Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thaw of the Lich Lord  (Read 29060 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thaw of the Lich Lord
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
The next supplement for Frostgrave will be Thaw of the Lich Lord, due out 20th November 2015. There will be new figures, including a plastic box set, coming out with it.

We are planning a mini-Nickstarter pre-order campaign.

So keeping that in mind, save your pre-orders for us, hold off Amazon, it'll be worth it.

Note the Nickstarter will be available from your FLGS as well as directly from North Star. Chat to them about it next time you are in.

Nick

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
Re: Thaw of the Lich Lord
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
How exciting!
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Excellent.  I cleverly managed to miss the last Nickstarter, so I will keep both eyes peeled for this one.

Although generally both my eyes point in the same direction, so I am not sure how much that will help.

Any clues on the plastic box?  Cuuuuuultists maybe?  Wizzards perhaps?

-Michael

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
We are planning a mini-Nickstarter pre-order campaign.

Sign me up for everything...

HMmmm, if the release date is 20th Nov give or take, I guess the Nickstarter will kick off around early/mid Oct or so...so potentially in around 7-8 weeks?

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Cool, Cool..!!

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
Any clues on the plastic box?  Cuuuuuultists maybe?  Wizzards perhaps?

If the box set is multipart, generic cultists with robes and hoods, I'll buy several!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »
Cool. Will be all over this like a rash.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
I was asked this question:
A few of us did the Nickstarter here, but then Amazon sells the book for $17. Why should I join this time & not just buy through Amazon!?

This was my answer:
Because the money that is made by North Star selling copies of Frostgrave is used to pay for Frostgrave figures. It's used to promote Frostgrave and develop the hobby of playing the game, modelling the figures and painting the figures. The money made by Amazon goes into shareholders pockets. If that doesn't matter to you, sure, save yourself a couple of bucks. But don't ask 'what happened to the hobby' when it dies because there is no money to pay the creative people who make the stuff we like.

Am I making too much of an issue about this? Don't get me wrong, I've used Amazon myself, but I just don't think it's the place to buy Hobby product. I mostly used Amazon for books and dvds, but that is because Amazon have already assassinated the high street bookshops and music shops, leaving one little choice but to buy online. I just don't want to see our hobby to go the same way.

Example. I'm attending Partizan, the show in Newark, at the beginning of September. I'll have a small stand selling Frostgrave, showing off the painted figures used in the photos and be there to chat to people. We'll have a participation game on another table where you can join in and learn the game. If all the sales for the rulebooks go through Amazon, hows this stuff going to carry on? Amazon won't fund it. An extreme scenario I admit, but look at Bookshops. We only have Waterstones left in Nottingham. If that goes, who'll host author signings etc in our town?

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
I was asked this question:
A few of us did the Nickstarter here, but then Amazon sells the book for $17. Why should I join this time & not just buy through Amazon!?

This was my answer:
Because the money that is made by North Star selling copies of Frostgrave is used to pay for Frostgrave figures. It's used to promote Frostgrave and develop the hobby of playing the game, modelling the figures and painting the figures. The money made by Amazon goes into shareholders pockets. If that doesn't matter to you, sure, save yourself a couple of bucks. But don't ask 'what happened to the hobby' when it dies because there is no money to pay the creative people who make the stuff we like.

Am I making too much of an issue about this? Don't get me wrong, I've used Amazon myself, but I just don't think it's the place to buy Hobby product. I mostly used Amazon for books and dvds, but that is because Amazon have already assassinated the high street bookshops and music shops, leaving one little choice but to buy online. I just don't want to see our hobby to go the same way.

Example. I'm attending Partizan, the show in Newark, at the beginning of September. I'll have a small stand selling Frostgrave, showing off the painted figures used in the photos and be there to chat to people. We'll have a participation game on another table where you can join in and learn the game. If all the sales for the rulebooks go through Amazon, hows this stuff going to carry on? Amazon won't fund it. An extreme scenario I admit, but look at Bookshops. We only have Waterstones left in Nottingham. If that goes, who'll host author signings etc in our town?
Good answer!
I went "all in" with the last Nickstarter .... did I want everything that was included? ... NO. I just wanted to support the endevour ... someone doing something genuinely exciting in the hobby.

Same with the Reaper BONES ... did I want every figure? .... No. I just wanted to support their aim of making some great minis available in plastic at a great price.

We all make the world the way it is. Either we support stuff like this or we don't get more stuff like this.

Anyone who gets a few more fantasy sculpts out of Copplestone gets my full support. :D

Look forward to any new releases for this game .... if Nickstarters is the way you want to go ...

BRING IT ON! :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:57:57 PM by Harry »

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
Yea, not to take this too far off the OP, but I also preordered via the Northstar NS and joked with my friends that it would have been 20-30% cheaper via online game stores later (and I live in the US, where these things tend to be very inexpensive relatively speaking).  But I was very happy to support the hobby and Northstar.  I want to see more cool NS FG products!

Hint: if the game does well, you should produce a deck of spell cards for your wizards.  I paid through the nose to have 'em custom printed via an online game printer studio!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
Another 'Nickstarter' is all well and good, if next time packets arrive without broken and missing items.

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
Yea, not to take this too far off the OP, but I also preordered via the Northstar NS and joked with my friends that it would have been 20-30% cheaper via online game stores later (and I live in the US, where these things tend to be very inexpensive relatively speaking).  But I was very happy to support the hobby and Northstar.  I want to see more cool NS FG products!

Hint: if the game does well, you should produce a deck of spell cards for your wizards.  I paid through the nose to have 'em custom printed via an online game printer studio!
Can't get a printer in the UK to quote me a semsible price for a pack due to the only wanting a couple of packs.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
Ordered mine from the states. Not cheap, but as they'll get a fair bit of use its not so bad.  :D

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »
Ho boy... My best friend and I are planning a purchase around next month, for two starter gangs for both of us... I HOPE we can both scrounge some more money and back this Nickstarter as it comes out too.

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
I missed the first NS and got my current book on Amazon. I plan to back the expansion direct from Northstar.