Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:22:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day." Rorke's Drift 1879 pt 2  (Read 2550 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/

"The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day." Rorke's Drift 1879 pt 2

screen shot windows 7

Fantasic game and one that i think every wargamer would love to play or be apart of, rules were Victorian Steel which worked a treat, game was fast and we managed to complete the game in under 3 hours, British held on by the skin of the teeth.

Terrain boards were created by our own Adrian from Grimsby who did a great job and even had the slope and cave plus ditch added for hidden movement for those sneaky Zulus.I think everybody knows Adrian for his talents of  http://adrianswalls.co.uk/ .

52 photos uploaded to feast your eyes on at http://www.victorian-steel.com/ i took alot of photos of this so this week its the build up of the attack with the Boers riding off ect and Zulu's beginning the attack.

"Sixty! We dropped at least 60, wouldn't you say? "

20mb image hosting

upload gambar

The post was established in a trading store-cum-mission station that consisted of a dwelling house and a chapel, both sturdily built of stone. The house was doing temporary duty as a field hospital,

"A prayer's as good as bayonet on a day like this."

image ru

free screen capture

the chapel was full of stores and there were only 104 men who were fit enough to fight. The command of the post had passed to Lieutenant Chard of the Royal Engineers, when Major Henry Spalding of the 104th Regiment left on the morning of the 22nd January.

"Rourke's Drift... It'd take an Irishman to give his name to a rotten stinking middle o' nowhere hole like this. "

upload image online

how do i print screen

Commanding a company-strength was Lieutenant Bromhead of the 24th Regiment. James Langley Dalton, a volunteer serving as an Acting Assistant Commissary and a former Staff Sergeant, ordered the construction of barricades connecting the two buildings with sacks of corn, and an inner barricade with biscuit boxes. 

screen capture windows

free photo hosting

When the Zulus attacked, wielding their short stabbing assegais, they were unable to reach the men behind the barricades and they were blasted by rifle fire at point blank range. Most of those who did mount the breastwork were repulsed by the bayonets of the defenders. Some of the Zulus were armed with rifles, purchased from unscrupulous traders, but they were not trained marksmen and the British soldiers were able to pick them off at long range.

online photo storage

The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Brilliant! Just brilliant!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
A superb looking set-up! I love looking over those Zulu hordes. Very well done, and thank you for sharing!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Love the buildings and the figures.
Super well done.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
It was a fantastic game to play in.used Victorian Steel rules with saving throw for barricades, British reaction to charges and special rules for fighting in the hospital and store rooms. British won once and got massacred in the other game when they failed to defend all the perimeter formed square and died to a man!
Queen Victoria not amused by that outcome!!!

Thanks to Adrian's walls for supplying the great terrain