Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 391196 times)

Offline EvilGod

• Student
Re: Frostgrave - Rules
« Reply #1695 on: May 14, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
We had our first game after Lockdown last night and it was pretty sweet.  :-*

The following question came up:
My Apprentices successfully casts Mind Control on an enemy Soldier, then my Apprentice was killed. I could not find anywhere that the Mind Control will expire automatically because of the death of the caster. It only says that each caster can have only one mind control active.
Am I missing something? We decided that the mind control stays active until broken by the soldier.

In addition we tried to wrap our mind around an 11 inch Push originating on the ground floor, targeting a model on the first floor. should the Push follow the trajectory and push the victim into the sky?
we decided, that the victim stays on its level/floor until blocked by a terrain piece. Which meant, that the poor guy was flung from a bridge, across two chasms, crossing another bridge, until hitting a wall and dropping 5 inch to the ground floor.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:54:56 PM by EvilGod »

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #1696 on: May 14, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
Mind Control - I would argue that it is broken - the caster is dead, and it is the caster who is controlling the model

Direct line, so yes the trajectory should be up, up, and away....one of Jon's models was on the receiving end of that and yes he rolled a death.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline EvilGod

• Student
« Reply #1697 on: May 14, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »
Mind Control - yes your argument makes sense, but we decided against it because we would then have to decide for each other sustained spell whether it should expire with the casters death (blinding lights, Control X, Enchant, Fleet Feet etc)Push

Push - we decided to not use real trajectory because it would discourage three dimensional play and make Push a very useful spell both in offence and as a tool box spell

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1698 on: May 15, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
1. Mind Control lasts until broken (Errata/FAQ).

2. Push is in a direct line, so yes, if you Push upwards they fly into the sky (and visa versa, if you Push from above they [normally] won't be affected).

So you got one right and one wrong. ;)
If you haven't, I suggest downloading and reading the errata/FAQ on this forum (first post on this thread).

And most important rule, if you want to houserule to make it more fun for you (i.e. Push), go for it - Joe doesn't mind you tweaking the game. ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:02:17 PM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Online randwulf

• Assistant
« Reply #1699 on: July 08, 2020, 04:56:18 AM »
When you win combat you can push back the opponent 1". If there is another figure opposite is this still possible?

Cheers,
Kev
Justice for Sirius!

Offline pclark4422

• Lurker
« Reply #1700 on: August 18, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »
Probably moot with 2nd Ed coming out soon (hopefully), but another Time Walk question.

Chronomancer / 18 / Self Only
The spellcaster is allowed to activate, with the usual two actions, for a second time in the turn – during the soldier phase. If a spellcaster fails to cast this spell, he suffers 2 damage in addition to any other damage for failing to cast the spell. A spellcaster cannot cast Time Walk if he is currently using Time Store.

The phrase "for a second time in the turn" can be read in two ways.

1: for a second time in the turn (it is cast) - This appears to be the common interpretation which leads to the notion of it being little more than a move action. Casting it with extra action from Time Store makes it more useful but still very niche for the difficulty and risk.  Being able to do this (as clarified on page 49 of this thread) is the result of some very tricky wording that led me to the next possible interpretation.

2: for a second time in The Turn (note the caps) - Referring to the sequence of events outlined in chapter 2 - The Turn.  This interpretation could lead to the wizard activating a second time EVERY turn after since The Turn has now been altered.  This would of course make the spell a lot more useful (?game breaking?).  It seems to mesh well with not just the difficulty of the spell, but also how with some of a Chronomancer's other spells affect The Turn.

Considering the fiddly wording for the interaction between Time Store and Time Walk it seems like its worth asking.

Which is it supposed to be?

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1701 on: August 20, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
Can't answer your question but Time Walk is changed for 2nd.

Offline k90001234

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1702 on: September 02, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
Not sure if this has been asked before, hoping to get some clarification. Can Wizard Eye be used for group activating soldiers? Ie. If the soldier starts the turn within three inches of the spellcaster's wizard eye.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #1703 on: September 02, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »
Has anyone seen a price in 2e for weapons and armour or are they "free" like the lower troop types?  I am probably just missing it but I searched high and low.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline k90001234

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1704 on: September 02, 2020, 12:56:45 PM »
Not sure if this has been asked before, hoping to get some clarification. Can Wizard Eye be used for group activating soldiers? Ie. If the soldier starts the turn within three inches of the spellcaster's wizard eye.

NEVER MIND

Spell desc says "when casting spells" for drawing line of sight.

Offline k90001234

• Schoolboy
« Reply #1705 on: September 02, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
Has anyone seen a price in 2e for weapons and armour or are they "free" like the lower troop types?  I am probably just missing it but I searched high and low.

Yes i think you've got it.
Soldiers are restricted to the type of items they come with as standard. When creating Wizard and Apprentice it just says to pick equipment, so you can have whatever you like, minus armour and shields.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #1706 on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:06 PM »
Yes i think you've got it.
Soldiers are restricted to the type of items they come with as standard. When creating Wizard and Apprentice it just says to pick equipment, so you can have whatever you like, minus armour and shields.
Many thanks that was how I was reading it but since the last editions specified I figured that I would make sure.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1707 on: September 22, 2020, 08:25:29 AM »
 :) second edition....magic weapons/armor...
cloak of elemental absorption?
what does it do????
am i missing it??

Offline The Golem

• Bookworm
  • Muddy fellow
    • My hobby blog (in french)
« Reply #1708 on: September 22, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
:) second edition....magic weapons/armor...
cloak of elemental absorption?
what does it do????
am i missing it??

Check p97: if a miniature is wearing an item with Elemental Absorption, then any elemental damage they take (like an elementalist attack spell) is halved, rounding up.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1709 on: September 23, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
 :)   thanks!!!