Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 598
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Bugbears  (Read 3375 times)

Online uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Otherworld Bugbears
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »

And some more...

Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Otherworld Bugbears
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
Lovely job on these, the flesh is top notch and what I tried to do (and failed) with my goblins :( who look a big like gorillas now . I hummed and harred over the Otherworld figures as they are beauties, especially the Gnolls but I would have wanted a unit of 12-16 which would have broken the piggy bank ;D

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:28:36 AM »
Otherworld is one of the factors behind my rising urge to start gaming post-ironic D&D-style fantasy as a miniature skirmish game. Suffice to say these pics aren't helping ::)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 03:50:18 AM »
I've been getting that itch too Rhoderic, trying to recover some of the wonder in fantasy before huge shoulder pads and weapons and huge plate armor with all the trendy design touches. That stuff is cool, but it doesn't reproduce the thrill I got when I was a kid flipping through the old monster manuals. If that is indeed what are talking about. If not then disregard!

Anyway, those are awesome figs with a top drawer paint job, you really nailed them Uti. I'll have to drum up a few ebay auctions to afford some.

Online uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »
Thanks for the comments, but as ever not painted by me.

I agree about the D&D resurge. I'm running B5, Horror on the Hill at the end of November for my old gang and bought a few OW minis just for it.

Thinking of getting the Troll, new Hobgoblins and the Pig-Faced Orcs, but the whole OW range is great!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »
I've been getting that itch too Rhoderic, trying to recover some of the wonder in fantasy before huge shoulder pads and weapons and huge plate armor with all the trendy design touches. That stuff is cool, but it doesn't reproduce the thrill I got when I was a kid flipping through the old monster manuals. If that is indeed what are talking about. If not then disregard!

It is very much what I'm talking about. That classic semi-Tolkienesque sense of wonder without the escalating contest to make your fantasy designs seem more hip than everything that's come before.

I've hardly ever actually played RPGs and even if I had, I'm a bit too young to be able to remember the early days of D&D. So I guess I'm not really speaking out of nostalgia (or if I am, it's a fake nostalgia), but I still recognize the sincere, unconvoluted sense of wonder that those old books had.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

It is very much what I'm talking about. That classic semi-Tolkienesque sense of wonder without the escalating contest to make your fantasy designs seem more hip than everything that's come before.

I've hardly ever actually played RPGs and even if I had, I'm a bit too young to be able to remember the early days of D&D. So I guess I'm not really speaking out of nostalgia (or if I am, it's a fake nostalgia), but I still recognize the sincere, unconvoluted sense of wonder that those old books had.

I am about 10 years older than you, too late to miss the first wave of D&D but I caught it after it got popular. And I barely played, couldn't find other people that were into it unfortunately. I have 3 or 4 horribly painted Grenadier figs in a box somewhere to remember those days. I have a mix of fake and real nostalgia too. And Otherworld figs are really scratching that itch! I listen to a lot of metal, death metal, black metal and all that. But I always go back to Black Sabbath. Its kind of the same thing. All the thrills and elaborations are great but you can't get away from the raw pull of the early stuff.

Anyway, I've pontificated enough! Thanks for posting the figs Uti!

Online uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
I was lucky(?!) enough to be 'indoctrinated' by my best friend (he still is) when his Dad ran Secret of Saltmarsh in the early 80s, but remember my friend buying the Yellow D&D box set whilst on a school trip in (probably) 1981!

I've recently bought some of the original scenario's from Paizo as at $4.00 each (a bargain IMHO), but B5 was the very first D&D product I ever purchased - and of course never played. It's only taken about 25 years but I finally got there!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »
D&D nostalgia...  :'(

I recently discovered a folder full of old characters me and my cousins tried out in the early 80s. Oh, the innocent fun of slaughtering monsters that appeared on the random encounter tables without regard to sense or sensibility...

And I love those bugbears.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!