Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What rules for Cyber Punk  (Read 2817 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
What rules for Cyber Punk
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
Just watched Chappie and now want to know what are some good rules systems for Cyber Punk?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: What rules for Cyber Punk
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »
I haven't seen it so I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I assumed it wasn't so much an actual cyberpunk movie with cyberspace and hacking and such ???

Anyway, if that's your cuppa then there's obviously Infinity: the latest version (called N3) has rather detailed hacking rules and it attempts to put a lot of emphasis on actually getting players to use them. Mind you, it also has a lot of rather involved "real world" combat rules too and you can play it as an outright wargame -- which it actually is when you get right down to it. The rules are free to download from Corvus Belli.

Of the latest KS produce, Human Interface: Nakamura Tower is a boardgame that attempts to be specifically a cyberpunk game instead of a wargame with a strong cyberwar component. AFAIK it pits merc teams against each other but I assume there is a also an option to play the punkz against the ebil megacorp mainframe AI or somesuch. Have no idea how it works but some folks seem to like it. I think the rules for this one are free too, at least an alpha version was floated around during the KS.

Up and coming (still, after some two or heck maybe three years) is another somewhat similar effort, Ghosts of Hefei. It falls somewhere between N3 and HINT in being a gang warfare game with hackers in an important role. Not sure if it's available in any form yet but I have read the PDF (there is apparently problems with getting it to print correctly, which keeps dragging the project on) and it does seem fairly nice and simple to play, compared to N3 anyhow.

As a caveat, none of the above are "open" systems so you are stuck with more (GOH) or less (N3, HINT) generic troops/characters to play with if you stay complete inside the box.

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:32:50 AM »
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:19 AM »
Depending how deeply you want to explore the events inside cyberspace you can look at using the collectable card games like netrunner for a very detailed hack.
Infinity would be next down the scale in depth of cyber detail and then Rezolution which is a great cyber skirmish game that includes hacking but at a more superficial level.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:06 AM »
Someone around these parts was making a Cyberpunk adaptation for Pulp Alley. I haven't had the pleasure yet, but considering how close pulp noir and cyberpunk can be, I think this would work quite well. Pulp Alley, which I have played, is a great game which doesn't suffer from changing it's genre.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
That'd be Malebolgia's excellent thread: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK.

A really cool project and one that I've been watching with much interest...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:47 PM »
black ops by osprey

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:06 AM »
Rezolution is a perfect cyberpunk game too... http://www.aberrantgames.com/darktomorrow.html
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
black ops by osprey

I'm waiting on those myself.

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
Firewall 2136AD from wessex games offers a simple and different system - needs a good scenario/set-up to get the most out of it though