Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 391189 times)

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Frostgrave - Rules
« Reply #1635 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:04 PM »
Is that (that it's to a maximum of +5, and not that it can be taken 5 times so +7) written anywhere? Someone said it was in the FAQ but I couldn't see it, they may have meant this thread, but I can't find it (which is probably because I've not put the right search terms in).

Would like to be able to give the poster on FB a definite post, rather than just someone's opinion (no offense).
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #1636 on: September 10, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
It's there on p56, first sentence of the paragraph on Improving a stat:

"...up to the maximum shown in brackets. Fight (+5), Shoot (+5), Will (+8), Health (20)."

The dead give away is the Health stat is a maximum of (20). It's not another 20 Health points, it is a maximum of 20.

Remember also that Fight, Shoot and Will are all +X attributes, so the +Y is not an additional +Y maximum, it is the maximum that that attribute can be.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1637 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
It's there on p56, first sentence of the paragraph on Improving a stat:

"...up to the maximum shown in brackets. Fight (+5), Shoot (+5), Will (+8), Health (20)."
Which doesn't help, as I'd already pointed out that could be read in a different way on my first post.  ;)

But doesn't matter, as Joe has replied on the FB thread, so all good.

Offline Knabe

• Bookworm
« Reply #1638 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
Darkson,

What was Joe's reply on FB?  Or do you have the FB link?

I don't normally use FB but looks like I may be missing some interesting discussions.

Thanks,
Knabe

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1639 on: September 13, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline Knabe

• Bookworm
« Reply #1640 on: September 13, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
Thanks much Dark son

Knabe

Offline Hexenmeister

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1641 on: September 25, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »
1. Can spellcasters drink potions and cast spells in the same turn? Rulebook says that one action always must be movement, but also in the potion section that ANY of a figures two actions can be used to drink a potion. So if you don't use Dark Alchemy, is it possible to drink a potion of invulnerability, and then teleport?

2. Shooting. Figures roll their shooting stat vs target fight stat. But what about magic weapons? My Captain has (with Equipment) a +6 fight stat, it makes it almost impossible for ranged weapons to kill him, since there is mostly always atleast one or two covers in the way. So do you roll vs. the original fight stat when shooting or do you also count magic weapons/dual-wielding bonuses? If the former is true, why? I personally find it abit unbalanced that increasing your fight roll with equipment also increases your defences against ranged weapons. Therefore it's mostly better to buy Magic Weapons instead of armour, since they help you in both ways.

3. It was stated earlier, that it's possible to group activate a figure, then transpose it and then move it full distance. I'm asking myself: how is this possible? On the basis of the official errata, you can either a) activate all figures within 3'' one after another or b) move all of them together and then handle all of their second actions together. In neither case the figure would be able to move after being transposed. a) -> you activate your war hound and move him full distance. Then you activate your wizard and cast transpose on a third miniature and the war hound. After that you can't activate the third figure anymore because it's not within 3'' of the wizard anymore. b) -> You move everything and then cast transpose. Since every figure already moved, all you could do is use it's second action to move half distance.

4. Does any of you have good house rules for the assassin from Forgotten Pacts? Right now it doesn't really feel as an assassin. The poison is good, but the other rule doesn't feel right for a stealthy murderer. For me, an assassin is someone who operates on his own and then strikes someone out of the shadows. The support rule he has only works right with other figures. So if you want to use your "assassin" as best as you can, you move him together in a group. In my opinion thar rule fits a supporting spearfighter way more than a lone killer. I was thinking of just using the tunnel fighter rules for my figure. Or change the rule into that he always get's a supporting bonus but therefore never gives one (basically giving him a +4 fight stat, if he operates on his own). Any other ideas?

5. Shooting weapons from Spellcaster Magazine. Why do the weapons cost more than a soldier with it? If I missfire and loose a musketeers weapon for example, it's cheaper to buy a new musketeer than to replace it's musket.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:55:14 AM by Hexenmeister »

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1642 on: September 27, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
1. "he may use one of his actions" - not "any", so given that one action has to be a Move, no you can't drink a potion and cast a spell (unless you've got another action somehow).

2. Modified Fight stat.  While having a high Fight does help you not get hit, it won't help you save damage if you are (unlike Armour, Magic or otherwise), as your opponent will probably have had to roll higher to hit you, meaning they will cause more wounds.

3. "that started the phase within 3"" & "Only those soldiers within 3" of the spellcaster before any movement occurs are eligible for group activation" - in your example, you declare the group activation, then move hound, cast, then the 3rd model takes it's action. As long as it was within 3" at the start of the phase or before any movement, it can still be group activated, it doesn't say it still has to be within 3".

4. Not used him so won't comment.

5. Last line under "Soldiers with Firearms" - "If a soldier ever loses his firearm, or it is destroyed, it is replaced for free after the game.".

Offline Hexenmeister

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1643 on: September 28, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
Thank you  :)

About 2. still: Helping you not to get hit against ranged weapons does indeed help saving damage. In a different way than armour but still: I think it would be better balanced if equipment modified boni wouldn't count towards defending against ranged weapons. What do you think, Joe? :)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1644 on: September 30, 2018, 06:32:16 AM »
That would make more sense, but I found it just wasn't worth having to keep track of the difference, especially later in a campaign where magic weapons become more common. It certainly makes him harder to hit, but far from impossible. Half of the time, the captain is going to roll 10 or less, giving him a maximum of 16. So, any roll by the shooter that is likely to cause a good chunk of damage is going to be a hit.

Offline Ascent

• Student
« Reply #1645 on: October 05, 2018, 05:01:50 AM »
A question came up last night about Mind Control and spells generally after a wizards death.

A wizard cast Mind Control on a marksman but before he could be activated the casting wizard was taken out. The question then arose 'can he still be mind controlled if the mind controlling him is gone?

It didn't really matter as it was a one off teaching game but we start a campaign in a couple of weeks so some clarity would be useful.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1646 on: October 05, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Unless the spell specifies otherwise it's safe to assume spells stay in play.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1647 on: October 14, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Yup, unless it says it goes, it stays.

Offline Ascent

• Student
« Reply #1648 on: October 16, 2018, 03:49:45 AM »
Thanks. That was my thinking but not everyone agreed, especially the guy who's wizard was killed by his own marksman after the opponent's wizard was taken out.

At least we'll all know where we stand when the campaign starts on Thursday.

Offline Hexenmeister

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1649 on: October 16, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
Can Rules for Posion be unified? There are basically 3 types of poison in the game.

1. if damaged - minus 1 action (Assassin, Poison Dart Spell)
2. if damaged - counts as wounded (Rangifer Shaman, Ice Spider)
3. not specified at all (Posion Potion from Dark Alchemy, Posion of Snake Order Knight (Spellcaster #1))

Also in some entries it says that construcs and undead are not affected, in others it doesn't.

Could you unify this in the next errata and make just all poisoned figured treat as being wounded and undead/constructs generally immune for example?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:03:11 AM by Hexenmeister »