Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Test Shots of Maiwand Diorama  (Read 3356 times)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Test Shots of Maiwand Diorama
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »
Hi,

I've been working on the following diorama (of sorts) and terrain piece. It's based on the Battle of Maiwand during the Second Afghan War. Basically the piece is mean't to double as a terrain piece and a diorama of sorts for entry into a painting comp.

You can see more pics other than the couple below and rad all about the inner workings of my mind on my Shooting Leave Blog Here:

http://allthebrave.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/maiwand-build-and-test-shots.html

Thanks for looking,
Darrell.

Offline zuluwar

• Scientist
Re: Test Shots of Maiwand Diorama
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:52:07 AM »
excellent test sir !!!! :o
haut les têtes messieurs la mitraille n'est pas de la merde !!!!

bataille du eylau (colonel lepic)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:59 AM »
excellent test sir !!!! :o

Thanks- very much appreciated!  :)

I've got a bit of work to finish the other six Brits and Bobbie the Dog of course!

They're all part of a much larger plan for a demo game of the NWF- I haven't decided whether to do a historical battle or a fictitious encounter as of yet. My preference would be for something historical.

Darrell.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »
I know it gets hot on that part of the planet but did they really cook steaks on their helmets as you are demonstrating?

lol

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
Backdrop adds a lot!  Nice.  Did you see Andy Hawes' Maiwand diorama that he did for the cover of WSS a few years back?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »
It is looking really good! Well done.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:34:54 AM »
It is looking really good! Well done.

Thanks to all for the comments, except perhaps Fifteensaway!!  :D

Backdrop adds a lot!  Nice.  Did you see Andy Hawes' Maiwand diorama that he did for the cover of WSS a few years back?

Yeah James, I have to admit that it is partly inspired by Andy's cover for WSS (Purely by coincidence I'm working on a WSS front cover now!). I'm slowly building a force for the NWF and Second AFghan WAr from Artizan, I'm mainly using Artizan but I'm including Wargames Foundry, Studio and Artizan in the collection. All brilliant sculpts in their own right- there are a few anomalies on some of the Artizan Brits (Waterbottles. helmet flashes etc.- I can bring myself to ignore the water bottles but the helmet flashes had to go!). Basically, especially among the Afghans there will be a variety of miniatures. My partner in crime is putting together a force of Afghans from the OG range. I'm doing many ranges as I plan some sort of demo eventually!

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
Thanks to all for the comments, except perhaps Fifteensaway!!  :D

Yeah James, I have to admit that it is partly inspired by Andy's cover for WSS (Purely by coincidence I'm working on a WSS front cover now!). I'm slowly building a force for the NWF and Second AFghan WAr from Artizan, I'm mainly using Artizan but I'm including Wargames Foundry, Studio and Artizan in the collection. All brilliant sculpts in their own right- there are a few anomalies on some of the Artizan Brits (Waterbottles. helmet flashes etc.- I can bring myself to ignore the water bottles but the helmet flashes had to go!). Basically, especially among the Afghans there will be a variety of miniatures. My partner in crime is putting together a force of Afghans from the OG range. I'm doing many ranges as I plan some sort of demo eventually!

Darrell.

Thanks very much for the mention, James and glad that my humble efforts are providing some inspiration, Darrell! :D Looking good so far. Keep us posted on progress with it.

I like the Artizan models. I have a unit of those to add to my Colonial forces at some point.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:09:32 AM »
Thanks very much for the mention, James and glad that my humble efforts are providing some inspiration, Darrell! :D Looking good so far. Keep us posted on progress with it.

Will do. I've actually got a unit finished now!!  :o :o :o

I like the Artizan models. I have a unit of those to add to my Colonial forces at some point.

Yeah, Mike has his very distinctive style. I think his WWII stuff is amazing and probably the zenith of his talents. The NWF stuff isn't too shabby either (apart from the odd historical faux pas).

Darrell.