Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)  (Read 60039 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
Holy moly, the Dwemer ruins look awesome. It may be the photo but the lava in both tiles looks a bit washed out so I didn't know it was lava just a first glance. Maybe more vivid yellows and reds?

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
Some nice looking terrain ITT! Lol @ the pizza. Inspiration comes from everywhere...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
Tsk, when you post something, then a bloody commentor instantly notices that you ran out of red paint a year ago and have been covering it up by mixing orange and pink paints ever since...! :D

The lighting doesn't help. My light's too bright, then the corrective filters just wash everything out (as with the pictures of the cave system from earlier). I have a game on Saturday coming up in a different location, so we'll see if that's better for photography.

Oddly enough it was at that same gaming Saturday years back now that I started this thread. It was supposed to be a campaign day among a few players, though only one attended - and we continued through the whole of the Lich Lord campaign together. This Saturday I'm trying to pull a player back into the system after he had a first bad experience (he was the guy who brought 6 archers to a starter game though), and I'll try and judge the viability of some players for a future campaign. Campaigns mean a justification for more models. :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
Repear just released this little gem in plastic. Looking through their catalogue there's also an older version in metal. :)

Which would be just the thing for making one of Sotha Sil's Factotums. Well, with a bit of work to look less like a characterful. They'd do as Medium Constructs I think. Or I can go ahead and plan out those Dwemer Sphere Centurions. The original plan for the constructs was to use: Small - Spiders, Medium - Spheres, and Large - Ballista / multi legged centurions (the large Centurions would be too large).

Ooh, now look what I found. And on sale too! :D

http://dreamscarred.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/PsionKiller.jpg

There's another greater demon, or a Frost Atronach from Oblivion. Unfortunately its $25 shipping to the UK. :?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:08:08 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Today's work. Look who forgot to add the grass again...

A Knight of Order, Daedric servants of Prince Jyggalag; most powerful of the major Daedric Princes. Jyggalag was cursed to take on the form of the Prince Sheogorath, god of Madness, barring for a brief period where he would be set free to conquer Sheogorath's domain and turn it into a realm of perfect Order, before once again losing his mind and falling into madness.

Despite the ending of Oblivion's Shivering Isles DLC, Jyggalag hasn't been mentioned ever since. In fact Sheogorath continued to appear (using a bit of a loophole in the lore, in that the player character from Oblivion became him), which seems like a bit of a waste. Here's one of his servants, summoned by a mortal Daedra Worshipper to do their bidding (the concept art for this mortal followers of Order was great, a pity that they didn't look anything like that in the game!). About his feet are little crystals which you see in areas Order's conquered, with the ground turning grey beneath it as it draws the colour out of everything (seriously, what a wasted opportunity for a quest in Skyrim).

Moving on, here's the pair of mechanical spiders inspired by their appearance in the MMORPG.

Which yes, I've made a mould of the better sculpted of the two heads in case I want to make a horde of these things for a scenario in future. I believe there's a scenario in Into the Breeding Pits involving wa rbands facing off against a constant stream of rats which could be replicated with these things. :)

This guy's armour's based on some concept art for the Dwarves. Though his other clothing gives him a Colovian look ...at least back when the Colovians were Asian/ Roman inspired (which is why I painted his boots up like the Colovian fur ones from Morrowind).

And the first of a planned pair of archers, this one wearing some Clockwork City armour from the MMORPG (which is like the Dwarven armour, though more advanced. ...Somehow).

Plus the other random thugs who'll eventually be cycled out the war band as more expensive mercenaries make themselves available (ah, if I can ever get a campaign together)

I'm short on spell markers. Covering all the bases here's my attempt at the "Wall" spell. Of course with two magicians I'll need another two of these 3'' markers.

They're supposed to look like a bunch of rocks torn up out of the ground and mashed together to form a wall, with a couple floating about. Magical crystals then growing out the wall as its charged with energy.

I've arranged a game on Saturday, which the caves will be used in. They're still short a few pieces for the base set (ideally I'd like four entrances, rather than two, and more T sections), as is this group of Treasure Hunters / Imperial Dwemer Society short another archer, the magicians and constructs.

Looking at my collection certain models look like they'd work as the Wizard/ Apprentice for each of the schools (i.e. The Ashlander Shaman/ Vampire would do as Necromancers/ Witches), but I'd still like some Dwarven themed wizards to summon Constructs (though actually Dwemer mages would probably suit Chronomancers, with their whole reality based magic thing).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
A few weeks ago I'd managed to play a few games of Frostgrave using my cave tiles. The lighting was a bit better at the venue, though I didn't manage to actually take any pictures (predictably I took ones before the game, but forgot to during it. Typically spectators took pictures, though I don't know any of them personally, so I'll bet there's pictures floating about on some Facebook group somewhere).

Here's the set up, with that lava tile from recently.

And my war band, which yes is missing a few models so I subbed in the wizards (rather than sculpting some more Dwarven themed ones).

At the moment I'm back to painting my modern stuff, so I've no ETA on when I'll next touch my Elder Scrolls miniatures. I've no idea when I'll next be able to play a game due to work, so will have to see if a Frostgrave campaign's possible to drive me onto work on more of this.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2018, 02:57:50 AM »
I'd love to play in those caverns. Here's hoping you get the Elder Scrolls i spiration again soon!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
yes, your caverns system is fantastic.
as are your figs etc.

bit of a shame if after all that work you don't continue with it, so hope that's not the case.

* oh, and forgot to say, your wall spell marker is just amazing - does indeed look like it's materialising out of thin air ...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:45:21 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
I read somewhere that The Elder Scrolls VI seems to be in Hammerfall. Dwemers back?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »
@ Bloggard

Its not that I'm discontinuing my models, I just have other games systems which I play. ;p

@ Askellad

I'd guessed it was Hammerfell based on the brown rocks in the teaser thing. Skyrim was supposed to have a Hammerfell DLC, but they cancelled it during pre-production, so presumably they moved and expanded the assets (I mean stuff like concept art) over to this new game.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
That tile board looks great.

Nice models (though I know nothing about the source material).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
Here's a short return to the setting as I await some deliveries for my other projects. The Telvanni Master Wizard's been sitting giving me a look for a while now, so it seems like its time to paint him.

And unpainted of course. :)

For scale here he is next to the earlier Orc Warlord.

Though of course in reality he's the height of a regular Dark Elf beneath those robes, but levitating and wearing an impressive set of clothes to make himself seem more imposing to his underlings (even with the hunched back).

That hopefully makes my collection of Telvanni Wizards for Frostgrave complete, with an alternative model for both the Wizard and Apprentice for when they level up. In retrospect maybe I should have painted this guy in blue robes so he looked more like his younger self.

I guess his old robes had the wrong enchantments. :P

In other news I came across these miniatures made for the Achtung! Cthulhu game. They're called "Night Gaunts", and seem to fit the bill for Daedra. I'm considering either replacing their heads and doing them up as Scamps, or just greenstuffing on some bits to the heads and making them Vermai (from the spin off game Battlespire). Unfortunately they were a bit expensive at £14 for free, like most of the stuff for that game, so I probably won't be buying any more.

Vermai from the Tamriel Rebuilt mod for Morrowind:

I'm erring towards the Vermai as they have a more lizard like appearance and wouldn't require as much work to make them suitable. Whilst Scamps would require fur and an entirely new head. Though Scamps are more iconic, compared to the other forgotten type of Daedra from a game nobody played. Maybe The Elder Scrolls Online will feature them, as that has been including some weird types from the lore so far.

As I'm yet to really find anyone willing to play a campaign the setting remains on hold unfortunately as I work on other projects. Its still a dream to finish that Dwemer Warband and build the ruins, but till I have a reason (...not that I usually need one) other things continue to take priority. :/

Oh, and I should mention that I'm cross posting most of what I've been doing lately to a Wordpress blog just to have it all in one place. I'm sure folks aren't always checking out every one of the sub boards on this site, so I thought I'd have that as a way of gathering everything together (with links to the individual threads too). It also helps to have a place to post other things without starting a whole thread about them, like pictures of other games I've played, or oddly enough recently some Warhammer 40,000 models (yuck!). Anyhow, its there in case anyone's interested. :)

https://thesticks.net/