Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Ground Zero Games Spaceships?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Painting Ground Zero Games Spaceships?
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
Okay, so a friend is planning on doing some painting of his, and with the double-effect sale at GZG this weekend, I figure I'll try and pick up some as well.

However, most of the tutorials I'm finding on spaceships are for craft with mostly flat spaces broken up with scribe lines and a few greebles. Anybody got tips for beasts that are MOSTLY greebles?

My own tastes are for crisp details, with a surface that's not shiny, but a satin that's almost almost semi-gloss.

Pointers? Tutorials I've missed? Give up on what I said if I want big, honking death machines on my table?

Doug

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Painting Ground Zero Games Spaceships?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »
Dry brushing maybe? Base colour and a few slightly lighter tones finished with a pure white one to give definition.

Before the white you can add a few colours for ID purposes, etc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:58:14 PM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:22:38 AM »
Okay, so a friend is planning on doing some painting of his, and with the double-effect sale at GZG this weekend, I figure I'll try and pick up some as well.

However, most of the tutorials I'm finding on spaceships are for craft with mostly flat spaces broken up with scribe lines and a few greebles. Anybody got tips for beasts that are MOSTLY greebles?

My own tastes are for crisp details, with a surface that's not shiny, but a satin that's almost almost semi-gloss.

Pointers? Tutorials I've missed? Give up on what I said if I want big, honking death machines on my table?

Doug

Doug,

what works for me is a boneheaded practical solution of either (A) flat black primer coat then drybrushing up two or three shades of the same overall base hull color (ie., dark charcoal grey, then neutral grey, then a slate grey, etc.) or (B, for bright overall hull colors) a white primer base followed by an overall undercoating of a median shade of the base hull color, then a paint wash of the darker shading tone, then drybrushing again once the wash has dried fully with the median tone and a lighter highlighting tone as necessary.

At least that tends to work for me, as I tend to paint whole squadrons at a time:

Hope this helps! 8)
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline Carpet General

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
Got a step by step of these on my blog:

Blog link:
http://carpetgeneral.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/finished-ft-intro-fleets.html

Hope they are of use?

Regards
Geoff
Aka CG

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
Thanks all!

@Leland, you know I'd be willing to hide in the bushes outside your house any night to drygulch you for your ships, hound of hell or no, but your PJ's doesn't quite fit the newer GZG sculpts to my thinking. Have to admit, though, the Stardate 3000 stuff argues in your favor.

@Carpet General Have yet to dig into the tutorial, but those piccies are STUNNING. Thanks!

Doug