Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)  (Read 59688 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius

So... another thread.

Eugh...

Well there's a story behind this one. Originally I was looking for something as a side project to my Fallout stuff. The toss up was between Skyrim, Metro 2033 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The later won out as I didn't want the hassle of starting up a whole new fantasy terrain project and a tunnel system board would have been a headache too.

Frostgrave's come around though and, being rather silly, I thought that I'd get into another system. Without so much for caring about the practicalities of throwing together even more minis and terrain. I'll probably be playing against guys with their regular fantasy forces, unlike with my other two threads where I provide all the models during games. However that's not to say that I won't make the usual tat for this out of principle :)

Anyhow. To start off this thread I'm taking a trip to Vvardenfell and presenting a warband made up of Dunmer. I may stick to just that province or branch out, but for the moment that's my focus. =P

From left to right:

> A thug wearing regular Dunmer clothes with a Redoran Watchman helm and a chitin club.

> An infantryman wearing chitin armour and carrying a chitin spear.

> A Telvanni apprentice mage wearing the robes of his House and a Mole Crab Helm.

> A Man at Arms wearing House Dres Bonemold Armour and armed with a steel cutlass.

> And a thug wearing Netch Leather Armour and wielding an iron axe.

That's my merry band as they are right now. Still clearly WIPs, though I'll post up better shots of each as they're painted. They're all Fireforge Games Steppe Warriors that I happened to have had sitting about for ages with some greenstuff chucked on.

Still to do is to add more soldiers to the band (I'm sitting at 370 gp out of 500, so that's probably some more guys in Bonemold and Chitin or an archer) and to make the leading Wizard (who I'm considering having a bit more armour than the Apprentice and perhaps armed with a Glass or similarly snazzy looking weapon).

There's what I have to start with though, and hopefully I'll gradually expand on this till I have plenty of models to chop and change the roster. Morrowind's still my favorite game of the series, and there's plenty that I'd like to make models of out of it. For the moment though there's the petty bandits and sellswords. Maybe one day (if I can stick with this and not get distracted) all sorts of crap'll turn up here (hey I can think of a construct or two to stand in as Frostgrave's golems...).

Started on a House Guard riding a Durzog too. ...Before I discovered that there aren't rules for mounted units. Woops. Houserule it! Looks a bit like this, but its too early a WIP to show. :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:15:25 AM »
Interesting idea.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »
Looks good! I am not at all surprised that you chose the faction that would require the most possible GS work...  lol 8)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
Great work on those dunmer!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
Very nice. They look really like the game.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
Oooh, an "Elder Scrolls" related topic ! Good work with the GS, I'm looking forward to see those painted.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
Who wants to see a picture of a potato?

The start of the Durzog. I would have posted something further along, but it took ages to cut that damn hippopotamus' head off... Hopefully if I post later today it'll be more substantial, but well, people like WIPs right?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Who makes the hippo?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
Not a clue, I bought it second hand. It looks a bit 90s looking, but I couldn't turn anything up on Google Images there. =/

I'm considering what to make my wizard look like. I could either for a Redoran style one wearing armour over a robe, which was my original idea, but as my apprentice is Telvanni then I probably aught to have another one of those.

These bits of art turned up which look interesting.

Hmn, the first is a Telvanni master, which seems like a bit too high a position for such a small warband (something to move onto as a campaign progresses). The other one includes some of the armour which I was looking for. Maybe give them a glass staff?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:15:09 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
And the start on something else too.

This is going to be a Flesh Atronach (originally from Oblivion's Shivering Isles DLC) from The Elder Scrolls Online. It seemed like the easiest Atronach to make as I had a spare Reaper Flesh Golem handy that I wasn't using. It'll probably be a medium sized construct (or large, I haven't seen the models in person so I'm not exact on the sizes). Always had a soft spot for Flesh Atronachs, so if I run my wizard as a summoner this could count their Demon (unless I decide to make a Xivilai or something). 

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »
Ooh I like this project! The man-at-arms could pass for a Balmora city guard/House Hlaalu guard from Morrowind too.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
Well I say that he's wearing House Dres style Bonemold, but really its just the Skyrim set's cuirass, shield and helmet. The actual House Dres' suits don't appear in any of the games seeing as they only rose to prominence with the downfall of the Empire and House Hlaalu. There's a mod though for Skyrim which added a suit which looks a bit like that, so meh, that's who his former employers were. :)

Bonemold's not too difficult to sculpt so I'll certainly have a range of different sets made eventually. Though talking about House Dres, that particular Great House ride fleas rather than Durzogs. I may have the Durzog's rider be of House Indoril seeing as they inhabit Mournhold, or he can be just a generic guy. I'll see what happens.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
Well here's what I managed with the Telvanni mage (I went with the bug robe design in the end).

Not sure if the pose is too dynamic for that type of character, but meh. Sorry if the picture quality's shoddy, still haven't replaced that lamp. =P

Edit: fixed the picture.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:49:30 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »
Love it! Amazing work!

I've been replaying Morrowind lately using the "Morrowind Reborn" mod, which adds lots of stuff and bumps the old ageing graphics up a bit. Of all the Elder Scrolls games it has the most unique setting... but I love Oblivion and Skyrim, too.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
I refuse to go back and dump a second more playing Morrowind. ...At least not for another year. Heh, not that its a bad game which sucks up your life, nah. Its sitting there for a few days downloading all the mods...

Seriously I spent a day creating just a spreadsheet of mods to install when I went back to play Skyrim a few months ago. That was before I even downloaded any.  :'(

I present then the first painted model of this thread: the random guy in Bonemold armour.

(Might go back to the white background, the colour screws up with the focus as everything's brown)

Probably painted as you expected I imagine? I added a little bit of (nonsense) Daedric text to break up the colours a bit and what not.

The Telvanni mage with the bug on his chest is being painted right now too, though he's a bit further back as he was a bit more complex to paint than this guy (don't get your hopes up that it'll be a marvelous paintjob however). In other news I've started making a Flame Atronach for the mage too (he's a summoner), though its only about half sculpted, so I'll leave posting anything of that till its a bit further on. I have most of what I've finished sculpting now on my painting table, so expect to see some of that appearing soonish if I don't distract myself too badly. :)