Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689764
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Muster me a unit of bill"  (Read 3660 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
"Muster me a unit of bill"
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »
In an effort to paint more stuff than I buy, and finding myself with a definite need for some Perry Agincourt metals (The pavisiers look very tasty, and I am fairly certain I need a unit of those for Lion Rampant), I've dug out some plastics I've had laying around for ages.

A quick rebasing, and hey presto - combined with the humans from my fantasy project, I have enough miniatures for an entire War of the Roses-themed retinue! There's a reason to get them painted.

So there we have my somewhat roundabout way of starting a Hundred Years War retinue; by making one for the War of the Roses. This thread is going to be a place where I can post the billmen as I finish them, and hopefully get a unit of twelve done within a reasonable time. Thus, to get started, here's the first two. Fresh off of the painting table:

The livery is no particular historical one, but more of a generic "danish" uniform. I am not too concerned with minute historical accuracy, but more of a general period feel, and having a unit I think looks great.

Right - Back to the paint station - Billmen don't muster themselves.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:03:17 PM by affun »

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Re: "Muster me a unit of bill"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Hurray, paintjobs at last!
They look very dapper in their livery. I think you're right to do them in generic colours and not be too concerned about the actual historical dyes of the clothing afforded by a Danish militia Soldier in the middel ages, they will look splendid on the tabletop!
I'm working on a late 1400's retinue for LR as well, so I can hopefully meet these guys on the field of battle in the future without it being too anachronistic.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »
Hurray, paintjobs at last!
They look very dapper in their livery. I think you're right to do them in generic colours and not be too concerned about the actual historical dyes of the clothing afforded by a Danish militia Soldier in the middel ages, they will look splendid on the tabletop!
I'm working on a late 1400's retinue for LR as well, so I can hopefully meet these guys on the field of battle in the future without it being too anachronistic.

I find that bold and uniform colour-schemes really tend to bring forces together, so thats been my primary concern. :) With regard to historicity; I am no historian, so I'd propably end up getting it wrong anyways. I do look forward to looking up and trying to replicate some heraldry, when I get to the mounted men-at-arms, though.

I'll gladly take that challenge! Just gotta get painting, and try to not get too distracted by other things. I am aiming at painting 2 a day, though we'll see how well that goes.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
Great  :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
Very nice work ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
Nice work indeed!  8) 8) 8)

Darrell.

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Nice job on the miniatures well done
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments :)

Here's the next two:

They were finished yesterday (So still on schedule), but by the time I got done, it had gotten so dark that I thought I'd wait with snapping pictures until today.

I am not entirely happy with how these guys turned out. I slacked a bit on the metals since I absolutely despise painting brigandine, but theres also a couple of other rough spots. Still; no one will notice that in the unit. Just gotta do better on the next two  :D

Here's a group shot:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:19:34 PM by affun »

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Those are excellent looking bases on them!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark