into a separate thread.

This is meant to be Matthew's ideas.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 05:33:28 AM »
Really?

I wasn't aware that, apart from the owner's LA Miniatures board, a commercial exclusivity arrangement applied to this or any other thread on this site. If that is the case I think the site moderators should have some sort of system for openly declaring at the start of a thread if it's primarily intended to promote and advertise a particular product, and if there's a commercial agreement between the parties; or better still, set aside a separate advertising board solely for that purpose.

Anyway, much of what I've posted here relates equally to NSW1932 and ARBM1933; I'm just offering gamers an alternative more grounded in history. And as I said, Matthew's book will be of equal interest whichever way someone might decide.   

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
Or there is just manners.

Edit: who said anything about commercial exclusivity?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »
Or there is just manners.

Like it or not, when a topic is posted in a forum, the inference is that it becomes open to discussion. That discussion may sway to and from support of a topic or a principle and you cannot really dictate how contributors should respond. We have rules preventing personal attacks, offensive language and other less palatable behaviour, but we don't have any that stop rudeness or bad manners - just like the real world.

You can of course apply the real world solution of ignoring those that offend you though.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
Gents,

As one privy to the contents of ARBM 1933 I think Leigh's suggestions are actually very relevant to this topic. In fact it may make for an excellent 'small scale' curtain raiser that sets the scene for the later conflagration that ARBM33 proposes.

Also, the numbers of people interested in interwar counterfactuals is relatively small so if we were to work together I think it can only be for the betterment of ARBM33 and all concerned...I appreciate your sentiment Ragnar and Leigh but I think we all have ARBM33 best interests at heart even though approaching it from a different direction...so we're all looking for a good outcome...hope that wasn't too preachy-sorry

I'm sure to be using my VBCW BUF in a setting more akin to Leigh's factional descriptions in the Lang Crisis as the site of the events is very local to me. I shall also repurpose my SCW militia as La Perouse Anarchists or other leftist militias of Redfern, our Dad's Army and WW1 Abyssinian Crisis British will do for Federalist forces and even a few of my VBCW police will be able to o be used I think..must check on NSW copper uniforms in 1932!

Throw in some of Eureka miniatures kangaroos and other bits and pieces and it'll all be quite usable with most of the miniatures all ready to be used.

I suspect that some/all of these types wil turn up a year later so they can be used for deployment in ARBM33 proper!

All sounds good to me!

Cheers

Happy Wanderer

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:23 AM »
I agree, at the end of the day everyone's going to have their own version of how things play out; it's all hypothetical anyway.

I'm currently prepping a pair of ALA SPAD S.XIIIs, the chance of them flying in Australian skies in 1933 in my version of events is... 100%. I'm right as there is no wrong.

Leigh has provided an alternative, I just think Leigh needs to work on his people skills. That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:34:05 PM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »
That's a good point about the potential 'curtain raiser', or catalyst, relationship between a hypothetical Lang Crisis conflict and ARBM1933, Happy Wanderer. Broadly, how do you see events unfolding to produce this outcome?

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 02:23:01 AM »
I'm no expert on the introduction dates of inter-war/early WW2 equipment, but I suspect that the latest WW2 release from Perry miniatures could possibly be of great interest to prospective ARBM players. There's nothing glaringly too late to my untutored eye, but the experts here will be able to better judge their suitability; rolled shirt sleeves for Summer campaigning, too!   

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
Hi Leigh,

I'll be honest, I haven't quite got that far...staring at the ingredients not yet sure how or what the recipe will be.

As as Perry minis, ideally the ones to get are Peter Jackson's private Perry WW1 range. The latest French troops with a slouch hat might work but post '37 British kit won't do for 1932 in Sydney.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 05:00:32 AM »
I understand that infantry equipment would be wrong, but is there anything in particular about the new yeomanry cavalry that wouldn't work?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
People can play with whatever toys appeal to them and this a fantasy topic anyway but all the Perry miniatures are wearing '37 pattern webbing. The clue is in the name, it was introduced into service British Army starting in 1937, so well after the nominal dates for the scenario. Actually the introduction date is somewhat nominal, it didn't really start rolling out in great quantities until just before the outbreak of the Second World War. Up until then '08 Pattern webbing was the dominant type and if you look at photos of the Militia in the 1930s and even the 2nd AIF, pre-embarcation for Egypt, you'll see extensive use of '08 webbing. Probably inconsequential to many but it really does give a quite different look to the figures.

Pretty much any Great War era Australian figure would do for this project, with probably the Gripping Beast ones having the best and most suitably scruffy range. Things had not changed by the '30s.

A group of us looked at doing this around 20 years ago, about the time that Michael Cathcart's Defending the National Tuckshop came out*. We went for the earlier Lang inspired scenario. As a project it never quite got off the ground. Minifigs' 15mm Great War figures and Command Decision's OTT was how we intended to game it out.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
I agree - you can make this genre as weird as you want it to be (some game VBCW as close as possible to what kit (uniform/vehicles) was available at the time to those who are are little more liberal with BUF black shorts, Morris men, etc).

I'm with Leigh - the Perry figures can be used for ARBM (you you go for the more fantasy-laden spectrum of the above). Men and women aren't prevented from sewing together kit that just happens to look very similar to what was to come out ~5 years later. Same reason I'm using SPAD S.XIIIs for my communists, it's possible (although extremely unlikely) that some were kept in a good enough condition after the RCW to ship to Australia. Meh - it's happened for real in at least one parallel universe.

Link here for the Perry Miniatures figures:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86406.0

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
One of the better descriptions.

The light horse militia of the 30's also did not get front-line equipment. Like most such formations they took what they were given. My father was one of them.

http://www.lighthorse.org.au/resources/manual-for-dress-equip-and-conduct/manual-for-dress-equip-and-conduct-6.-pictorial-dress-ww1

My father was an active unionist, an ALP man and part of the Domain crowds on the eve of Lang's sacking. While there was a lot of anger, piss and wind, it was his belief that nothing would have happened. He told me that the level of anger was about the same as Whitlam's sacking in 1975. Nothing happened there either. He was involved in some desperate late night punch-ups in Western NSW but that was as much about Catholic-Protestant tensions as much as anything else.

The whole thing is a fantasy. Go for your life. Have fun with it.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Certainly the new Perry yeomanry (and their dismounted counterparts to follow) should be a godsend for this project. There was no 'Pre-WWII' revision of cavalry kit and head-swaps not withstanding, they should work from the Great War to 1942.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
That's interesting Carlos. Given the factions that Leigh outlined how do they tie in with how you perceived the Lang Crisis developing into something more serious? I mean, was it a locale Sydney basin fracas thing or or something bigger ala ARBM?

Any info on how you planned to expand out the Lang Crisis to make a 'VBCW/ARBM' world out of it would be interesting to hear....given this is kind of what we were thinking.

Cheers

HW