Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395554 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)
« Reply #2505 on: March 18, 2024, 07:05:09 PM »
Very cool! Just curious - do you think the goblin slinger arms would work well on Skaven clan rat bodies? (I’m thinking the last clanrat version released previous to the AoS change-over.)

I have only some Island of Blood ones (with integral shields), but the goblin and goblin-slave arms fit very naturally on those; I think the clanrats are essentially the same.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:26:29 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (kitbashed Skaven slingers)
« Reply #2506 on: March 18, 2024, 08:16:19 PM »
Neat! A mix of kitbashed Oathmark goblins and Skaven figures would give a lot of variety in a slinger unit. Your slingers certainly turned out well. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the Skaven slingers, ever since I first looked at the 3rd ed army book. No idea why, as I don’t think they were especially effective…

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2507 on: March 18, 2024, 08:21:13 PM »
Neat! A mix of kitbashed Oathmark goblins and Skaven figures would give a lot of variety in a slinger unit. Your slingers certainly turned out well. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the Skaven slingers, ever since I first looked at the 3rd ed army book. No idea why, as I don’t think they were especially effective…

They're notoriously effective in Mordheim - two shots a round at close range (albeit with a -1 penalty).* I fielded these two and a metal companion yesterday, and they managed to take out a couple of orc heroes in a single round!

*Actually, I think that might have been the same in 3rd ed - but no one had enough to make a full unit! I think I may even have some of a friend's attempted/abortive conversions somewhere in the lead pile ...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2508 on: March 19, 2024, 12:54:59 AM »
I think you’re right that slingers in 3rd ed had 2 shots per round at close range. No idea where the idea came from that slings get extra shots at any range - my brother and I messed around with slings and bows when we were kids and bows definitely have a quicker rate of fire.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 06:15:41 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2509 on: March 19, 2024, 09:00:44 AM »
I think you’re right that slingers in 3rd ed had 3 shots per round at close range. No idea where the idea came from that slings get extra shots at any range - my brother and I messed around with slings and bows when we were kids and bows definitely have a quicker rate of fire.

Yes, it doesn't make much sense!

I wonder - was it originally a rule applied to halflings (to represent their noted dexterity and handiness with hurled stones and the like) and then applied to other sling-using creatures?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2510 on: March 19, 2024, 08:46:07 PM »
Could be. Could also be that they felt slings needed something special to get players to choose them over bows. I suspect it was an early example of the profusion of special abilities/ features in WFB, rather than anything logically consistent.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2511 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:19 AM »
Or is it just that you could technically stick two stones in a sling at the same time, which you can't do with a bow and arrow (unless you are a Hollywood Robin Hood, anyway)?

Would explain the -1 to Hit as you'd have less control.

Anyway, top work as usual. Skaven heads on goblin bodies was the first time I ever got my eyes opened to simple conversion possibilities in a very old book about 40 years ago!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2512 on: March 20, 2024, 09:44:01 AM »
Or is it just that you could technically stick two stones in a sling at the same time, which you can't do with a bow and arrow (unless you are a Hollywood Robin Hood, anyway)?

Would explain the -1 to Hit as you'd have less control.

Anyway, top work as usual. Skaven heads on goblin bodies was the first time I ever got my eyes opened to simple conversion possibilities in a very old book about 40 years ago!

Thanks!

That might be it - I checked in 3rd, which I have to hand, and the two-shot slings were in the main rules. The first-edition halfling list in Forces of Fantasy doesn't mention double shots, and slings are one-shot weapons like everything else in the main first-edition rules. So I suspect the idea came in in 2nd edition - possibly in Ravening Hordes?

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #2513 on: March 20, 2024, 11:37:08 AM »
Lovely kit-bash and paint job on those ratties. That worked an absolute treat.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2514 on: March 22, 2024, 06:28:01 AM »
Some fantastic rats here!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2515 on: March 26, 2024, 09:26:12 PM »
Thanks, both! Some kitbashed Black Skaven to follow soon.

In the meantime, here's my son's face reveal to celebrate two years of his Rust Monster channel ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9KPjFUiQU