Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Devils on the Wind  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Devils on the Wind
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »
Another FREE scenario download from Rattrap Productions.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewtopic.php?t=1289

This scenario is great for those who have just purchased the rules and want to run a quick game before they begin delving into the more extensive scenarios. It requires just 6-9 models and has not specific terrain requirements so you can throw anything down (the whole thing takes place during a sandstorm so models never know how far they will be able to see until the beginning of the turn.)

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Devils on the Wind
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
Capital idea, that sandstorm!

Although this is probably going against the intentions of the scenario, I'm now wondering how to easily and efficiently model a sandstorm, just for looks. Preferably in some way that'd take an hour, max. Cotton or steel wool is what normally comes to mind for stuff like this (mist, smoke, fire, etc.) but in this case one would want to capture a sense of motion, of fierce blowing winds. I wonder if painted steel wool would be adequate for that.

To be clear, I'm not speaking of covering the entire board in steel wool, but a few sheets of it efficiently placed in the empty spaces would hopefully give a nice enough visual effect. They could of course be moved around if they get in the way.

I have actually been toying with a slightly similar idea, but set in a kind of misty dreamscape instead, played on a board covered with cotton representing mist. I'm not sure how to justify such a scenario from a storytelling perspective, but maybe some sort of an underworld/afterlife kind of deal, mimicking all those ancient myths about heroes travelling to the worlds of the dead and coming back again. Or just have it be a misty island or something, for a less radical plot hook.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
Well, I know you can buy colored cotton balls from craft stores, probably would work alright to just buy up a bunch of tan ones and let that take care of it. 

Glad you liked the scenario

Ryan W. Flessing

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »
Operator: thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll try it out a.s.a.p.

Rhoderic: How about using air elemental miniatures? They basically look like dust devils. Just paint them in sandy colors.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »
I would like to see the outcome of this modelling discussion!
argsilverson

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »
For my Gobi Desert game a couple of years back, I took Steel Wool and sprayed it the same colors as my board. If you take the time to shape it correctly, then paint one half slightly darker than the other, it looks like blowing sand. If I still had the pieces I would post a picture, I think all I have left is the Dust Devil I made.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
As a terrific shortcut to modelling my desert terrain, I was able to secure a couple of good sized bits of wall covering material.  It is not really wall paper, I think it is vinyl.  Anyhow, I haven't put any of it down onto boards yet, but it looks great on its own with the little bit of texturing it has, I just need to make myself a few dunes and paint them to match as closely as I can and the " natural " desert terrain will be done.  I am working on a hill commission right now otherwise I would be in full dune mode. 

I will be happy to post some pictures once I get more of this project finished off.

Ryan