Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What 28mm ranges do people want the most?

North Korean
15 (18.8%)
South Korean
4 (5%)
Western Insurgents
34 (42.5%)
Generic Military
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.  (Read 42656 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges. Now with poll!!!
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »
Mike Bravo seem to have beat you to the punch on the 80s us also.
I will say that I have been able to fit AK mags in my old LBE ammo pouches, along with my Alice vest pouches too.
I guess to just figure out if you want your western insurgents to be armed with. Do you want every one have AKs? Or do you want them to have raided the local armory in a later day reenactment of bastille day with western European weapons. (AUGS, FAMAS, SA80s, M16 family of kit, FALs, G3s, G36, GPMGs, MG3s..etc) Maybe start with a group with Aks, and then work on making at least one group each armed with one of the above ranges.

That being said don't forget grandpas old hunting shotgun or rifle hidden in the attic. I am sure there are plenty of old vintage bolt-action rifles still floating about, the hard thing with them is getting ammo now. So mostly used by local groups or until the fighter can get some thing better.
So maybe a pack with old rifles and shotguns.

for support, a RPG, Carl gustav and a mortar team. done. ok maybe a Recoilless rifle would be cool

Group armed with only pistols. (not your main line fighters, for early insurgencies, infiltrates, saboteurs, support crew at rebel HQ, under cover law enforcement or criminal thugs)

Command group is easy, just have a guy with a Radio or Cell phone calling out orders. Have one runner, a medic in partial scabs and field jacket. And a guy taking photos or cell phone videos for propaganda. 

Could maybe even get away with a few groups of rock/break/Molotov cocktail throwing folks.
And finally suggestion few folks, men and women that have the same look of the insurgents with out weapons visible, just hoody, and hands in pockets going their way. maybe a back pack or satchel. Will work great for counter insurgency games where you are trying to figure out who is armed, who is not. What's that guys got in his pack? Work cloths? Laptop? pipe bomb and an uzi?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
All great suggestions, my good commissar. I am currently in the process of planning and searching for a sculptor as well as building funds for test sculpts, which is why I have been quiet here.

For everybody that wants insurgents in western clothes or generic military, It would be greatly appreciated if you followed Commissar Moody's example and give suggestions on weapons and equipment. I want to know if people are more interested in a well armed insurgency ala American militia or more like the initial Syrian rebels which were just a bunch of guys who had grabbed AK's.

For the generic military, I am leaning towards just making them Syrians, which could also double for Iranians as they share similar equipment. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:22:54 PM by arget8 »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Israelis are another big one as I can't believe that they haven't been done in 28mm yet.

Mongrel used to do IDF, Stan Johansen do IDF old and modern but I can't imagine they're popular.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
Mike Bravo is currently working on the IDF, so I decided that I would focus on my original plan of western insurgents and generic military.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Mongrel used to do IDF, Stan Johansen do IDF old and modern but I can't imagine they're popular.

Ah the elite Israeli Can-Can dance troupe. The Folies Bergère in Tel Aviv.

Stan Johansen has a particular talent. Not quite sure what it is but I'm happy to eliminate sculpting from the list.

I'd be interested to know just how popular the IDF is as a gaming subject post 1973. The Mongrel range were nice sculpts but with a couple of exceptions I've seen little evidence of them being used for gaming, Doc Mercury's blog is about the only thing that comes to mind.

I suppose we'll know when Mike Bravos range comes out.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2015, 03:15:04 AM »
Yeah not to be rude, but I am not impressed with those figs.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2015, 03:42:15 AM »
 lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
I'd be interested to know just how popular the IDF is as a gaming subject post 1973.

You and me both  lol  

To be honest it will be a hard sell for the current era stuff because of politics (which closes a lot of doors for getting publicity in a way that identical gaming involving other nations wouldn't) but we'll see.   It'll probably come down to how much eye candy we can put together and working with the vehicle manufacturers to give people viable options.  Probably a lot of effort that would be more lucrative if directed elsewhere but oh well.

Bizarrely it's not the most niche of subjects I have planned!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:59:44 PM by Mike Bravo Minis »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
Well if nothing else, if I ever get the money thing figured out I do plan on picking some modern IDF up.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
Bringing back the dead for a quick question on something.

I've been able to get some money together in order to commission a few sculpts as a proof of concept on my range and I have one last question before I send the official request of to the sculptor. The range is going to be the Syrian army as of a couple years ago when it was actually equipped properly, which means ballistic vests, PASGT style helmets, and Russian weapons. They should also be able to serve as several different nations as they are suitably generic

The question for you guys is: Should I go with AKM's to make them more versatile or should I go with AKMS' to make them more accurate? I've done some looking and it seems that the regular AKM is slightly more prevalent.

I would like to get back to the sculptor in a couple hours, so if you have an opinion, please speak up!

Gunnar
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:24:26 PM by arget8 »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
I would go  with AKMs.
On the table how many players would notice or really care.
My two cents.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
Yup that's the way I would go too

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
AKMs work for me

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »
AKMs are good.

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2016, 09:32:03 PM »
I'll be the contrarian and say AKMS if they would be more accurate.  My logic is that if you're doing Syrians, make them Syrians, and if people are willing to use Syrians as someone else then they'll overlook the weapon as well as the uniform details or whatver else isn't quite right. 

Otherwise you have Syrians that aren't really Syrians, and aren't really anything else. 
(And if you're anything like me, it'll nag away at you like our 'VDV' are nagging away at me with the wrong AK stock)

But yay, Syrians, should do well.  Good luck!