Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690634
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What 28mm ranges do people want the most?

North Korean
15 (18.8%)
South Korean
4 (5%)
Western Insurgents
34 (42.5%)
Generic Military
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.  (Read 42839 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges. Now with poll!!!
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
I think in the second video they are Red guards or whatever they are called (need to look at Minkyeong stuff), not regular army. From my sources, camo uniform are much more widespread than pictures shown. Usually we see the people guarding the Panmunjom JSA that tend to have the KPA equivalent of class A uniform with basic webbing, and a lot of artillery and AAA chaps. Often coastal gunners rather then line gunners (oh by the way in video number 1 you can spot ZiS guns!).

If you look closely there are very little images or regular armor, mech, and light infantry units. You got some glimpses at the big parades, but again uniform are often tailored to the image that is presented, with a lot of link to the traditional propaganda iconography.

Also a lot of what we known about DPRK is based on what defectors told us and they are often unreliable (they tend to play our own perception, often aggrandizing their roles in the DPRK society, and also their perceived sufferance). But there are some tidbits that are interesting:

KPA soldiers at the JSA, note the new PLA early style kevlar.

Another thing is that, according to several ROK MoD  reports, the current BDU is extremely similar to the old woodland pattern, and designed to increase confusion, and this was one of the reason why the ROKA switched to the new camo. The few times I have seen the fat leader with some sort of regular line units they seems to have a camouflage unifrom very close to Flora (Russian) and old ERDL:

Also think a bit, if your are just doing show training how much stuff do you carry with you?
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2015, 05:44:54 PM »
Knowing most failing states propaganda as much "new" equipment as possible just to show the world they have got it, even if there only enough to equip a few squads for the tv screen in reality.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
Some recentish videos from north korea showing their "modern" uniforms and equipment. 

Way more propaganda then I was prepared for this early in the morning.  lol
But I agree with Arrigos post. Lots of the guys in the videos are pretty old, so guessing 2nd or 3rd line units.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Well guys, based on the results of the poll Generic Military and Western Insurgents are the winners!

I expected as such as they seem to be the biggest potential range with versatility between the 80's until near future. The insurgents will likely be the first range that I create with the Generics just behind, despite their success winning the poll as Mike Bravo Miniatures seems to have beaten me to the punch on relatively generic Africans. As of right now though, the plan is to kickstart both ranges with four packs each.

However, it is likely that I will start with the insurgents and have the generics as a stretch goal. Also, the generic military is not set in stone for how they will be created. I am considering doing what Eureka did with their SWAT figures and having separate torsos and legs as well. This could allow for even more diversity and allow them to be used for even better equipped nations. I am thinking that there could be several styles of torso in the long run, ChiCom rigs, Syrian style kevlar vests, and maybe a couple different NATO variants such as Poland and the Baltics.

What do you guys think?

Gunnar

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
Well,

I am out. Not interested either in western insurgents or generics. Also I do not like too much metal multiparts... best wishes for your endeavor and hopefully you will be able to propose real ranges soon. But you know... you really want to do ROKA and KPA first...   lol

Arrigo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:02 AM »
I would have to see the insergent concepts before I could say yeah or nay to the idea of them. If any thing unless they are a civilian doing a quick raid seem to adapt military kit very quickly.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
They will be wearing a mish mash of civilian clothes with military uniforms. Think t-shirts, hoodies, and oxford shirts with uniform pants and jeans. Most will not be wearing body armor, but a few might.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
Also, I have been doing some talking with some other people and doing the separate torsos may not really be an option for the quality of figure that I am looking to produce. I would like to have them more dynamically posed than metal separate torsos will allow. That being said, what is the general consensus for what equipment the soldiers should carry? I am starting to lean towards Syrian style kevlar vests, but I have not ruled out the Chicom rigs. Weapons are still going to be of the AK family and the separate heads are still planned.

Let me know what you guys think!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
Seperate heads can work. 

Empress do this very well on several of their mordern ranges (British Army, US Army; USMC, Australians and Russians)

Seperate arms and torsos can be a pain and would discourage many People from buying.

Mick

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
That's what I've seen and been told. I think that I will scrap the separate torsos and just stick with separate heads.

Any opinion on whether they should be with or without armor? Mike Bravo is producing their Ugandans, which have vests, but I want to know what you guys think.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
I'd guess without body armour might make them a bit more suitable for some of the nations that have been mentioned, no?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2015, 05:15:57 PM »
Without body armour, it expands their usefulness by twenty or thirty years.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
I think that without vests would also be best. Now what about the rigging? Should I stick with the Chicom rig or go with ALICE/Cold War US style load bearing equipment?

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
Damn, I was hoping you'd do Syrian vests to save me doing them!   lol

I know you're going for generics but I'd suggest picking a country/group that happens to wear something approaching what you produce so that you can build around it.  Makes it easier to find the reference material, gives you more of a narrative, and avoids your guys being a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none.  Sounds like there's a push on from Empress/UFM for late cold war so something that broadly fits in with that might work, or conversely maybe it's something to avoid (eg I'm pulling my BAOR plans and plotting something else).

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
Part of the reason I am questioning whether to use the rigs or go for another US style is that currently us style rigs (ALICE type) are very prolific in africa, but the Chicom rigs are more useful for Soviet supplied nations during the Cold War.

Does anyone know if there are plans for 1980's US in the works to complement UFM and Empress?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:59:08 PM by arget8 »