Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First shot at Dragon Rampant  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
First shot at Dragon Rampant
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

So we had a first go at Dragon Rampant, using my 10mm Kallistra/Copplestone/random manufacturers stuff. In short, loved it!

I like the idea of wargames, I really do. But I often struggle with complex, case-specific rules, army building (min-maxing), having enough figures painted and based to have a good game and how long the games can take. Dragon Rampant came as a nice surprise!

1) Short game, only took a couple of hours for 30-odd points
2) I had plenty of figures painted up as on multi stand bases one or two bases was sufficient for a whole unit
3) Putting the army together was really quick and easy, and yet doing a good job of it to get a balanced force was surprisingly interesting
4) I liked the idea of simply using proxy unit types for special units (we had a giant, a dragon, trolls, all sorts!)
5) And probably the best bit, we really ended up with a lovely narrative to the battle. Dwarves with a friendly dragon and giant took on my orcs, trolls and demon. The giant and demon faced off and the demon got pulverized. I chased off the dragon with my elite foot, but my leader failed a few key activations and one crucial fight and ended up routing. The fact that you could never be sure you'd activate what you wanted really added to the tension and fun (on two occasions I failed to activate my first unit, leading to lots of fists shaken to the dice gods in heaven)

Great game, and thoroughly recommended!

EvilD
Check out my blog - Long-dead Lead!

http://evil-doctor.tumblr.com/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: First shot at Dragon Rampant
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »

So we had a first go at Dragon Rampant, using my 10mm Kallistra/Copplestone/random manufacturers stuff. In short, loved it!

I like the idea of wargames, I really do. But I often struggle with complex, case-specific rules, army building (min-maxing), having enough figures painted and based to have a good game and how long the games can take. Dragon Rampant came as a nice surprise!

1) Short game, only took a couple of hours for 30-odd points
2) I had plenty of figures painted up as on multi stand bases one or two bases was sufficient for a whole unit
3) Putting the army together was really quick and easy, and yet doing a good job of it to get a balanced force was surprisingly interesting
4) I liked the idea of simply using proxy unit types for special units (we had a giant, a dragon, trolls, all sorts!)
5) And probably the best bit, we really ended up with a lovely narrative to the battle. Dwarves with a friendly dragon and giant took on my orcs, trolls and demon. The giant and demon faced off and the demon got pulverized. I chased off the dragon with my elite foot, but my leader failed a few key activations and one crucial fight and ended up routing. The fact that you could never be sure you'd activate what you wanted really added to the tension and fun (on two occasions I failed to activate my first unit, leading to lots of fists shaken to the dice gods in heaven)

Great game, and thoroughly recommended!

EvilD

Looks a great game! And yes, it's a terrific ruleset. Like you, I love the proxy element - not least because it ensures balance effortlessly.

Are those Prince August hobgoblins in the foreground? Some of their best figures, I think. And a Vendel troll on the brow of the hill?  Really nicely painted forces, in any case

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
Brilliant looking game, I may have to dig out my 10mm fantasy figures now.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Looks a great game! And yes, it's a terrific ruleset. Like you, I love the proxy element - not least because it ensures balance effortlessly.

Are those Prince August hobgoblins in the foreground? Some of their best figures, I think. And a Vendel troll on the brow of the hill?  Really nicely painted forces, in any case

Yep, I have the molds to cast up those goblins, so they are my Trolls. The Vendel Troll is the Giant (I sculpted him a tree to bash with). Also in the backgound is a Citadel young dragon, minus wings as a great Wyrm.

I love finding bits and bobs from my Citadel stuff to use as monsters - the demon who took the pasting was the old 'Night Horrors' Gargoyle.

In the image below green dice indicate health, we used red dice as battered markers.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:41:46 PM by Evil Doctor »

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:16:37 PM »
We mainly use 25/28mm for Fantasy and for Dragon Rampant, but this has me interested to try using my Warmaster Armies as well for D.R.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx