Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690339
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: other settings?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
other settings?
« on: August 09, 2015, 04:02:04 PM »
I saw the great thread on using frostgrave for Star Wars and thought...how about some other settings?

I think some people around here are working on a pulp setting...I am calling it the Occult wars of the early 20th C.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: other settings?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
I'm planning on using it to run very small 40k games using psykers , but really i think anything could work if you're willing to make it fit.
Off the top of my head tho, maybe HALO or assassins creed style games?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Gailbraithe

• Librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »
It's very easy to imagine changing the setting by just making some changes to the wandering monster table and writing some stats for new monsters.  Like Frostgrave could become Sandtombs by changing the monsters to Giant Scorpions, Giant Snakes, Mummies, Effreti, Djinn, etc.  Or you could go for an underdark theme and have slimes, oozes, and weird aberrations of nature.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
I'm using the rules for my Witchhunter games, works quite good  :)

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
In keeping with what is popular and has fired the imaginations of my current group, my Frostgrave is taking major cues from the city of Yharnam from Bloodborne.  I am uncertain how far I will take this, but random terrain pieces made of ominous statues are presently an obsession of mine.  And old Mordheim terrain guides have been useful in planning out my upcoming table.

I have also seen:
  • Wyrmalla's Elder Scrolls: Morrowind Frostgrave project.
  • Another friend's Aztec ruin-themed Frostgrave project.
  • An Underdark version as a push around using terrain pieces the player already had, plus "gangs" of duergar and drow.

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
Avalon, Where the scions of Merlin search for his (and Arthurs) lost relics.....

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:07 AM »
The game has real similarities to Pulp Alley but is nowhere near as balanced.  PA has already sorted out many of the issues Frostgrave has (Turn limit, multiple dice types to stop the swingy 20 sider, slower leveling, funner initiative).  If only PA had a big spell list.  I'm definitely going to adapt some rules.  That being said it looks like a great fun game and I look forwards to playing!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
I really like the D20 combat. It would be good to see that applied to other genres.

I think to port this to other genres (eg Pulp) instead of spells, you assign 'skills' to characters. It's RPG lite whilst keeping its roots in wargaming.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
As the rules are written there's little actually tying it to one particular setting. Rather its like asking if D&D aught to suit one setting or another when there's supplements for anything and everything. You could write up some custom rules, though just a change of models and terrain allow it to be used for all sorts.

Whether you want to start adding in custom rules for weather effects, terrain, new soldier types and weapons to better fit a setting is up to you though. Personally as the rules are written at the moment they're good enough for me, though once I've been playing them long enough I may feel the need to write up some custom ones due to how generic they are.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
I'll be playing in more of a Mordheim-esque setting, without most of the wintry flavor, due in large part to my huge collection of existing terrain and models. I just can't justify creating a snow board and a couple of snowy warbands when I have literally shelves full of nice urban fantasy terrain and cases full of painted warbands. So -- no snow in my Frostgrave, but plenty of death and doom!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
I have some Foundry Elizabethans that I have been wondering what to do with. Could be an idea to make an Eldorado type game with undead sacrificial victims etc.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
I could easily think of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, with kinda conservative Aes Sedai and truly aggresive Asha'man (Add Wavemistresses, Masters of Blades, Wise ones, Aiel... at will)

I believe I've already seen some Fellowship of the Ring? For WH40K any encounter between different schools of thought within the Inquisition is a deal (as well as within any other race)

A Song of Ice and Fire? Using Red Priests and/or White Walkers?

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
There's plenty of lost Hyborian cities, I'm sure. Good if you want to add a hint of tentacle to proceedings. :)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:15 PM »
I might give Frostgrave (or rather Steppetomb) a shot with my eastern renaissance minis. Witch and her cossacks versus catholic priest with some polish (or lithuanian) nobles or turkish immam with janissaries.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:28:57 AM »
Well, as soon as I saw you could have a wizard with a crossbow I immediately thought of this.

Which led to this.

And then of course, this.

Possibly not quite in the same vein as some of the other suggestions, but I'm sure Lord Vetinari would be most interested in a mysterious, snowbound city near the hub and would be happy to suggest that someone send an expedition. :D