Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS (painted miniatures on page 4)  (Read 24178 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »

My friend still has these for sale - £2.00 each plus postage at cost.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
This is also a project I have been dabbling with over the last few years.
Given that the GW/Citadel High Elf and Dark Elf ranges susbsumed many of the Eternal Champions range figures, I decided to use these to model a Melnibonean army, practically unaltered, led by my Eternal Cahampions Elric figure. The High Elves, in particular the 'Dragon Princes', and others have been given a more sinister makeover to create Imrryrian nobles.
Other infantry such as swordsmen and axemen have been given various unusual colour schemes to the same effect (sadly out of focus)

The latest plastic Dark Elves on Cold Ones are well worth a punt as Pan Tangian cavalry, if you don't mind their Reptile mounts losing 2 legs in translation and doing some ear-hacking. A lot of the Dark Elf motifs - kraken, octopi etc are a homage to the original Pan Tangian figures.
I'm in the process of adapting a GW Lotr Fell Beast and High Elf rider to recreate the classic Rodney Matthews poster of Elric and the dragons...

While some of the GW demonic creations with Chaos emblems do well as minions/manifestations of Arioch

Black Tree Design (I think) even do a giant toad swallowing someone!
ATM I'm modelling some Giant Owls to recreate (ultimately) both sides at the Battle of Sequaloris. The winged Myrrhyn may also have to be scratchbuilt, though there are some good wing sets out there available for making conversions.
For Young Kingdoms nations I take the classic illustrations from the books and references in the novels (slender though these are). These cite jerkins, brigandines, jacks, as well as long swords and plate armour. This screams High Medieval HYW or Wars of the Roses to me, but with a fantasy twist. I quite fancy a regiment of Pavisier equipped HYW spearmen as Jharkorian infantry, with possibly Hussites as Shazarian or Tarkeshite infantry, supplemented by various C14-C15 cavalry, possibly utilising medieval Russians, Poles or other more exotically equipped troops. With so little references to go on, you can either argue that there's too little to go on or use it as a blank canvas for your imagination. I quite fancy doing ALL the Jharkorian troops with variations on the leopard/lion blazon - in different heraldic poses and field colours, but reserving white for Queen Yishana and her bodyguard...That could look rather good imo.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:12:17 PM by sukhe_bator »
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
Very inspiring, Sukhe Bator!! :)
I'll perhaps follow your example except for Pan Tangians which I imagine fat and bearded  lol
Nice idea to place the Young Kingdoms in a HYW technological level.
Don't hesitate to post more pictures of your armies!!  ;)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
Will do so. Next off the production line will be one of my Giant Owls. It is still very much a wire armature covered in Green stuff at present

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
Latest pics of work in progress - Green of a Giant owl awaiting the addition of feather detailing

And two misc. figures from the spares box retrofitted with some old Ral Partha wings to become Winged men of Myrrhyn
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:12:57 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »
Wow , clever that owl is a right beast and a half  :D

dodge

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »
Latest pic of the Giant Owl - still a long way to go but at least I've now done the primary feathers and most of the top wing
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:13:11 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
well done that is coming along well, impressive  :D

dodge

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
Yes, very impressive.Nice work.
Don't hesitate to post other pictures of your armies, Sukhe-bator.  ;)

Not much avancement on my side at the time present. Too many things to do with historical projects. But I still continue to buy CITADEL figures and have a more precise idea of figures I'll use for other peoles of th Young kingdoms.

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »
Great ideas here. I haven't read Moorcock for years - must dig out the old Elric books - Hawkmoon was my favourite I think
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
There would be nice things to do with Hawkmoon too. Lot of battles in the books.
The main problem is to represent the "Grandbretons" (sorry, don't know the english word for them) and their masks. But a rang of lead or resin mask woud allow to make conversions with WOTR or early renaissance figures  :)

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
Granbretan - presque la meme chose (excuse my terrible French!)
The beast masks were an inspiration, I thought - I liked the way they had their own languages as well, sounding a bit like the animals they represented
Count Brass was very cool too

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
Your french is excellent!
I like the Hawkmoon books too. The tragic millenium setting is a great idea.
I mastered the Hawkmoon rpg when it was translated (and improved) in french. This rpg got a lot of success in France and local authors have added many companion books who describes the world more deeply. There were even a book on tragic millenium fleets with rules for naval battles. Great inspiration, too!

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
Any suggestions on a good figure for Count Brass?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »
I always though the leader of this lot would make a good Count Brass:

Voland's Venators from the GW Dogs of War. Its probably down to the paint scheme as much as anything else. Still, he'd be a good base for a conversion.