Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689734
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS (painted miniatures on page 4)  (Read 24153 times)

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Re: Warfare in the YOUNG KINGDOMS
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »
He looks the part - give him a flame-lance.
I like the horse-armour
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
Any suggestions on a good figure for Count Brass?
Well, if I remember the pictures in the rpg well any knight figure with a moustache could do the trick. The one shown by Jollybob is nice. I would just had longer hairs with greenstuff and paint him as an old man.
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Had a closer look at the Perry Miniatures plastic boxed sets of Wars of the Roses figures the other day. For under 20 GBP for 40 infantry or 12 mounted figures they seem an absolute must for Young Kingdoms troops...

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Well, I would rather had used them for Tragic Millenium armies.....with some wolf or hawk resin heads, they coul even pass as Greatbritons  ;)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
Nice idea Siaba!

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
The current 'consensual / standard appearance' of Elves (with their distinctive suppository-shaped helmets) comes from Minifigs 'Aureola Rococo' ones and early Citadel miniatures, both ranges taken straight from Rodney Matthews' covers for Elric books (the Citadel / Marauder Dark Elves were sold at first as Melniboneans).

Thus good Dark Elves would provide the Melniboneans (the Imperials clad in 'Chinese imperial' yellow, Cymoril's Leibstandarte in sky blue -in exile they turned less uniform and with 'barbarian' details, but DE with cloaks of reptilian skin, for instance, would fit the bill).

Long ago Archive produced a limited 'Elric' range; their cataphracts of Shazar were not bad *for their time of sculpting*

but quite generic (without even the plume mentioned in the novel): far better cataphracts are available now; a Renaissance Turk / Persian / Moghul heavy cavalryman riding an Ancient cataphract horse would probably come even closer to the written description.

The Pan Tang marines and navy officers wear breastplates (or full back- and breastplate cuirass) over mail or scale armor; sounds rather 'Late Byzantine' 'Saracen'?

The original, quite distinctive Minifigs Aureola Rococo 'Knights of the Silver Rose' (already of quite 'heroic' size) and also available mounted:  left :

would set a Young Kingdom  -or maybe even Melnibonean?- army apart from mainstream 'quasi-medieval' Fantasy. The same for the Sharadan Lords of Darkness. I read that some parts of the AR range are re-issued?

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Yes, Byzantine or armoured arabs could pass as pan tangians.
Concerning the cataphract, he as a distinct sarmatian look in my opinion.
Thank you, as always, for this very informative stuff, Abdul  ;) :)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
Btw, Siaba, what about the Ténèbres du Siècle des Lumières?

I try to promote the genre on the TMP '18th C. Imagi-Nations' board on of course here.

Do you follow the great 'Devil in Jersey'  "Lovecraftian FWI" campaign advertised on the Gothic Horror board here? Too bad forums don't allow cross-posting, some regulars of the 'Pikes, Muskets and Flouncy Shirts' could be intrigued.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Too much thing to do to continue for the moment, alas  :'(

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
The original, quite distinctive Minifigs Aureola Rococo 'Knights of the Silver Rose' (already of quite 'heroic' size)

(also available mounted:  left)

would set a Young Kingdom army apart from mainstream 'quasi-medieval' Fantasy. I read that some parts of the AR range are re-issued?
Yes, here:
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=35
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
I love those Rodney Matthews illustrations and still have Posters of his Elric related work.  :-* :-*
The Aureola Rococo range Elves are derived from Matthews' depictions of the People of the Pines from the Corum novels while others such as the Executioner are based on Frank Frazetta's work.
These are old school figures, lacking the definition of later scults, but if you have the patience they can be very rewarding to do. I'd certainly consider giving them a punt and Hats off to Caliver for reissuing these...thanks guys for a blast from the past! ;)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
Not to be pedantic, just a burst of nostalgia, but the Minifigs AR Elvin Dragon Masters were copied straight from a Rodney Matthews painting of Elric riding the oldest dragon (can't remember its name at the moment) in the Flamebringers.
The Aureola Rococo minis are indeed 'Old School' sculpts, but the photos don't do them justice. The human males are closer to 'modern' 28mm size than those in previous Minifigs ranges, such as Valley of the Four Winds (those brittle wings on the helmets! Still hating them with a passion).

Don't know in the present case, but I don't trust comics too much: the depiction of warriors in the Conan ones were ridiculously at odds with the original texts (re. 'The Black Colossus', specially). Then, Wendy Pini (of Elfquest fame) published her drawings for an aborted project of an animated Elric film "Law and Chaos: The "Stormbringer" Animated Film Project", it could be interesting?

For the Orders of Granbretan several manufacturers offer sets of [NOT Jaffa™?] SF helmets with animal masks (no boars so far I fear, unfortunately; neither cranes to convert ladies, one would have to sacrifice and behead Tethru from Crocodile Games Gods of Aegyptus); the small high-tech details would not be too embarrassing, given the 'weird science' of the Runestaff world. Sorry, no names or links, 'alternate 40k' is not my cup of tea, just saw them on the web.
Btw, how would you depict a firelance? The historical Chinese pattern is far too primitive for a civilization with ornithopters. A knightly lance / flamethrower combination, or something even more 'sophisticated', with the (diamond) spearhead inside the blowtorch 'mouth'?

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »
I've been repurchasing my old melnibonean/eternal champions from citadel as well.  I'm going to use them with my Epic Heroes fantasy rules for Brink of Battle.

I think I'm finally settled on my color schemes, so brush might hit model soon.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Stronghold Terrain

• Lurker
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Brilliant work! But I think some buildings from Stronghold Terrain are missing. ;)

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »
Not dead which eternal lie.....

Thanks to the advice of all who submitted in this topic, I have started my Young Kingdoms project last september. My idea is to build the armies involved in  the battle of Sequaloris (Pan Tang and Dharijor vs Jarkhor, Tarkesh, Shazaar, Melnibonean mercenaries and Myrrhin wigned men allies)

I plan to use Dragon Rampant as a ruleset ant the units have been built for this rule.

Let's start with a unit of Pan-Tangian infantrymen (old Citadel miniatures)