Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: JoeRugby’s Assorted Sci-fi thread - Xenomorphs, lots of Xenomorphs  (Read 14158 times)

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
Fantastic work!

It's helping me to pick up a brush again  :D

Consider me subscribed!
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Thanks Fluffy  :)

Pretty exciting hobby week with my partial AVP pledge showing up

The predator and Alien minis are stunning, and when you get them they do make the wait slightly more tolerable in hindsight

the marines are really good sculpts and casts but their too big ( about 34/35mm tall on average)to go with the rest of my collection so that takes the shine off them. I'll get a size comparison pic done soon.

Missing the arm from one of the preds and the head on the power loader is miscast, otherwise the rest of the minis ( that are approved) seem all there.

PIP
The current mid painting pile

Hasslefree Mawe's, colony 87 merchant, GW scout sniper, infinity pan o drop trooper, and a load of anvil industries republic comandoes in the background

The Mawe's skin is finished just need to get the rest painted and based now

No idea how I'm going to do the leaping Mawe's base

Current pile to be undercoated before the rugby today ( 2 of the infant aliens already made it into be painted)

Deadzone Marauder goblin sniper
Same theme as my 40k tester ork with black red and grey camo. I'm planning on using 40k Orks for my Deadzone Marauders.

Think I'll make the camo a bit chunkier in the future

Mars attacks scatter scenery

These have come out better than I'd expected,

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome, and should be more posted tomorrow

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: JoeRugby’s assorted Sci-fi thread – 28/02/16 - Xenomorph
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Colony 87 Noblewoman

The  penultimate mini finished from colony 87

Very Happy with my skin work on this one.

It took me ages to work out what colours I wanted for her clothing, but I think the blue n turquoise works.
Went with a skin coloured body suit for her clone pet...yuk

Anvil Industries Wardrones

Not my best pics on this one

I was aiming for them to look similar to the chappie robots..

Their ok, the do look better in real life, the edge high lighting hasn't come off that well.

I might come back to them as not 100% happy

Xenomorph

So I couldn't wait to paint my AVP Aliens (been waiting over 2 years after all).

Here's my test paintjob for the Xenomorph

Really simple letting the beautiful mini do the work, just drybrushed, washed and the done painted in gloss varnish.

I went for metal claws to match the teeth, but I'm not sure this is movie accurate (my Google fu showed both)

What do you reckon metal or black claws?

Thanks for looking

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Lovely, quite enjoyable!

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 06:15:52 AM »
Very nice!

The Alien figure looks just like the movie  :-*

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 05:46:03 PM »
Thanks both  :)

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
JoeRugby’s assorted Sci-fi thread – 5/03/16 – Colony 87 wave 1 finished

Not a lot finished this week, but everything in my active PIP pile now has some more paint on it than just primer.

PIP

Dire avengers got a blue base coat, republic commandos now have the black armour plates ready for a black wash.

No progress on the rest tho.

Xenomorph 2
Decided to go with gun metal claws instead of the silver in the last one.

I did try black gloss claws like the head but it didn't work for me.

Now to clean the rest of my pledge ( was too excited to clean the 2 I've done so far and some of the paint did flake on thie second one)

Suffer not the "Alien"......

Colony 87 merchant

Got the colony 87 merchant painted.

Which means

Colony 87 Wave 1 is Finished

Group shot!

If you like these minis btw please check out the Kickstarter for wave 2 here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62661939/return-to-colony-87-28mm-sci-fi-civilians
( you can pic these minis up in the Kickstarter too)

Thanks for looking

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Not got a lot finished this week it's mostly been sorting out my pipe of shame.

And yesterday's hobby time was spent cleaning cleaning resin

PIP

Dire avengers and republic commandos now base coloured and washed.
Teach and claws done on the mawes.

I'll get some bases done on the mawes this week to try and get them finished.

And some cheeky brokkrs made it into the panting pile too, my intention is to still paint them like Royal Mail postmen.

WIP

Enforcers, TGG Tina, and brokkr chief To get based then they can move into the spray me box below.

Crusher needs some green stuff work done on the join points

The large pile of aliens and the colonial marine need some pose adjusting with hot water.

spray me pile

All this stuff is ready to get primed

Thank's for looking, I'm putting the finishing touches to some bits so should be more up tomorrow.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: JoeRugby’s assorted Sci-fi thread – 14/03/16 – Deadzone Enforcers
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »
JoeRugby’s assorted Sci-fi thread – 14/03/16 – Deadzone Enforcers

Enforcers

Put together some of the plastic enforcers for a crack at v2 of Deadzone in a few days.
Soon to be joined by the enforcers from my WIP pile.

Once their pained I'll sell off the old restic enforcers. (Apart from the sniper cause the sniper is the 2nd most bad ass model in the Deadzone range.)

I gloss varnished the white armour parts to look like an Iphone case for a clean sci-fi look.

Thanks for looking, what do you think of the Apple armour?

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 02:56:05 AM »
Very nice!

I like the I-Enforcer  ;D

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »
Thanks fluffy

Who would have guessed Apple were one of the evil Mega Corps in Warpath :)

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Anvil Industries Republic Commandos

When used in my "Nateverse" (40k head cannon where I try to fit other sci fi settings in e.g mantics warpath universe is a subsector south of the segmentum tempestuous founded by rouge traders after the heresy)

AKA

Albion S.A.S
"Who dares Wins"
"The S.A.S regiment has a heritage going back to the first colonisation of the Albion system and even Terra itself.
For decades before the dark they were the elite of Albion's military, and that's all that is still recorded of them just the initials a motto and barley two sentences.

No one knows what happened to them, many think they were discarded by the techno knights of the noble families during the dark.
When Guilliman brought the great crusade to the Albion and united the Colonies they were just a footnote in a militarum history textbook.
It wasn't until 1000 years later that they would be reformed.

Major David Stirling during Waaagh Mary, recognised the need for an elite Commando unit to perform the tasks high command would wait 11 years for the Astartes to arrive for, after a lot of arguing eventually Stirling got his own way.
Named because he remembered the motto from his days in the Scolar, the S.A.S performed lightning raids and assassinations crippling the Ork invasion leading to Albion's forces eradicating the greenskins before the Astartes arrived.

The legend restored it has only grown since."

Size Comparison
Now to get them to fit a bit better with my collection I added a mm to the bottom of their bases

They now fit in well enough for me, definitely within my OCD tolerances.

Thanks for looking and reading my bit of badly written fluff.

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
Nice work!

The Anvil Industries figures are growing on me.  What is the casting like on their figures?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
ha I just finished some Anvil guys up as IG storm troopers for my 40K project yesterday. Lovely miniatures, crisp detail in a very good light grey resin, really nice hard sci-fi look to them. Big problem is size not only are the short but they are very true scale so the hands and heads look tiny compared to everything other 28mm sci-fi miniature I own (and judging by your comparison pictures a few sci-fi ranges I don't own to).

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Nice work!

The Anvil Industries figures are growing on me.  What is the casting like on their figures?

ha I just finished some Anvil guys up as IG storm troopers for my 40K project yesterday. Lovely miniatures, crisp detail in a very good light grey resin, really nice hard sci-fi look to them. Big problem is size not only are the short but they are very true scale so the hands and heads look tiny compared to everything other 28mm sci-fi miniature I own (and judging by your comparison pictures a few sci-fi ranges I don't own to).

They are lovely casts like Diablo Jon says, but the size of them is a bit of a problem. (I actually took that comparison pic to post in your thread Jon but didn't have time last night)

For me just adding the little extra height is enough to settle my OCD, but I can see it wouldn't be for others.