Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KickStarter] Menhir Games: 28mm Dark Age Outpost PLASTIC set.  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
We have the KStarter preview!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickryan/637933305?token=98e0b482

The last 2 pledges, has a 35-38% discount, aimed for people with local shops, they will get lots of pieces at practically 1 dollar each! :)

Salutes, enjoy!

Hello people from LeadAdventure! I wanted to share with you that me, Menhir Games (www.menhirgames.com.ar) together Idyllwild Games (Facebook: "BattleAxe: Northern Wars") will be launching in September a Kickstarter campaign to fund a plastic kit that will serve to build a "Dark Age Outpost", consisting of: palisade wall sections, a tower and a gate.

Printed PROTOTYPES:

All will be made in injected brown hard plastic (HIPS), and will also be acompained by themed 28mm miniatures stretch goals that will be made in metal; first renders of the miniatures shows 2 Kings , an archer and a spearmen. Also, there will be a sword man, an axeman and mounted versions of the kings.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:12:03 PM by Menhir Games »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: [KickStarter] Menhir Games: 28mm Dark Age Outpost PLASTIC set.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
The figures look terrible, but...that outpost has some serious potential.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:21:03 AM »
I like the figures. The outpost is very interesting. Keep us posted please :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
The fort is a nice idea but the detail on the render looks very soft and lacks definition. Currently it looks more like the fortification pieces in a $1.99 bag of army men than a quality plastic kit.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »
Don't mince your words, Elbows. lol But yeah, I think the figures aren't quite there. They seem a bit disproportionate. The heads are quite small, which wouldn't be so bad for a 'true' scale mini, but the problem is they seem quite small against all the other chunky, 'heroic' scale details. Especially that bow.

The palisade walls aren't too bad, but some of those details seem a bit chunky too. Big chunky hinges with big chunky offset nails, a big chunky ladder moulded right into the side of the tower. I dunno. I'm definitely no architectural archaeologist, but to me it seems almost more Warhammer than Dark Ages.

... which why it was posted in the fantasy board, presumably?

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
I don't know how renders convert into 3D models/scenery but if those renders are anything like the finished product I'll pass. The wall sections don't look natural enough to me ( to many straight lines, with randomly drawn inserted detail ) and the miniatures remind me a bit of the Lionheart Game. Good enough - by far - for playing pieces, but they lack a bit detail, pose and finesse to compete with wargaming figures.
But having said that, I hope you will prove me wrong and release some great Dark Age models and scenery  ;).
Leadhead

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
From the look here (haven't visited the page) I just thought these were board-game esque plastic stuff.  I think some of the talented folks here could turn the palisades into something genuinely good.  I'd assume they're not overly expensive.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »
Yep, it the price is right, I'll be all over these!

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
Hello people, thanks for your comments.

In context, this is not a historicaly accurate set of buildings and miniatures, they are however clearly  inspired by "dark ages" vikings. As the minaitures and building set are going to later be part of a boardgame (mostly the miniatures), they are designed to be strong and durable (thats why they-the mianitures are chubby and ONE part), while the building set has exagerated parts for the simple reason that everyone that has ever made metal/resin/plastic things, knows that thinny bits may be easyly broken/bend.

The gate as you see it, has 10 diferent parts, it is a fully functional one: it has 1 frame, 2 door, 1 lock, 2 hooks (to hold the lock) and 4 hinges. Once you assemble it (with some glue) the final gate will have 4 pieces: the frame, 2 movable doors and the lock.

There you can imagine that making a true scale gate would mean very small andfragile hinges and "hooks". However i agree that the heads  can be a bit scaled up, thanks for that!

So, all in all, we have complex/multipart pieces (tower is 7 parts) that aim for 28mm "non necesary true scale" wargaming, and boardgaming.

Regarding details looking soft, it may be because of the type of rendering that i selected..

And as i shortly pointed out, the miniatures design has the 2 limitations : being for a boardgame (therefore, "chubby") and 1 part models, so i , as sculptor was very limited, i actually like/prefer true scale, here you can see models in 28mm multipart i have made (some pics are quite not the best, i am working on getting better)

http://menhirgames.blogspot.com.ar/2015/03/painted-models-2.html

And herethe 3D renders of the same models:

http://menhirgames.blogspot.com.ar/2014/06/3d-renders-updating-it.html

regarding price, while it is not a 2 dollar bag the  prices will be very near this:

$22 basic set: 12 walls (55 centimetres) 2 towers 1 gate
$42 medium set: 24 walls (110cm) 4 towers 2 gate
$60 big set : 36 walls (165cm) 6 towers 3 gates
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:30:49 PM by Menhir Games »

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
Maybe this pics help to give a better view: (note that they are just 3D prints, and the top of the tower walls are bent to the outside)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:38:22 PM by Menhir Games »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
Looks about right to me, esp price-wise.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
yes, with the $60 you can cover a 120-160cm table, not counting the gates and the little towers, that would sum up about 2 metres long defense! .. or a nice 60cm diamater circle camp :)

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »
The quality of the photos are pretty awful, and hard to see what the thing really looks like, but at that price, if it is a decent quality I'd definitely be interested in using it as the basis for some hill fort terrain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:08:42 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
The figures look terrible, but...that outpost has some serious potential.

I'm afraid that I agree about the miniature, for example, that bow would require a giant to draw. The weapons are all very oversized and the general posing od the mini's is very static.

Having said that the 'outpost' does seem to have some potential  8)

Darrell.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »
Well! 2 more models are sculpted to join the dark age outpost, the axeman with leather jacket and the swordman with chainmail.

You will notice that the archer and spearmen heads have been sized up a bit, as it was noticed they were quite small.

While the miniatures will be produced in metal for this campaign, you will notice that the models are designed in such "simple" way, because in the future the same models will be made in plastic, for an upcoming boardgame called "BattleAxe".

That is the reason the models are 1 part, and with simpler details, to be "mouldable" in the future.

Salutes!