Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stalled Tale from the Tin Shed,1st Engine Finished  (Read 65678 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Here's the thing at work,
I've enough information to build the engine,and image of what sort of load is reasonable.Just a case of what type of carriage to use and how to rig (track or ski's ,or both)?
I've decided to build this before I do a thirties style train( mind you these were still in use in the thirties) it'll help iron out any hidden issues before I build a more complex train and track.
As you said a very pulp vehicle and steam punk/ gothic land train( all I can hear every time I look at the idea is"rails? We don't need rails where we're going!"it's a whole game in a sentence !
Mark.

lol Matt the Peaks will not be fun,oh no no no. It will not be fun,my name will questioned along with my parentage ,many,many,times before the weekend is done.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Build it with skis!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Right ski's it is.

I've also found the engine to build. In of all places a Garden Centre.whilst being dragged round one today in the rain(apparently to relax ironically I've just spent seven days and nights out in the wind and the rain,so trudging around cultivated chunks of out doors is just what I needed to do ((or so I'm told and not go to the pub for a roast and a couple where it's warm and dry))
Right back on subject a 4-4-0 school class seems to fit the bill.It looks the part and is a very basic build only two of each wheel type on each side so keeping all the wheels looking the same it a lot easier.and there's a lot of square shapes,and flat areas behind the wheels to give support.
If I fiddle with the scaling it should be possible to build it around 20-25cm..
Carriages not sure of yet,any ideas?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror

There is a cheap Dapol kit of it in 00 gauge, that you could use for a conversion (at least salvaging the wheels).
This is a rather modern main line engine (40 were built from 1930 onwards grouping era from 1927-1943) for fast and light passenger trains, therefore you should get four-axle coaches with bogies.

This is the right stock for the SR engine: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/maunco01.html

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you Michi,
I'll go with your suggestion for the axles and bogies. It seems I was spot on with my choice(time wise)the coach work looks a little dull though.
Thank you for the model suggestion  But I really will be making it just out of cereal packet card (for the hell of it and we'll because I can lol) I do make the odd kit infact is a sea plane kit in various stages of chopped up right now. But this is a project just too see how far I can go with the limited budget and materials and I'm putting no time scale on it,this is just for fun. I'll make the previous engine on tracks first,then move onto this one.
But planning ahead is going to be invaluable ,so ideas and suggestions are welcome .
Mark.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Hi Mark
The plan book I have has the schools class in it so if I am able to get over, I shall bring it.
It also has the LMS equivalent by Fowler and Deeley, the 4P compound class.

The wagon book may help with designs for the carriages too but mainly the chassis variants.

Matt B
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Stalled Tale from the Tin Shed,(which Engine?,and what on earth else?)
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:30 AM »
Right I'm back on track,and starting the Shay engine. As I managed to get myself completely sidetracked with my pulp'd Walrus seaplane,then a pulp plane inspired by the seagull speedboat ,and then a fire engine(seems quite random until you factor in the red paint then there's some method to my madness  ;) )

This first view is a simple box frame and tube affair . Nothing fancy or even that neat as there is a layer of more detailed frames to go over the top.There just needs to be something to stick them too,as the majority of it will be hidden it doesn't matter. The whole thing is roughly 12.5cm long .
It will end up being roughly another 2-3cm long,is it to 'scale' no idea lol it's more about how it will look with figures,it's just practice that says that'll be right.
Mark.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
Very good start, it looks rather promising! Keep on...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 12:00:26 AM »
Getting to look a little more interesting .

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »
Great start! Knowing the rest of your work, this is going to be a stonker!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
That's a bit optimistic  lol
It looks a little rough around the edges mainly because of bleeding . I've used a little more glue than I'd normally use ,as there are so many edges that require sealing to stop the card from fraying,plus securing the coals in the bunker caused glue to pool and leak in some unexpected places (chiefly my on my fingers,but that's the down side of building on your knee,there's less control and accuracy than working at a desk/table).
Mark

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
I think you need to invest in one of those tv dinner trays lol

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
I've used a little more glue than I'd normally use ,as there are so many edges that require sealing to stop the card from fraying

Mark, you use the soaking-card-with-superglue-method, donīt you? I have yet to try that, but I have a clear idea of how to do it and what effects I will receive.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what you do for rails and wheels. Easy for such things to fit poorly if made out of card, but if anyone can make it work, you can.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »
Michi,
Absolutely not,I use it as an adhesive nothing more .To seal edges I apply a thin line of glue,this is absorbed in to the fibres to a depth of roughly. 0.5-1mm.no more than you'd get from normal glueing.I use it because of its speed.
Super glue can and does fume alarmingly when used on card.I'd never soak any thing in super glue.to do so is to risk injury to your eyes,and your lungs.Its an outdated and unsafe method to use glue to soak and form shapes.
Any formed shape you see in my card projects is achieved by layering and sanding,with spots of glue applied where the card is fraying.NOTHING is soaked nor will it ever be.
Thanks for the vote of confidence (no pressure then  lol) Fram,but I'm afraid the 'train' engine is after this one so you've got a while to wait. So it's tracks and skis I'm afraid .

No need for a tray,I can get back in my workshop ,all the commissions have flown the nest today.so I've room to make a mess.
Mark.