Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS (painted miniatures on page 4)  (Read 24107 times)

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
Re: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
Several of the list posted mentioned heavy armor or knights. That's going to be tough to find plate armor in a barbarian miniature.
It's true, but as plate armor and knights are so often mentionned, I think I'll use Dark Age style rank and file mixed with a few units of knights.
I'm working on a similar project and using High Elves for Melniboneans, Dark Elves for Pan Tangians, and probably mostly armies from the Middle Ages. I'm thinking of using more Eastern European troops to give a more exotic feel.
In my imagination, Pan Tangian looks like ancient Assyrians. So bearded Dark Elves maybe ? :D
I realy like the GW Pan Tangian range, even if the figures are hard to find. I'll stick to this range to build a Pan Tangian army. But GW plastic cold ones could be used to make Pan Tang six-legged giant reptiles.
As far as the other nations of the young Kingdoms go, a mix of styles from historical ranges would get my vote. If you can track down any of the above mnentioned comics, they would provide you with plenty of inspiration. (No, you can't have mine!  )

Could we have some scans of the pictures, please ?  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 09:04:36 AM »
Siaba, If you don't mind waiting until tonight, I'll see if I can scan some and post the pics.

I seem to remember there is a good spread of pictures from the Sailor on the Seas of Fate, when they are on the island with the pirates from different countries and times, and the illustrations in the Stormbringer adaptation are everything you would expect from P. Craig Russel.   

Leave it with me, anyway.  ;)

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
No problem Jollybob, I can wait for several days if necessary.
Warfare in the Young Kingdoms is a long term project. I'm just beginning to collect miniatures and informations for the moment.  :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
Hey Siaba,

These actually weren't as useful as I'd remembered, but you might find something in there to create a spark in your own imagination.

First up we have (from Stormbringer) Elric and some Imryrrian troops at the very top, Tarkeshites in top left, the winged men of Myrrhn top right, Shazarians bottom left and the famous White Leopards at the bottom right.

Second (also from Stormbringer) the king of Dharijor, Jagreen Lern -Theocrat of Pan Tang, and a couple of frames of Pan Tangian soldiers.

Third, the brigands from Sailor on the Seas of Fate, various nationalities and time periods.

Fourth, another version of the White Leopards, more barbaric in style (from The Weird of the White Wolf).

Fifth, Theleb Ka'arna and the Kelmain Host of half-men from The Vanishing Tower.

Sixth, some members of the Easterling horde from beyond the Weeping Waste (The Bane of the Black Sword)

And finally, a shot of the unidentified "Southlander" pirate captain from Elric of Melnibone's fight in the Sea Maze.

Like I said, probably not as useful as I had remembered them being, but I hope you can find something in there of help.

(And sorry for the huge, bandwidth stealing post.  :()

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
Thank you very much, Jollybob!!  :)

you might find something in there to create a spark in your own imagination.

You're right. Even if corresponding figures would be hard to find, that's a good guideline for the more obscure nations. It'll be useful.  ;)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
You're welcome.

The rest of the ilustrations were mainly generic fantasy/medieval types, not really worth bothering scanning pictures of blokes in boots, doublet and cape really as there's plenty of source material for that out there.

Berst of luck with the project, please keep us updated with it.  :)

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »
Thank you very much. I'll post updates of the project.
In the meantime, anyone having pictures of the Young Kingdoms inhabitant (or fantasy figures ranges to suggest  ;)) is welcome.  :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
Thank you very much. I'll post updates of the project.
In the meantime, anyone having pictures of the Young Kingdoms inhabitant (or fantasy figures ranges to suggest  ;)) is welcome.  :)

So anyway now you have me back into reading Elric after 15 years absence and reminding me of why I bought stormbringer the rpg all those years back, don't know where its gone now.

I have looked at a few ranges and think that Reaper Dark Heavens range looks promising, I have purchased some highlanders, barbarians and some warriors of kjord which seem to fit thebill for southern barbarians and are nice sculpts.

the west wind range of elves looks promising for melniboneans as do the nordfolk for other humans

and the assault group do some nice renaisance figures poles, ottomans etc.. which may fit for other nations.

don't know about size compatibility but I hope that helps

dodge

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
Thank you very much!  :)
I don't want to use historical figures as they would make me think to their historical counterparts. But I'll have a close look at the REAPER range you mentionned.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
I was just thinking about this again the other day when I was looking at the Sidhe miniatures for Celtos:

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/NoFrames/CLT/CLTThe%20Sidhe.html

It occurred to me that they would make excellent Imryrrians, and actually remind me of some of the illustrations I mentioned in my earlier post. If I remember later tonight I will try and find some decent pictures in the comics and scan them for you to show you what I mean. 

They even have a passable Elric:

And a sneaky looking Yyrkoon:

The only drawback is that there isn't a lot of variation in the range, but there is certainly enough for most basic troop types. Funky weird dragon rider things too.   :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:51:30 AM by JollyBob »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »
oh man those are cool looking , I had thought of looking at the celtos range and those really fit the images in my head especially yrkoon.

wow

I'm really getting into this thread its grrrrrrrrrrrreat..........

dodge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 05:02:53 PM »
Okay, here's the clearest pictures I can find from the comics (both from Elric of Melnibone, art by P. Craig Russel)

I think the Celtos Sidhe would make pretty good proxies for them:

I'm talking myself into yet another project here... :? lol

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »
I think I'm already in, Reaper minis on the way ordered friday. Delivered to home the wife is going to kick my useless butt

and now these celtos minis too, bugger and botheration  >:D

dodge

Offline winterborn

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
Elric

http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/productionqueue.php

Scroll down to Ceril, pretty much how i always viewed elric. Thinking of picking him up and just putting him in any game I run.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be the light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »
Thank you!
You're right. This figure could easily be used for Elric.
But finding the original Citadel Elric figures isn't so difficult. Melnibonean rank and files are more difficult to obtain and Pan Tangian warriors seems to be very rare  :-[