Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Trojan Horses" (Luthien campaign): Otomo Vs. Smoke Jaguars  (Read 15332 times)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
"Trojan Horses" (Luthien campaign): Otomo Vs. Smoke Jaguars
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
I got quite a collection of plastic battle mech figures over the last 4 or 5 years. Some date back to 3rd edition of classic battletech, some came from citytech (2nd edition boxed set), a few are of the more recent 25th anniversary box and I even have some of the plastech release. Anyway, I never did anything with them although I have had them sitting on a shelf for such a long time.

The first few got a clean up and were based now. How soon I will be able to splotch some paint on I don't know, but as soon as I can, those will be resembling the command lance of the Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, Otomo Regiment of House Kurita.

The mechs will be fighting opposing forces of Clan Smoke Jaguar for  a scenario out of the old "Luthien" campaign pack.

I have gathered some experience painting small miniatures while painting for my Epic 40k Tau forces - let's see if I can turn those figures into something worthwhile as well.

Marauder (old 3rd edition BT), Orion (Citytech, 2nd edition), Battlemaster (old 3rd edition BT), Awesome (re-based 25th Anniversary box miniature)

My very first painted Classic Battletech miniature: an "Awesome" Mech for my Otomo Regiment of House Kurita. They use a flat black scheme with golden ornaments. I figured stylized flames could not be wrong on a Mech serving the Dragon himself.  O0 Enjoy!

(Yes, I know: some moldlines are still visible. Damn 25th anniversary boxed set plastics aren't exactly high quality...)

more pictures can be found on my blog:
Awesome Battlemech, Otomo Regiment colour scheme

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: "Trojan Horses" (Luthien campaign): Otomo Vs. Smoke Jaguars
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:38 PM »
Awesome.  Literally.   lol  So, are you going to be playing actual Battletech, Alpha Strike or something else?  While discussing my skirmish plans with a friend of mine, we started wandering into the "generalized mecha" game idea.

And if you're facing Smoke Jaguars - how many Clan mechs do you have available?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:39:30 AM »
It's going to be both I guess. We have played it before, but in N-scale. With the bigger models you can't field that many without having the table looking overcrowded. I basicly took those models off the shelves, because in the original CBT scale you can bring on 12 or more without any problem.

Regarding Clan Mechs: enough  ;)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »
Just another Mech finished over the weekend. This time the Command Lance's "Marauder". The figure is a two-part plastic "unseen" figure from the old 3rd Edition box.

Enjoy!

Flat black scheme with golden flames has grown to me. I love it! What do you think?

More pictures and shots from various angles can be found (as always) on my B L O G

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
Nice work, on a very...difficult mech.  Those old plastics are absolutely god awful, but you have made this one shine.  Well done!

Offline Dementation

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
Really swanky paintjobs, the flames is a great touch!

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
Thanks to everbody for your kind words!  :)

Since yesterday was a holiday in this region I had plenty of time to paint again. It was enough to get the Orion done. This leaves me with only one more figure to go to finish the Command Lance.

The Orion is one of the plastic miniatures that came with Citytech (2nd Edition).

Anyways, here are the pictures:

More pictures from various angles can be found on my B L O G

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
Very nice...the Orion is one of those mechs..ugly, but stat-wise it looks really damn good.  Much like the Grasshopper.  Stupid looking thing but very effective in the game!  Can't wait to see your lance put together.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
Thanks, Elbows. If you have your rules ready, would you mind giving me a copy?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
Not ready just yet, but I'll be posting them up when they are.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:43 AM »
Finished off the Battlemaster mech this weekend. The Command Lance for my Otomo Regiment is completed and I can now concentrate on assembling and painting the first Clan troops as their opposing force.

More pics can be found in my B L O G as usual.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 01:32:04 PM »
Jealous...I wish I had kept my old plastics from back in the day.  Rather have a real Battlemaster than a kitbash.  Love the cockpit paint.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Guys, I need your help on some Battletech lore.

In the "Trojan Horses" scenario of the Luthien campaign book, the Smoke Jaguar forces are called the 1st Jaguar Guard Cluster, belonging to the 31st Smoke Jaguar Assault Galaxy.

Sarna lists them as being part of the "Beta Galaxy" as their parental unit (in 3059). However, I found also an article that says they were part of "Alpha Galaxy".

Which one is correct? This will be important when it comes to paint their scheme correctly. Anyone know the correct answer??  :?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
Never followed the universe that closely, so I can't help ya.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
Never followed the universe that closely, so I can't help ya.

Its sorted.  :D

"Trojan Horses" (Luthien Scenario Pack): 1st Jaguar Guards Command Star
With the Otomo Command Lance finished, I am going to paint up the Command Star of the 1st Jaguar Guards next.
With help of the community in the Battletech forum I was also able to decide whether the 1st Jaguar Guards are going to be part of Alpha or Beta Galaxy. Most sources claim them to be with Beta which will lead them to be painted in the scheme of the "Mistweavers". Unfortunately there are some inconsitencies with the lore in the older FASA book(s).  :-[

The Star is a mix of 5 Omni Mechs of various weight class and consists out of two old Citytech plastics and three Ral Partha pewter figures.

Left to right:
Loki (Hellbringer), Daishi (Dire Wolf), Vulture (Mad Dog), Timberwolf (Mad Cat), Ryoken (Stormcrow)