Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Going Ronin with my Buntai  (Read 16261 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Going Ronin with my Buntai
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
my fellow Ronin
finally I took some more picture of some more minis for Ronin.

Some of these You may know already ... still no improvements on the pix. Sad but true, the cam is not of much worth. But then, my faces still have no highlights. And they are a bit dark. Goes well with the bandits, but then ... see for yourself.  ;)

Some highclass Samurai I may use for various Buntai, depending. Second from right fits a bit to my Ashigaru, but will do as any Ikko-Ikko-Commander as well. Acompanied by a Shugyosha and an unavoidable Ninja. One Ninja always comes in handy.

My bandit's peasants. I put espescially these minis together into the bandit-buntai, so that I have a more coherent group. And it has something of a camouflage, me thinks. though it was used against rain.

Finally - for the moment - the fighters of my bandit-buntai. All in all a Buntai of 16 modells. That is something to start with ^^

Oh, and I have these "objectives" ... something to live, die, kill .. and game for  :D

best wishes
DK
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:54:40 PM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Going Ronin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
I quite like your brushwork.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:34 AM »
These look great. Hope more are incoming

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
Outstanding. Where are the objectives from?

cheers

CW

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments.

The objectives are partly Pardulon and partly ... tabletop-art, if I recall it correctly. Both resin. Mixed it a bit, still have some left for smaller objectives or pimping backyards later on.
The bases are selfmade. Just plastic card and wooden stripes (?) on it. No particular gaming-reason for the size.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Battle-Report Sohei vs Korean (with red Ming-minis) - pic heavy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
This is from a Ronin-battle already a while ago, now I got some time to switch the German report into English as well. Hope, my English will do, and the story is nearly as good, as the sweet victory felt at the time. ;)

Attack at dusk

A small group of Monks from Kyo Rin, was lead by Grandmaster Getsumei to see if there was any substance to some rumors of an attack of Koreans at a local village. He has been there at a local shrine a few days ago and when he returned from his meditation to the village to ask for some food he was told about it. So he headed back to his temple.

Now, his small warband consists of three of his most trusted Senior-Sohei, all of which volountered. He brought two of his young Initiates with their Teppo. Though he knew better Getsumei was a bit curious how this would turn out, since they where not experienced, only one had tasted the air of a battle.
So, now they were stading at the edge of a forest near the village, thinking about how to approach.

Still puzzled, how to start, they heard the alarm sounded at the village. So the rumours were true. The enemy started his attack with the beginning of the night.

Well, then - Grandmaster Getsumei thought - that might be their first mistake. Quickly Getsumei gave some orders and his little troup spread out to scatter along the border of the forest. Through the trees he saw the villagers run to their homes, getting out of sight and danger.

The viallage’s barns and sheds were spread at a little clearing, surrounded by dense patches of bamboo. To the right some acres reached from the trees to the houses.
From his position Grandmaster Getsumei could vaguely see how his enemy spread out himself.
It would be important to deny entry to the villages not only at one keypoint, but threee. He thanked Buddha, that there were less enemies than expected, maybe just a small force to scout the area for a bigger raid. But that thought had to wait. However, he knew the enemy from other stories. They were called „The Reds“, cunning men from Korea.

He ordered his Initiates to hide behind a big barn with their eyes and Teppo to the middle of the village, keeping the center in range.
But the Initiate moved to slow, to carless or has misjudged the distance ... the detail doesn’t matter. Suddenly some arrow zipped through the air and hit the Initiate’s shoulder. Thank Buddha, the Initiate was more shocked than hurt. Getsumei hoped it to be a warning to concentrate. His clothes punched, but no wound.

He was thinking about to reconsider his plan, when a rider galopped into the village and positioned himself to the left flank.
Getsumei tried to get closer and peeked through some bamboo trying to see more.
Between the poles he looked and saw, that the rider was the leader, a battle hardened man. After a short nod Grandmaster Getsubei’s troup started to move in.
To the left some more arrows zipped through the breeze and a sharp scream prooved that at least one had found its mark.
The battle had startetd in earnest now, and Grandmaster Getsumei had already lost the first round. because the eenemy had positioned himswelf well and owned the right flank.

Getsumei looked to the sky. It would get dark soon, because the sky was heavy with clouds and it was obvious, that the enemy hoped to attack within that cover. But Getsumei knew better, because at this time of year clouds did not last long and it was a full moon. The clouds would be gone soon. But for the moment, shadows were getting deeper and darker by the moment.
He adusted his plan, to use that temporarily darkness. Determined he moved in, using every shadow. His brothers would know what to do. 

Between some sheds Grandmaster Getsumei looked to the right flank. There one of his SeniorSohei had been able to reach a big heap of wood controlling the area. But then, as soon as he would leave it he would be without covers. No Ying without Yang.

Even more arrows zipped from the other side of the village. Obviously the enemy had found his locations, too. But again, nothing serious happend, however the Koreans closed in as well. On the left flank with the riding leader his othe Senior-Sohei took cover behind a barn.

Again some arrows, Getsumei asked Buddhy for his insight and some helpful guideance. He had to stop that bowmen. May the local Kami get them, he muttered. He had to take them out. He could not sse anything, but a wet plopp and an even louder cry signified - by the sound he recognized on of his Senior-Sohei, maybe Suru - prooved, that this time there was some serious damage. No time for that now. He had to move, getiing to those Yumi.

Senior-Sohei Suru stood at the edge of his cover, a shed. The darkness closed in too. There was little to see now. His wound in his right leg hurt, distracting him. Out of shock he had pulled out the arrow too quick. A mistake. He felt the bleeding, the tip still stuck. He glanced to his temple brother, who has taken cover insode some bamboos. He signed, but it ws hardly to see his reply, that he also could not see anything as well.

Suddenly there were hooves sounding through the night. All he could do, was to block the sudden attack with his Naginata. But the force of the blow took his breath.

As soon as it started it was over, the leader used the darkness to get away. Suru pressed his back against the barn’s wood.

He must not get distracted from his wound. But it hurt and he was angry with himself not being able to have avoid that arrow. But distraction was death. He murmered a silent Mantra and tried to concentrate. He still felt the bleeding.

Far away on the other flank at Senior-Sohei Takeshi’s position some Koreans had used the darkness to get closer. and run towards him.

Takeshi risk a glance back to the Initiates. At least they had finally managed to take their cover behind that sheds. On of them was hit by an arrow, too, maybe a light wound. Bt his position was good, exactly their Grandmaster wanted them to be.

This short distraction nearly was his death. Was there a shadow? Or not ? Was there some movement? A hushed muffled voice? No, over there across the field was the other Korean. SeniorSohei Takeshi felt secure

Suddenly - like Getsumei had expected - the clouds riped open and the bright moonlight filled the clearing. Takeshi was shocked. He had made a mistake, because one of the Koreans, which he bleieved to be ar away was a third man. Could he leave his cover now? Three fighters! So the bowmen still must be there. But then, the third fighter has to be stopped. Mitsuhei pledges himelf into the hands of the kami of the forest and attacked.

In the middle Getsumei moved forward, he forced himself to check the Initiate’s heavy wound. There was no other way, these Yumi has to be wiped out. No matter what.
For now no enemy was close enough to use the Teppo, so he ordered his Initiate to get in contact with the other one, helping him. Ist was quite  silent on the right flank.
Was there something wrong?

Yes, when the Initate finally hobbled to his friend, he was alread in a fight for his live with a Korean. He tried to be quicker, but he would not make it.
He tought about shooting, but the risk of hitting his freidn was to big.

While he tried to get at terms with himwelf, the Korean hit. The mighty blow with his sword struck. But right that instance it was to much for his friend, his knees gave way and this involuntarily movement saved him from the sword.

And suddenly the heard some fighting from behind the shed, too.
He thought that this was not what he had in mind, when he entered the temple some years ago. He had seeked peace and a place for meditation.

While both the initates fought for their lives, Takeshi had attacked the third man. That man had to be taken out as yuick as possible, only then he could help the Initiates. They could not hope to stand against an skilled fighter in cloce combat and weren’t ment to.

Takeshi's weapon rose ...

... and he landes a powerful strike.

His enemy was hit hard, the Naginata had struck home. The Korean tried to defend himself with his two swords but was getting weaker by the second, too climsy to use the two swords to any good.
Takeshi finished him with a second stroke. For the moment the right flank was his and he took the luxury of a few deep breaths. What to do next?

Two Koreans yelled their anger across the field.
Takeshi smiled. Let them. His Grandmaster jumped into the moonlight from some shed close to the field right. Getsumei obviously had moved himself right behind a bowman.

Using the impact of his jump Grandmaster Getsumei’s Tetsubo fell like a lightning down an the head of the poor Koren.
Maybe the bowman hadn’t even realized what had hit him. He sank to the ground, his skull mashed into a bloody mess.

When Seniorsohei Takeshi saw, that the  Initates where able to withdraw themselves from the fight, he calmed down a bit, having more time to think. There was still that bowman across the field.
But now it was more even. The Koreans still owning the left flank, the Sohei owning the right.

And soon the Initiates would blew the Korean out of this world with their Teppo.

But on the left side the fight went on, too.
Both Senior-Soheis had used signs to mock up a hasty plan. Suru could barely walk, so he stayed, keeping an eye on the back in case the Leader might return.

From the middle of the village Suru heard some fighting and two shots. Most likely Grandmaster Getsumei was leading the central fighting with his two Initates.
Surus thoughs drift away into the distance, he felt at ease and lightweighted. He felt the cool, fresh air and the bright moonlight made the world clear and sharp. In the back of his mind, he tried to rmemeber something - something important.

And suddenly the leader attacked again. Suru knew, he would die now. He still was skilled enought to nearly avoid the first blow but not entirely.

Suru glanced back to his temple brother Mitsuo, which was attacking a Korean who was distracted by the fight of his own leader with him, Suru.

But Suru knew, this was it. He gathered his senses a last time and attacked.
Suru ignored his defence completely and used all the strength he could still muster. He thrust his Naginata forward, to drove his Naginata upwards in an attemp for the dancing crane between saddle and armoury into the intestines of his enemy.
First he thought, it had worked, but then he felt a blade himself.
He wonderd why it did not hurt anymore. The moonlight was of sharp blueish white, the night cool. It nearly had worked. His last thought was of Mitsuo.

Mitsuo was fighting against the bowman when the sound of fighting died and hooves were to be heard again., coming closer. Suru had not made it.

The bowman was a well skilled fighter. Mitsuo could bring down some strikes and hits, but despite heavily wounded, the bowman still stood. He could not made a final hit. Dizzy and stubborn his enemy refused to die.

The Korean Leader came around the corner, giving new strength to the bowman.

Meanwhile Grandmaster Getsumei had been run to the middle of the center of the village, cause he saw his Initiates in grave danger. Takeshi had to hold the right flank. There was just Getsumei to help or no one.

But it was to no avail. Grandmaster Getsumei wasn’t fast enought. He could only watch his pupils die.

Then Grandmaster Getsumei could see as well, how Senior-Sohei Mitsuo now fought against two enemies. Will he die, too? Is that the end?

The Korean Bowmantried to distract Mitsuo for his leader to settle the score, but Mitsuo was a good fighter as well and his Naginata gave him the advantage of the distance.
He thought about his temple brother and friend Suru lying dead behind a barn. 
He thought about that this rider had killed Suru.
He thought about a dancing crane and drove his Naginata upwards between the saddle and the ememy’s armour. The leader sank from his saddle and fell heavily on the ground.
The dancing crane was not his favorite thrust with a Naginata, it has been Suru’s. They often had argued about that move. In his mind he saw Suru smiling.

When the bowman saw his leader dead on the ground, the spirit to fight seems to have lost the Koreans.

Mitsuo looked into the eye of the bowman. There seemed to be enought blood for the night. Mitsuo slightly lowered his weapon, but not his guard. The bowman stumbeld a step backwards, then two, three. Then the shadow of a barn swallowed him.

Mitsuo went back to his comrade Suru and found him dead, where they have parted. There was a smile on his face.
The others soon would come, too. The sound of the horses disappeared into the night, should the villagers have it. The battle was over and silence crept in instead. The night was cool and clear.

... and thanks for reading this far  :-*

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: Going Ronin (29.08. with Battle-Rep added, pic heavy)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
made two games of Ronin with a new one. It was quite fun.

first game was a 100p showing-the-rulez-Game, Sohei vs mix-Rank Bushi, the fellow played the Bushi, I played Sohei and won
second one was a 150p Sohei vs Bandits, this time I gave the Sohei to the new one and played bandits myself, Sohei won again

The second was interesiting insofar, as I had 12 minis vs 7 of the Sohei.
However, though it seems overwhelming odds with 12 minis, it were 6 peasants, 4 Bandtis and 2 pimped Ronin (swords4hire), the Sohei seemed to have no problem with that.
I think I had to do more testing with the bandits, so far I do not have the shot at it.

love that game - need more playing  :-*

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:23:59 AM »
So ... had another game with bandits, no pix this time, sorry.

Scenario was to plunder a village, which turned out as a ninja school. ^^
I played 22 bandits with 15 peasants, 2 Ronin, 1 Senior-Ronin, 4 bandits surrounding the village. My opponent played 11 ninja based on the Koryu-faction. If I recall it right, 2 rank 5 (with shugyosha), some rank 4, 3, the rest filled.up with novices and such.
He started within, two mission marker inside, one outside.

Every turn we counted victory points from controlled markers.
In the end, the ninja won, but it was much closer than I'd expected. However, I made most of the VPs by counting the ranks of the kills.

Then ... another thing ... few days back my Rackham Confro Asia Goblins came. Want to use them as my mystical faction. Don't know yet how,how to put the list.
Have an idea of using bandits with one dai bakemono, the rest with profiles of bandits. Or maybe the complete list out of mystical profiles... still unclear. Need to paint first anyway. ^^

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
only saw this thread now, love the atmospheric writeup

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »

Then ... another thing ... few days back my Rackham Confro Asia Goblins came.

Got quite a few of those models myself. Lovely sculpts. I wrote the Mythical creatures rules just to field them every now and then:  https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources

cheers

CW

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:13:31 PM »
Hello Craig-san ^^

the author himself, I am honored *bow* ;)

yes, I know these, up until now I never used them, but wanted to. Needing cool minis, though, don't I?

One list is including an Oni (Confro Dai Bakemono) into a Bandit list (but playing the human profils with these gobos.
The other list is a complete list made from the mystical profiles, although not all the models will fit the "Japanese oni/kami fluff" behind it anyway.
I also got these lovely gobbo-Dame, the one with the dead fish on the top.

However, new list, new mini, new paintjobs. ^^

Offline AWOL

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
I hadn't spotted the batreps before, the writeup in the first one is really impressive and engaging.

The scenario in the second one, with the buntai attacking a ninja school, sounds incredibly fun. I might take some inspiration from that. :)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »
thanks for the kind words.
We usually make up some scenarios on the fly, before starting. Meeting in the middle is usually a good setup just for starting, learning the rules.

I especially love tp play on terrain which is NOT equally placed and more natural, if agreed by the others.
Village on one side forest the other, etc.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
4grounds
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
finally I could lay my hands on my own 4ground eldar's house. And I am still impressed.
Flashed, really. That thing is cool.
And though I judge nyself not the dumbest "bastler" I think I am not able to make such a filigrane house, Japanese style.
All the more because - since I already started glueing - I will be ready within a few evenings. I know, I know, the way is part of the goal, but ... well ... that thing is cool. ^^

I really haven't seen a better thought-through craft-set. Mostly very well fitting, too. I tested it first, by putting most of it together without glue. And it held just on its own. Could not have lifted it, I guess, but still. Most parts just fit together, with reasanable minor exceptions.

However, I strongly recommend not to underestimate the sets! A little bit experience is not a mistake. At least some sort of patience, mostly when cutting the tiles out of their "sprues". But as well when putting them together, cause the are reallllly filigrane. Nothing's broken so far, though.

I can't wait to attack/defend my come-to-be-village!!  ;D

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
tried something, for I do not want to thatch the whole roof, nor tile it completely ... what do you folkes think? Not much glue involved, so - changes and modifications possible.

hope, one can see the pic ..