Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What 28mm ranges do people want the most?

North Korean
15 (18.8%)
South Korean
4 (5%)
Western Insurgents
34 (42.5%)
Generic Military
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.  (Read 42657 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
What are your most desired ranges for 28mm moderns (Post 1990)? As some of you may remember, I am slowly working towards developing a couple modern ranges. The purpose of this thread is to find out which nations, organizations, etc. are the most wanted or needed. From the web trolling that I've been doing, these would be insurgents in western clothes and a generic 2nd or 3rd world military (Middle East/SE Asia/Africa). However, I also feel that there are many underrepresented factions that I have seen desire for, so my own ideas are not set in stone. The plan is to start with two ranges, but I would like to expand if they are a success.

Feel free to throw anything out there, no nation too small! This will play a large part in my decision of what I will work towards producing. Think of it as an opportunity to have your dreams for Sweden or Iran or any other unrepresented faction finally realized. Please, don't hold back. I want to know what the people want!

Gunnar
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:56:57 PM by arget8 »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »
South Koreans first, North Koreans second.

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
Civilians! The most under represented range of the lot.
Sure not exciting but makes your table look pretty n realistic plus targets of opportunity for the tangos.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
If you're going to enter into the 28mm modern market, being aware of what the competition's doing is key. See Empress Miniatures and Spectre have recently been coming out with the more niche (if the Chinese military could be considered niche, etc) factions. Both of them I think do insurgents. However in no way is that me saying don't, rather its good to have diversity in the market, especially if what you come out with compliments both of those company's ranges. :)

Showing my bias here, Russian special forces units would be cool (the guys with the ballistic faceplates particularly), or rather just anything of their's. Soldiers with AKs seem quite common, though finding ones with AS Val rifles and the less mainstream equipment are less common (though 20mm models have a decent coverage).

Israelis would be awesome, even more so because nobody seems to make them at all (you used to be able to get the 60s and 80s ones, but those are long since OOP). Tavor wielding soldiers would be quite useful for a few country's special forces and PMCs actually come to think of it.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »
Empress and Eureka are the top dogs in this game and I would be a fool to try competing with them in the realm of the major NATO nations, Russia, China, and the Taliban. However, I want to bring ranges that will complement them rather than compete. I have my own Empress figs and have no plans to replace them, haha.

Civilians are high on my list as well, both western and afghan. Israelis are another big one as I can't believe that they haven't been done in 28mm yet. The Koreans are also a great idea.

Keep it up, guys! I want to create ranges that no one else has.

Gunnar

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
South American drug wars. CIA, SEAL teams, cartels. That sort of thing?
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
Gangs I suppose are a bit timeless given that they tend to use whatever weapons they get a hold of, but talking about civilans those could be interesting. The same goes for armed police, but again a guy with an MP5 from the 80s is probably good enough for today.

However you're asking this specifically because people who look like they're from the 80s don't mesh in with modern equipment. Armed police nowadays may look the same to a regular guy, but some who cares enough to buy a model of one will note the different gun (and attachments) and that they're wearing a plate carrier.

So on that note, a lot of companies do generic gang and police models, but few do cutting edge ones. Picture your 80s gangster and compare them to a modern one. Fashion senses change, as have the weapons.

Both of those groups could have a lot of mileage to them (different gang styles, different police specializations. A well funded Mexican cartel will look a hell of a lot different from some crack dealers in Detroit - though that Cartel could cross over their equipment a lot with what the local police are using...), though I guess its whatever catches people's fancy (and your's). Maybe start up a poll with whatever ideas seem like they have the most traction at some point?

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »
JDF, I would love to model a potential Chinese Japanese conflict. Barring that, Korea, North and South, then maybe some South American militaries?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
Vietnamese People's Army; they're a logical opponent for Empress' PLA if you scale them to tie in with that range and they'd likely make great generic SEA forces.

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
Another vote for Israelis with Tavor (and wearing mitznefet helmet covers)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:27:50 PM by the commissar »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
South Koreans, North Koreans, Modern Israelis, western civilians, and western style insurgents.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:52:42 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »
 Civilians, western style insurgents, Smaller NATO countries and female british soldiers to represent none front line units for the brits.

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »
You cant have enough insurgents.

Ild like to See some 28mm minis geared to yugoslavia for mid 90s.
Facebook site to share my brushwork: https://www.facebook.com/rvtpainting/

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:34 AM »
If someone does come out with Israeli troops, I'd finally have an excuse and possible market for all the 1:56 IDF kits we've completed in CAD.

M50 tanks, M51's, converted M3 halftracks, Mutt's, Captured BTR conversions, M113 converions...  Then i could also do the T-55 for them to blow up!

-company b

Offline worrywort

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »
Israeliens would be cool

Irakien ultra moderne

Ultra modern french army !