Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:41:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 393340 times)

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Frostgrave - Rules
« Reply #1650 on: October 21, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
What's wrong with having different types of poison?
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Hexenmeister

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1651 on: October 21, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
That you in some cases don't know what rule to apply if it's not specified (Posion Potion or Knight of the Snake for example) and that you always have to look which type it is, if it's a monster. Also both Poison types do more or less the same, you loose one action (cause that's what also happens when you're wounded) and in one case you also get a malus.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1652 on: October 22, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
Yes, if and when there is a second edition, their will be a unified rule. Like their is for Ghost Archipelago. It's just one of those things you learn about game writing along the way.

Offline Stubaru

• Student
« Reply #1653 on: November 08, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »
Since it's not noted anywhere, am I right in assuming that a PC character does not have any negative(s) to it's stats if it's attacked while "unable to be activated this round", or frozen/stunned/held in place?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1654 on: November 16, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
Since it's not noted anywhere, am I right in assuming that a PC character does not have any negative(s) to it's stats if it's attacked while "unable to be activated this round", or frozen/stunned/held in place?

Correct. No penalties unless specifically noted.

Offline thekelvingreen

• Schoolboy
The Living Museum - Endgame
« Reply #1655 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Last night, I played the Living Museum scenario. My opponent and I both got one treasure off the table, but then all of his remaining figures were killed either by my gang or by awakened statues.

(I'll be honest; the statues did most of the damage!)

In a standard game, if one player has no figures left on the board, the other player claims the remainder of the treasures, but in this case I controlled one treasure by the game's end, two more were out in the open, having been dropped by his figures when killed, and one was still sitting untouched next to the last statue.

So my question is, do the normal endgame rules apply to the Living Museum? Even with all those angry guardians stomping about? What about the one treasure next to the inactive statue?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:31:39 PM by thekelvingreen »

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1656 on: February 12, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
Yes - however, in the Maze of Malcor I suggested an alternate rule. In the case where their are unclaimed tokens on the table, but only one player, the remaining player rolls a die for each token. On a 15+ they secure the treasure. On anything else, the token is lost.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1657 on: February 22, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
Random rules question... This probably doesn't effect too many games as a whole.

We're playing Dark Alchemy co-op and the once we escaped from the board, the other wizard still had a Zombie and Imp left, which he used to farm about 5 other Burning Skeleton kills before they whittled them down.

Do summoned and raised models remain on the board and controllable after the wizard who summoned them has left or been removed?

It was fine for me, end of the day, that wizard had a few turns that he couldn't cast any spells because the spells he did have were in use (Summon Demon and Raise Zombie), so didn't have anything he could utilise at certain times, so lost out on XP there.

Sorry if this has already been asked. i did look, but couldn't find the answer.

Offline Severon

• Student
« Reply #1658 on: March 01, 2019, 05:35:39 AM »
After reading through the Wizards Conclave, the scenario  Old Scores raised a question.

In the setup, it says to place 10  markers.
And  later it says that each of the 4 results on the marker table can only be obtained once.
So you canonly search 4 markers, the other 6 markers are kind of  "useless".

Is it intended? If it is, then why 10 markers and not only 4?

What got me confused in addition is, that in the short report nicknorthstar posted,  his archers seem to carry more than 1 treasure token.

Maybe i've overlooked something but i've read it about 5 times now and can't see it.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1659 on: March 10, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »
Gmanrocks - yes these guys count as part of the warband, and thus the game would continue if it were only them... that said, if all of the treasure tokens were off the table the game ends immediately.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1660 on: March 10, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
Severin, You are not crazy! It's an error. I would just ignore the line about getting each result once!

Offline Ikari

• Lurker
« Reply #1661 on: March 16, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have a question about mystic brands spell. I haven't found a legitimate way in the book to find grimoire for this spell. The only way to get it is to buy grimoire, as per rules in main rulebook? Can starting wizard know this spell?

Thanks in advance

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #1662 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
The Grimoire was erroneously left out of the Treasure Table, really it should be in there. So, unless you want to modify the table, the only way to get the spell is to either buy the Grimoire or choose it as a starting spell.

Offline dedboy

• Lurker
« Reply #1663 on: April 13, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »
Hi there,
I apologise for replicating my post from the frostgrave subreddit.
This just seems to be the better place for rules-related queries.

I have some line-of-sight related questions about a few of the spells in the game. I would be interested in how other people handle the following situations:

Leap:

Main question: Does the caster and/or the target of the spell (or both!) need to have line of sight to the destination of the leap?

I think the caster should be able to see the destination. My friends think the target of the spell makes the leap and they can then leap to somewhere neither of them can see, because the line-of-sight refers only to the caster being able to see the target.

Follow-up question: Does the leap have to follow a realistic trajectory?

I.e. can you leap to somewhere that is on the 10 inches radius, but you would have to move round corners to get there. (Example: under the eaves of a house, even though you would have to clear those eaves in the leap and then move back again. Another example: into an open cubby hole under some stairs, even though the opening is facing away from you).

Grenade:

Do you allow the caster to cast this spell into an area, even if they don’t have line of sight to the ground where they are throwing the grenade?

For example, the spell caster sees a bunch of enemies on the other side of a low wall. He wants to throw the grenade over the wall and onto the ground in between them but cannot actually see that spot on the ground. I would allow this. I might not, however, allow the caster to throw the grenade over a high wall into an area he cannot see at all since it seems to be abusing the line of sight rule.

Imp:

Do you force the caster to be able to see the ground where the imp will be summoned? Or is it enough to be able to see the space in the air where the imp will appear (not necessarily the ground)?

This is similar to the Grenade question. It involves a caster summoning an imp in a field on the other side of a low wall. The caster cannot see the ground where the imp appears, but he can see other figures nearby and he can definitely see the imp once it is summoned (i.e. he can see the space in which the imp appears). Some players felt this is OP, especially when it is very far away, but I thought it was reasonable.

Thanks very much for your insights!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #1664 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
For Imp, I would say that you need to be able to see where you are summoning the Imp...ie the ground onto which it will stand.

For Grenade, I would say that I agree with you...he can throw it between some figures, even though he cannot see the ground, because he can see the figures.

For Leap...I'm pretty sure that the leap needs to go in a straight line...you can't go over something and then back underneath it, in order to get into better cover, or go round corners.