Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rufus's expedition to the frozen city  (Read 17912 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
Re: Rufus's expedition to the frozen city
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
Thanks!

I've been looking through my collection for wandering monsters, and I have nearly all the options covered. I'm just missing a bear, gorilla and worm.

Toads, leopard, wolves, wild dogs, boar, giant rats (which seem to have died!), spiders (with unfortunate holes on the top to plug the goblin riders in), jabberwock (stand-in bear).

Skeletons, armoured skeletons, zombies, ghouls, wraith, vampire.
[

Trolls and a (smallish!) giant.

Small, medium and large constucts

Imp, minor demon, major demon.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
Impressive collection of minis.what I like most about frostgrave is being able to pull together so many diverse elements of your collection.thanks for sharing

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Thanks! Yes, it's nice to find a use for my random things. Skirmish games are great for this, since you don't need entire units.

I bought a bear the other day, and have found a suitable werewolf model. The jabberwock might play the gorilla role.

Campaign log

Professor Mira Lund has held the post of Chair of Intangible Wonders for many years, during which she has never - as far as anyone can remember - left the grounds of Icefall College. When word reached the college that the frozen city of Frostgrave had begun to thaw and was now passable, Professor Lund was the first to submit an expedition proposal. So surprised were the funding council that they approved the request immediately. Within a week, the professor had selected a student as her assistant, hired a group of guides and bodyguards, and set out for the lost city.

Professor Lund is skilled in a variety of useful magical techniques, but has no experience of battle magic. However, she is a noted fencer, favouring the sword-and-dagger technique.

Professor Mira Lund [Illusionist] - glow, transpose, illusionary soldier, reveal secret, shield, write scroll, raise zombie, animate construct.
Sword and dagger.
Ysolda [apprentice] - sword and dagger.
Froki [tracker]
Gunmar [crossbowman]
Erik [archer]
Torvar [archer]
Garthar [thief]
Vorstag [thug]
Stenvar [thug]

The Professor's first foray into the city was a quest for the mysterious Living Museum. She was to face a rival band of dwarfs, led by an enchanter. I began by casting my five (!) out of game spells. I failed to write a scroll or to reveal a secret, but did manage to build a small construct (a walking book), raise a zombie, and create an illusionary knight. The enemy enchanter built a medium construct.

I only took two pictures. This one shows the Living Museum, with its statues that come to life when the treasure is disturbed. The shop had set this table up, using only four statues instead of six.

The other two treasures were placed on their own on the other side of the board.

Some events from the game:

- An enemy thug ran for a treasure token on the left side of the board. My zombie and thief charged in before he could pick it up. In the resulting battle, the thug and thief killed each other in a single shot. The zombie was left standing by the treasure... had it possessed a brain, it would have been confused.

- My book construct took a treasure token, waking a statue that pounced on it. My wizard transposed the book construct with my tracker, allowing the book to escape with the treasure.

- My apprentice cast glow on the enemy enchanter... then my crossbowman shot him down!

- In fact, glow => shoot happened rather a lot. I also took out his apprentice this way.

- In the museum, my wizard carelessly got too close to the action and was charged by the last remaining enemy model - a man-at-arms on one wound. He took my wizard out of action! I shot him in revenge.

The game ended, since no enemies remained. My opponent had claimed one treasure, while I had five (two removed during the game, three left on the board). Five of my models had been taken out of action: the tracker, an archer, the thief, a thug, and my wizard. The wizard survived, but lost her items (just a sword and dagger, which I could replace for 10 gold). The thief survived unharmed. The thug was injured and would miss the next game. The tracker and archer were dead!

However, I had five treasure tokens. All five consisted of gold and a spellbook. The spells were: call storm (from my opposed school, so too hard to cast), spelleater (also not useful, since it's a neutral school while the superior 'dispel' is allied), wizard eye (useful, and from an allied school), beauty (illusionist spell!), write scroll (had already). Since I already had write scroll, that book could be sold for 250 gold. Together with the other gold I'd collected, this made a total of about 750.

My wizard gained three levels: I chose to increase her fight stat by one, decrease the casting number for write scroll by one, and learn a spell (beauty).

For my base, I chose the inn. I bought the kennel upgrade and some carrier pigeons.

So, I have four warband slots open, one of which is for a dog. I'm not sure if I should replace the tracker and archer, or buy better shooty soldiers instead - rangers or marksmen. For the last slot I either want a knight, templar or barbarian. I'm not sure which. I have more than enough gold.

Possibly a healing potion for the wizard would be nice too.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
These are the sample models I was given by Westfalia miniatures:

They're fantastic. I'm thinking about using some in my warband, but can't decide if they fit the theme or not.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »
They look great.I think they'd fit in really well, it'd be interesting to see a halfling in a more soldierly role instead of always being cast as the thief.Thanks for sharing

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
I'd like to make a full halfling warband. Perhaps when the Westfalia range is available.

Campaign log: game two.

I'd replaced my lost archer with a ranger and added a barbarian (taking advantage of the extra slot from my inn). So, my warband was:

Illusionist (now with a crossbow as well, since she lacked a damage spell)
apprentice
ranger
tracker
archer
crossbowman
barbarian
thug
thief
small construct
dog
(and one more thug who had to sit this game out due to injury)

Frostgraving in action!

The table I played on. More scenery this time... and a giant worm! (for the scenario 'the worm hunts')

Pregame spells went badly: no scrolls, no revealed secrets, no illusionary soldier, no new constructs. Just a zombie!

Some events:

- the enemy wizard threw a fireball that hit my book construct, zombie and barbarian, taking out the book and the zombie. The barbarian was shot soon after.
- I tried to cast glow several times, but kept failing. I switched to shield, which worked much better. Stupid dice!
- his apprentice ate a crossbow bolt.
- my ranger ambushed his wizard and took him down to one health point. Unfortunately, his archer fired a risky shot into the combat and killed the ranger! The wizard subsequently killed himself by failing to cast a fireball.
- I used transpose to swap his thug (carrying a treasure token) for his knight, which was in combat with two of my models.
- The worm appeared in the middle of the board! I shot it, causing some damage. It charged an enemy knight, who was already fighting my thief and thug.
- I used transpose again to swap my apprentice (carrying a treasure token) for my crossbowman. But, the enemy wizard used a transpose scroll to swap my crossbowman for his knight (the one fighting the worm!).
- I raised a new zombie, and sent it to join the worm fight. After a couple of rounds, the zombie finished off the massive creature. 100 bonus experience!
- the zombie then killed his (injured knight), and my wizard ducked out of hiding to crossbow the remaining enemy archer. Game over!

Bad results for me: my new barbarian and ranger both died. The thief was injured and will miss a game. Everyone else recovered (including my walking book construct! Hurrah). I hired a new ranger, and selected a knight instead of the barbarian.

I recovered three treasure tokens, which translated into two spellbooks, three scrolls, and some gold (Professor Lund continues to be very good at tracking down spell books - she's found seven so far). My wizard gained four levels: I chose to improve her fight stat again, and her health stat. I improved her ability to cast write scroll (I'm hoping it will actually work at some point), and learned bone dart. Icefall College disapproves of Necromancy, but they're a long way away.

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my base with a scriptorium or a crystal ball first. I need both really.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:27:58 AM by rufus sparkfire »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Campaign game three:

On a 4 by 4 table this time. All the treasure either in the large tower or in the temple on the left.

I failed all my out of game spells, except reveal secret (helped by a crystal ball at my base). Then both my wizard and apprentice failed most of their spells throughout the game. It was up to the soldiers to do the work.

Both sides clash in front of the tower, while Professor Lund hides behind a shed.

End result: 4 treasure tokens to me, 3 to opponent. My dog died, and my archer and crossbowman would have to miss a game. My opponent's apprentice died outright and had to be replaced at some expense.

My treasure tokens translated into two spellbooks, three scrolls, gold, and a ring of slowfalling. I gained two wizard levels, increasing fight to 5 and reducing bone dart's cost by one. I bought a scriptorium for my base (+1 to write scrolls). 

Campaign game 4:

Starting lineup:

To this I added a zombie and an illusionary knight from my pregame spells, for a total of fourteen models (ten is the normal limit - I have an inn with a kennel for an extra soldier and dog).

This time I was playing a three-player game on the 4 by 4 table. My opponents, both enchanters, chose their corners first (adjacent to each other). I chose a corner on the far side of the table, and deployed my huge warband (marksman in the tower above, revealed secret treasure counter nearby).

Professor Lund's goals:

1) avoid all danger
2) obtain treasure
3) kill enemies if necessary

Enchanter A went first, moving out into the open and casting telekinesis to move a treasure token towards himself. Enchanter B used a teleport potion to beam to the top of skull tower, where there were four treasures (the shop guy had set up the table and treasure tokens, so they weren't spaced according to the normal rules). My warband advanced, leaving the professor and her apprentice to hide behind their home tower. They stayed there, casting defensive spells.

Enchanter B's player opened hostilities by shooting at the exposed enchanter A... knocking him out of the game on turn one. While this is a bit harsh, standing in the open in front of several bows isn't very sensible. B continued to shoot at A's warband, since skull tower blocked line of sight to mine. B's wizard used telekinesis to levitate treasure tokens from the tower and drop them down to his troops below.

My tracker and treasure hunter ran to the two nearest treasures and claimed them. The others moved towards skull tower.

While B and A continued to clash, I sent two rangers and a knight into skull tower.

The leading ranger attacked enchanter B, but lost the fight (the ranger wasn't harmed however). The wizard chose to push the ranger away, and then leapt from the battlements onto the external stairway! This cost him some health.

While my rangers took the remaining two treasure tokens, my knight burst out of the tower and attacked the fleeing wizard. Enchanter B was cut down.

After some minor skirmishes, my treasure carriers made it to the board edge and escaped. I had secured five treasures (four normal ones, and a revealed secret), and only a thug and the dog had been knocked out. I gained enough experience for Professor Lund (who spent the whole game hiding) to advance to level 12.

Enchanter A rolled to see what happened to his injured wizard... and got a one. The wizard was dead! The player, rather upset, announced that he was quitting until the lichlord campaign. I felt bad about this, even though I had nothing to do with his wizard dying. But perhaps he'll change his mind and keep going.

B's wizard was also hurt, and I think rolled 'badly wounded' (the wizard misses a game or pays 100).

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »
My newly-complete treasure tokens:

The book at the front has a tentacle reaching out from the page, but it doesn't show up well on the photo.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
Really enjoying your thread. Keep the reports coming.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
Lovely tokens.thanks for sharing

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Thanks!

Campaign game 5

Professor Lund was to face a summoner. While he was only level 6 compared to her level 12, wizard level matters much less than warband composition. The summoner already had a full warband of treasure hunters, trackers and a marksman. He could also, thanks to demons in bottles, the summon demon spell, and the imp spell, field far more models than I could (two minor demons from potions, up to two summoned demons, up to two uncontrolled imps. He also had a zombie, and tried to cast illusionary soldier).

We played on a 4 by 4 table.

I successfully cast reveal secret, illusionary soldier and raise zombie, but again failed to write any scrolls (five games, zero scrolls). I chose to advance towards the treasure. My apprentice cast beauty on herself, rolling a 20 - this would make it extremely difficult for the enemy to target her.

Enemy marksman: a frog wielding a giant wasp.

I continued to advance. I hadn't realised how significant the enemy numbers were. The summoner threw imps to slow my advance.

Closer still. The treasure hunter on the left was carrying an explosive potion that he planned to throw into the enemy group. Unfortunately, he was hit by an unexpected elemental bolt and knocked out.

Woodland animals lurking in a grove. All of these are treasure hunters (well, one might be a minor demon).

The angry animals sweep in, destroying everything.

Two rangers battle the animals. I got in two shots on the wizard, but did only minor damage. After this, the rangers were overwhelmed.

The professor was ambushed by two treasure hunters. She won the first round (she has fight +6), but more enemies were incoming. Her apprentice therefore transposed her with the marksman (who was subsequently knocked out). She and the apprentice retreated, throwing bone darts (these kept failing to cause damage). She was again attacked by a treasure hunter, but won combat and forced him to retreat. After trying another bone dart (no effect), she and her apprentice left the battle.

End result: I only managed two treasure tokens, one of which was my bonus one from reveal secret. Most of my warband had been knocked out. The tracker and dog died, while a ranger and the treasure hunter would miss a game. The professor gained two levels. The treasure amounted to some money, a couple of scrolls (immediately sold) and some boots of speed (+1 movement).

What I should have done in this game is hold back and shoot at the enemy, rather than advancing and allowing them to surround me. However, my opponent rolled very high for all his attacks, which didn't help.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
Campaign game 6

Professor Lund's last expedition into Frostgrave resulted in her warband being driven off by a gang of animal people. Two soldiers would be missing this game due to injury: a ranger and a treasure hunter. Two existing members (thief and thug) were replaced by a ranger and an apothecary.

The professor's pregame spells resulted in a zombie, a revealed secret, no illusionary soldier... and a scroll! After six games, improving the spell three times, and buying a scriptorium, I finally had a single scroll to show for it. I chose a scroll of restore life, as insurance against my apprentice dying. I'm sure I can expect two scrolls per game from now on.  :icon_razz:

The game would take place on a 4' by 4' table. Treasure was hidden in each of the six buildings. Dotted around were four medium constructs and two large: these would animate randomly when a treasure was picked up. Destroying them was worth 25 EXP for medium ones, and 50 for large.

Sideways view of the board. Professor Lund on the left, rival enchanter on the right. The constructs can be seen in the middle.

The warband split into two groups. Here we see Professor Lund, a zombie, a book construct, a dog, a knight, an apothecary, and the revealed secret token. Oh, and also my unworn shoes under the table. Shoes and wargaming don't mix.

On the other side are the marksman, two rangers, a treasure hunter, and the apprentice (Ysolda).

Rival group a: knight, apprentice, dog, thief, thug.

Rival group b: enchanter, knight, medium construct, archer.

That seems to be only nine models on my opponent's side, so presumably he had some missing due to injury. With my zombie, I had eleven models.

My opponent won initiative on the first turn, and had both his wizard and apprentice cast fog spells among the treasure-houses. He did this to give his soldiers cover against my missile fire, though after casting he realised that I'd put all my missile units on one side. What he didn't know, however, was that Professor Lund had been practicing bone dart heavily in between games, so was now a serious ranged threat (not the case when I'd played this opponent before). So both fogs were useful. He advanced both his groups towards the houses, and I did the same. I had my wizard and apprentice cast defensive spells (beauty and shield), with the usual limited success (I had to empower them to get them to work). My apothecary collected the revealed secret token, then lurked around to see if anyone needed his healing potion.

We both arrived in the treasure zone (the glass counters are the fog spell). My book construct and knight (who wore the boots of speed I found last time) rushed into two of the buildings, ready to claim the treasure. On the other side, my treasure hunter did the same. The treasure hunter was the first to actually pick up a token, which woke a construct on the other side of the board. It attacked my dog, taking it out of action. My marksman shot at it, causing some damage.

Professor Lund, with her zombie shield, lurks behind a building while the enchanter moves in.

On the other side of the board, my treasure hunter makes off with a treasure. My two rangers were hit by an elemental ball spell from the apprentice. This injured one, but the other was unharmed. He went into the building to collect the treasure, while the injured one gave covering fire.

My marksman shot at the construct again, destroying it. With the way clear, the book and knight started to escape with their treasure.

I didn't take any more pictures. By now, all the constructs had woken up, and were moving towards the nearest targets. At this point, Professor Lund noticed she had clear line of sight to the rival apprentice, who was some three feet away on the other side of the board. Bone dart has no range limit, so she cast it... and hit... and took him out. Boom!

While the constructs mainly attacked the enchanter's warband (they were closer to them!), my soldiers withdrew. The injured ranger was knocked out by a construct. The other ranger, carrying treasure, was attacked by a construct, but won combat and pushed himself away. He was then able to flee through the fog, causing the construct to turn back towards the other warband.

Back on the other side, the enemy archer took out the professor's cover-zombie. The enchanter then cast elemental ball at her. He failed the dice roll, but empowered it with a magic item. At this point, I revealed that Professor Lund has fight +6.  :icon_razz: She dodged the spell. In response, she launched a bone dart at him... and took him out. Double boom!

The remaining enemy soldiers battled constructs while moving their two treasure tokens off the board. I moved my five off, taking a few bone dart/crossbow shots at the combatants. The professor bone-darted an archer.

So, at the end of the game I had five treasure tokens (four normal ones and the revealed secret). Two models had been knocked out: the dog and a ranger (and the zombie, but they only last one game anyway). The dog died, but the ranger recovered. My opponent had two treasures, but had lost several warband members including his wizard and apprentice. The apprentice recovered, but the wizard suffered a permanent injury: his arm was hurt, causing -1 fight. However, he had destroyed five of the six constructs, so gained a reasonable amount of EXP.

Professor Lund had personally defeated the enemy wizard, apprentice and an archer, which means a total of 270 bonus EXP! Adding the points for five treasures, one construct destroyed, and eleven spells cast, she gained a massive 655 EXP! This took her to level 21, which is an increase of seven levels!  :::cheers:::

I decided to increase her health and will by one each, improve bone dart, shield, write scroll and reveal secret, and learn one new spell (undecided which).

My treasure tokens were: 560 gold, a magic staff (+2 damage), a magic two-handed sword (+2 damage), 2 scrolls (not useful spells, but can be sold for 100 each), 3 potions (toughness, speed, explosive), and a spellbook for write scroll (the third one I've found! Since I know the spell, it can be sold for 250).

My warband list now:

Professor Mira Lund, Illusionist level 21 (sword, dagger, crossbow, healing potion, ring of slowfalling)
Apprentice Ysolda (sword, dagger, healing potion)
Marksman Gunmar
Ranger Kjeld
Ranger Torvar
Ranger Garthar
Treasure hunter Surrak (explosive potion)
Treasure hunter Vorstag (explosive potion)
Knight Torwald (boots of speed)
Apothecary Doktor Vitellius
Dog Sparky
Small construct Ex Libris.

I'm not sure what to do with the magic weapons or the other potions. Maybe the professor should use the two-handed sword! She'd only be fight 5 then, but would cause +4 damage in combat. Spell-wise, I can learn either telekinesis, fog or wizard eye.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Sounds like a fun game, but it seemed pretty sparse in terrain!  ;D

My vote is to use fog... I always have fun with that spell... waiting for someone to carefully set up a marksman and then shrouding him in fog!
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Well, the shop sets the terrain up, so I just play on whatever's there! I agree that it was a bit sparse, though since all the action was taking place among the buildings it didn't matter much.

Fog does seem useful. I'll have to make some templates.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Campaign game 7

Pre-game team photo:

My wizard had now reached level 21, which was significantly higher than anyone else in the campaign. A player with a level 5ish wizard agreed to play me even so, which was nice of him! I suggested using the wandering monsters optional rule (I've been bringing monsters with me for the last few games, but kept forgetting about them).

We used a 4 by 4 table scattered with stone pillars and withered trees. After rolling my pregame spells (I passed 'raise zombie' and one 'write scroll' only) I deployed in several groups.

Wizard, zombie, knight, apothecary, marksman, ranger, treasure hunter, construct.

Ranger, apprentice, treasure hunter, ranger, dog.

Professor Lund, as usual, used her zombie as a personal shield.

My opponent's wizard was a necromancer with a fondness for bears and skeletons.

Both sides advanced towards the treasure tokens. I cast defensive spells (shield and beauty) while my opponent tried to cast wizard eye - he had bad luck with his spells throughout the game. The warbands exchanged missile fire as they drew closer. The necromancer cast a bone dart at the professor, but her high fight value and zombie cover made her difficult to hit. She responded in kind, wounding him.

A bear bears down on my treasure hunter.

Picking up the treasures caused the arrival of three wandering monsters over consecutive turns. An imp arrived on the left side, followed by a ghoul. On the right side, a boar appeared next to my treasure hunter, who was already facing the necromancer's pet bear. The imp defeated my opponent's zombie, then attacked his apprentice. The apprentice eventually killed it. The boar was killed by the efforts of my treasure hunter and ranger.

My living dog fights his skeletal dog while everyone else circles warily. The dead dog was eaten!

The random ghoul gives a bear a friendly stroke. The bear subsequently ate him.

On the right side of the board, the necromancer made another attempt to bone-dart the professor, but was unsuccessful. My soldiers killed his bear, before trapping him in combat and knocking him out.

On the left, a frantic battle for the last treasure token took place. While Sparky the dog contested the token in the face of heavy bowfire, my rangers moved up to support him. Unfortunately, one of them was shot down on the way, and the other was heavily wounded. The other enemy bear began to chase my apprentice.

Professor Lund, after finishing her business on the right side of the board, began to move left. She used transpose to swap an enemy archer in combat with my ranger for the (wounded) enemy apprentice. The apprentice was soon defeated. Before long, the only enemy remaining on the board was the bear, still in pursuit of my apprentice.

I had my apprentice cast teleport (empowered by 7 health!) to escape the bear. It then pounced on my knight, winning several rounds of combat and almost eating him. However, I eventually moved a second model into the combat, and slew the beast.

At the end, I had four treasure tokens to my opponent's two. I'd found a ring of power, a magic bow with +2 damage, potions of strength and invulnerability, a grimoire of animate construct (which I already have, so I can sell it for 250 gold), and 250 gold. All my casualties recovered. Professor Lund gained 380 EXP (4 treasures, 10 spells cast, 2 soldiers defeated), which took her to level 25. I may have to start a new warband until someone else reaches a similar level.

Even though there was a substantial level difference, the game didn't feel like a walkover. Had my opponent's dice rolls gone better, things could have been very different.