Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Darkest Africa  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
Darkest Africa
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Introducing Colonel Clifford De Court, formerly of the 30th Regiment - veteran of Inkerman and the Siege of Lucknow - and my first foray into Colonial wargaming! Figure is from Pulp Figures, with the helmet and equipment from Empress.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:50:15 PM by Shirer »

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Darkest Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
You've done an excellent job painting and basing him, and he looks the part. Just curious, did you partially behead him and then place the helmet on the resulting flat surface? It looks great!

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »
You've done an excellent job painting and basing him, and he looks the part. Just curious, did you partially behead him and then place the helmet on the resulting flat surface? It looks great!

Thanks! It was simpler than that - the helmets from Empress are hollowed out, so it was just a case of gluing it on. I had thought it might look unnatural, but it sat fairly low on the head so I didn't need to cut any of it off in the end.

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »

Felt he needed a bit of polishing, so I spent a bit of time on a few extra highlights. Much happier with him now! Have to say, I'm very impressed with the Pulp Figures scultps - some of the cleanest I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:32:23 PM by Shirer »

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
Great conversion idea, one point surely the pith helmet he has on would be in pristine white, a dyed one for getting stuck in and a dress helmet to impress the civvies!

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
Great conversion idea, one point surely the pith helmet he has on would be in pristine white, a dyed one for getting stuck in and a dress helmet to impress the civvies!

Haha, true - although part of me likes the idea that he's made one concession to campaigning with his helmet, whilst still keeping up appearances with the mess jacket!

My plan is to build up some small-scale armies for Triumph and Tragedy around Uganda in the late 1880s/early 1890s (prior to the British protectorate being established). In true 'Man Who Would be King Style', Colonel de Court has had himself proclaimed king of a tribe on the border with the Congo Free State, supported by a motley band of British ex-regulars and locally-recruited Askari.

Long term, I'll be building the following forces, with each comprising of around 15-30 figures, with the view to campaigning with my local group. There were a fascinating number of interests and factions within the area at the time.

* Colonel de Court and his cronies
* A Force Publique column sent to protect Leopold's interests in the area
* An Egyptian force sent by the Khedive, led by Samuel Baker
* Zanzibarian traders
* French missionaries
* British missionaries
* A German colonial vanguard led by Dr Karl Peters

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:13 PM »
Thank you for the explanation, and good luck with your project!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »
Haha, true - although part of me likes the idea that he's made one concession to campaigning with his helmet, whilst still keeping up appearances with the mess jacket!

My plan is to build up some small-scale armies for Triumph and Tragedy around Uganda in the late 1880s/early 1890s (prior to the British protectorate being established). In true 'Man Who Would be King Style', Colonel de Court has had himself proclaimed king of a tribe on the border with the Congo Free State, supported by a motley band of British ex-regulars and locally-recruited Askari.

Long term, I'll be building the following forces, with each comprising of around 15-30 figures, with the view to campaigning with my local group. There were a fascinating number of interests and factions within the area at the time.

* Colonel de Court and his cronies
* A Force Publique column sent to protect Leopold's interests in the area
* An Egyptian force sent by the Khedive, led by Samuel Baker
* Zanzibarian traders
* French missionaries
* British missionaries
* A German colonial vanguard led by Dr Karl Peters

Good man, I have similar plans but am holding off until the Congo! rules are released from Studio Tomahawk so I can build a force for that, I plan to make it flexible so I can use it for multiple systems.

My idea was more scientific expedition + various backers/hangers on/tourists etc.

Also forgot to ask, how does the Pulp stuff compare to others? Is it just the sculpt style or are they heroically proportioned?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:40:09 AM by Kommando_J »

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
Good man, I have similar plans but am holding off until the Congo! rules are released from Studio Tomahawk so I can build a force for that, I plan to make it flexible so I can use it for multiple systems.

My idea was more scientific expedition + various backers/hangers on/tourists etc.

Also forgot to ask, how does the Pulp stuff compare to others? Is it just the sculpt style or are they heroically proportioned?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing more about those rules - and there's the Osprey colonial game in the pipeline, too. We're being spoilt at the moment!

This isn't the clearest comparison shot in the world, but from left to right we have: Pulp Figures, Warlord, Pulp Figures, Foundry, Warlord. I'd say the Pulp and Foundry Darkest Africa match up pretty much perfectly - both are slightly more heroically proportioned than Warlord, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »
Here are the next members of the expedition:

First up is 'Hippo' Harris, who lost his forearm after an unfortunate incident in the Congo Delta. Not letting that get in the way of his exploits, he now shoots his Martini-Henry from the hip. I just need to make a rifle strap out of greenstuff for him.

Next up is Dr Stirling, who was separated from his scientific expedition after an attack by Baluchi slavers.

Apologies for the poor picture quality!

These two figures were converted from the Foundry Victorian 'Ex-soldiers' pack - with the help of more Empress helmets.

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »

Went for cotton thread instead of greenstuff for the strap, then doused it with superglue. Pleased with how it's come out - just needs a bit of tidying up on the tunic now.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
He will have a lot of character. Great job!

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »
He will have a lot of character. Great job!

Thanks! Looking forward to painting him when I get a chance!

The full unit of four Europeans, ready for priming.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
Saw Colonel Clifford De Court up on ebay, don't tell me the project is dead!? I was looking forward to seeing more of your conversions.