Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Gamma World/TNT Post-apoc (TNT Celtos conversions 20.8.2018)  (Read 66201 times)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: My Gamma World Mutants/Post-apoc figures (Board WIP 19.11.)
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »
Wow some ace additions since I last checked in on this thread. Love the Alien crossbow conversion! Inspired!

The terrain board is fabulous it will look cracking when finished.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »
Wow, that board looks awesome.  :o :-*  You could always add some separate craters and more car wrecks for flexibility and it'd allow you to finish the boards themselves quicker.  :)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »
Really looking forward to see paint work on those buildings like you lavished on those wonderful figures.

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 06:43:47 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging comments!

Hupp n at em: thanks for the suggestion. When planning this I decided not to make anything separate. Making everything fixed makes the whole affair more durable, consistent-looking and easier to store (I have a cardboard box storage system for these). Separate pieces have their own benefits, of course.

There's some more work in process… I post these as these help my motivation – I’ve sorely missed painting some little dudes but continued to build the terrain during my hobby-time :P

I have attached all tall vegetation and covered most of the board pieces with Vallejo Sandy Paste and sand. Tree bark was used on the hillsides as well as on the ground to simulate rocky surfaces.

I’ll build a few details (junk & stuff, some finishing touches) on some of the boards before painting, but most of the resin stuff I bought is already in place.

PIC

As an afterthought some trees could have been attached after applying the paste. I had to remove some temporarily to reach certain areas. But this works, too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:32:18 AM by pahvivalmiste »

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
Re: My Gamma World Mutants/Post-apoc figures (Board WIP 30.11.)
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
Just some progress photos – everything is in place and the painting has started. Except that I ordered four more MDF boxes to be able to make this a 6x4 board :P I also ordered a ship from Amera Plastics to make a wreck and some water terrain, we’ll see what comes out of that.

The thing I’m worried is that there’s too little terrain details. The scenery also feels a little low overall – maybe I should have used washers as bases instead of the plastic ones. I have very limited skirmish game experience and I don’t get a feeling of proper setup.

Board
PIC

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:32:36 AM by pahvivalmiste »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: My Gamma World Mutants/Post-apoc figures (Board WIP 28.11.)
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2015, 06:19:21 AM »
Do you mean low as in you don't feel there are enough taller terrain pieces in the setup? It depends on the ruleset, but oftentimes skirmish games really benefit from having a variety of levels or height on the board.  I am wrestling with that issue currently myself, as my Frostgrave ruins are missing tall towers for sniping/visual effect.

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
Do you mean low as in you don't feel there are enough taller terrain pieces in the setup? It depends on the ruleset, but oftentimes skirmish games really benefit from having a variety of levels or height on the board.  I am wrestling with that issue currently myself, as my Frostgrave ruins are missing tall towers for sniping/visual effect.

I meant both the thing you mentioned and that most of the hills, cars etc. are man-height or below. I think I could construct one three-store building and add a water tower or something somewhere to get more "levels", but the height of above mentoned individual pieces remains as is. I don't really know :P

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
Since you describe one building(set) as a factory, why not a chimney, a silo, or a windmill.
As you already have a road : trucks or a bus. They're way taller than the cars and offer the possibilty of installing a platform.
barricades and/or junkpiles can be as large as you want them to be.
And there's always the overpass :

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip, zizi666. Overpass is a bit too heavy for my tastes, but a bus, silo and windmill are good options.

I bought four extra mdf pieces to build a 6x4 table as well as a plastic boat from Amera plastics...

Anyways... I have painted the basic colours (washes) to all the pieces - like this:

PIC
I still have to paint some buildings, the plants and details, do some shading and add flock (maybe some extra rubble & pieces).

This piece has some extra shading on the ground colours - I did this and then decided it's better to do all the shades when all colours are finished.

PIC
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:33:07 AM by pahvivalmiste »

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: My Gamma World Mutants/Post-apoc figures (Board WIP 15.1.2016)
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
That looks Great!
Could you please give a link where you got this mdf boxes from?

Thx

Offline Iv.An.

• Bookworm
  • Andrey Iv
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
Top-down view on board - old Jagged Alliance :)
Swimming pool :-*

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

That looks Great!
Could you please give a link where you got this mdf boxes from?

MDF is from East Riding - 300 mm bases and 25x300mm strips. The owner (Tony) cut lips to them when I asked.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »
Yes that looks really good!

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

MDF is from East Riding - 300 mm bases and 25x300mm strips. The owner (Tony) cut lips to them when I asked.

Thx a lot! I will make a look through his site !

Offline pahvivalmiste

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
O-la-la, the first terrain piece is painted and flocked! Picture quality... well...

Overview:

Close-up from the back (building!):

Another close-up from the back (don’t get any funny ideas…):

I got really fed up with painting all the plastic plants at once and decided to paint this piece to almost complete stage. I’ll probably paint the flock on the walls and add some green & other stains, but I’ll leave that ‘till the closing stages of the project.

All the other terrain pieces probably (hopefully) require less work than this as they have more paint on them already. Most of the plants are also painted… :D The plants (palms and bushes) would probably look better with some extra work, but I’m not sure if I am willing to put it into them.

Tips are welcome - this was, for example, the first time I used rust effect. I used salt to make the scratches but without an airbrush it was a bit iffy (paint underneath went away when I scraped the salty parts :P).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:34:41 AM by pahvivalmiste »