Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos in Carpathia vs IHMN Gothic vs 7th Voyage: The Witching Hour  (Read 3589 times)

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if someone could explain me the main differences between those three systems. Which one is the simplest, what system they use, personal preferences, etc.

I'm planning to run a typical gothic horror setting (vampire slayers vs dracula) and I have a very big dungeon, so a system with traps, events and riddles would be cool.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Chaos in Carpathia vs IHMN Gothic vs 7th Voyage: The Witching Hour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
I'm not familiar with the rules you listed (and they may well be your best choice), but the Song Of... series of games by Ganesha would probably tick most of your requested boxes as well. It is a very smooth system, lots of fun, and might be worth checking out. They are also inexpensive, which is nice. Combining these two would do the trick:
http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=15

and

http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_6&products_id=8

Good luck with your search!

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:30 PM »
I have been trying to decide between Chaos in Carpathia and IHMN Gothic they both seem simple enough but in the end I decided why choose
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
7th Voyage would be the more cinematic choice, great for a smaller cast. Lots of opportunities for event cards and player involvement on the opponent's turn. The traps and riddles would definitely fit the system.

IHMN Gothic runs very smoothly, and if you're looking for a larger number of fig on the board, would be the better choice.

Both are highly adaptable to different settings and minis.

(I don't have enough experience with Chaos in Carpathia to comment on it, sorry.)

(IMHO, the Song Of... series of games by Ganesha is a bit too... un-detailed to really give a flavorful game, especially what it sounds like you want to do.)
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »
(IMHO, the Song Of... series of games by Ganesha is a bit too... un-detailed to really give a flavorful game, especially what it sounds like you want to do.)

My thoughts exactly. From what I heard "Song of" is a good generic system, but I want something more detailed and flavorful.

How are the traps and riddles of 7th Voyage? Can I have something like that in CiC?

Offline necromorph

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
I've got 7th Voyage after reading a battle report that was on here somewhere. It's very cinematic and has a good Universal Horror and Hammer Horror feel, although I think you could easily play it more straight up gothic if you ignore the movie references in the events cards. There also a few nods to video games like Castlevania.

It's very simple to run too. The system shouldn't give anyone any difficulty no matter the age, building a cast is fun and very much like a light rpg. I'd mastered it after one game. The system itself is similar to 7TV (i've never played but there's plenty of reviews on here).

I don't have the other 7th Voyage supplements, just the main book and this, but there's plenty of scope for other genres. The event cards and magic items really add to the gothic feel in this setting though.

The character lists (called casts) have all sorts from Witch Hunters, Plague Doctors, Druids and Mad Scientists and even a create your own Universal Horror style system too. There's plenty of other monsters like insane asylum guys, ghouls, bat swarms creepy dolls and scarecrows.

The only issue I have is that it's PDF only, and I'd prefer printed cards to fit in with the rest of the series, but apart from that, it's my favorite gothic wargame.

For a £5 I think its fantastic and the artwork and fluff is great too.