Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This is Not a Test; Northern Atlantic Wasteland  (Read 25615 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: This is Not a Test; Northern Atlantic Wasteland
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 10:31:37 PM »
Yer a man after mine own heart and would be a good fit at our local club to boot.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 06:07:25 AM »
I'm pretty stoked!  Joe announced there is a printing deal in the works for the TNT rules and my order of Peacekeepers showed yesterday.  Post Apocalyptic goodness is on the way :) .

I unboxed the models and was really impressed by the quality and character of the figs.  I got the whole group cleaned up and ready for paint, primed the first three and really started getting into my road warden.

River Jon is named for a small town he came from in north west Nova.  He was deputized during the Taker War and took to law enforcement and killing outlaws.  So much so he earned the nickname Jonny Rivers for the rivers of blood he'd leak out of bandits.

It's been almost 20 years and none of Captain River Jon's constables would figure he was ever that way.  Cool as icewater but always concerned with the safety of his rookies he don't seem much a killer.  Trouble is on the rise in the Nova and Jon has been thinking about putting away his iron.  He's a family man with a homestead near Helltown and Ellie has been hinting she doesn't think he should be mixing it up with the raiders any more.

Jon wants the same as his wife and wants to settle down but there is big trouble brewing and a man can't turn away when he needs to be doing his part.

Character concept:  Imagine Sam Elliot in the Road Warrior and an old style white hat lawman juxtapositioned with Eastwood and Hackman's characters in Unforgiven.  He actually came out of a song by Stan Rogers called, "Night Guard" :) .

PS:  River isn't finished yet.  I was really happy how he was coming along, had his backstory and had been neglecting this thread so I thought I'd post this update.  Hopefully I'll complete him soon and introduce some more of River Jon's Regulators :) .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:10:06 AM by horridperson »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 07:05:40 AM »
Whooohoo! I love it. Stan Rogers is now part of the Canadian PA cannon!  o_o :-* 8)

I can't help but imagine his classics playing on the wasteland radio instead of the Inkspots.  ;)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
@Mr. Peabody

Yeah, love that song.  I think it was released on "Back Home in Halifax" but really stood out for me because it told such a cool story like all his work but touched on such novel subject matter.  He might have got the idea from reading the paper about such a case if I remember the interview correctly.  I don't know why this one was sitting in my head for the past couple weeks but when I got a look at the road marshall model it told me his story.

I haven't really thought much about the state of radio in the Nova.  I'd like to do something with the CBC building in Halifax ( I really enjoy listening to CBC Radio when I'm not polluting the car with my own musical stylings :) ).  One image that appealed to me was telegraph stations; They don't sound nice but look pretty cool in a PA landscape.  I think it's just a side effect of of spaghetti westernizing my DCMP leader but I liked the fragment;

Imagine a Pursuit barreling down the dust choked highway with the officer at the wheel thinking to himself as he notices a black plume of smoke rising over the horizon.  He laments the poor reliability of the telegraph warnings/ radio reception noting the signs of destruction are often the first evidence of a raider presence.  He flips the sirens up, engages the blower and the wailing mingles with the high pitched keening of the overcharged engine. 

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
Indeed. That's an image resonating through history; where there is burning, you got raiders.

You are giving me all kinds of ideas for our 'Other Dust' RPG campaign!  :D

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2015, 03:04:26 AM »
"Other Dust"?  I'm intrigued.  Are you sharing it on the forums?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »
It's an old school pen'n'paper RPG, so no minis... But excellent post-apoc sandbox fun!

Other Dust.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
Superb work dude! Table looks awesome but really digging your kitbashed and greenstuffed figures there ace!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
River Jon is complete.  I was thinking Sam Elliot but now I'm leaning more toward Kurt Russell in Tombstone.  Try the cinematic  quote on for size with the minis pose.

"So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'!"

If nothing else the words are epic.  More to come down the road.  I think I'll put some time on the Regulator's outrider but I have a 30k project (Yeah, I broke down and scored me some shiny GW plastics :) ) to add onto to my hobby buffet plate so I'll continue splitting time between the various threads and possibly add a Night Lord one in Future Wars.  The original Head Taker from early in this thread has probably been relegated to a historical mini and may end up being the First Taker.  I'm waiting on another model to replace him and once it arrives the TNT project is likely the only one I'll want to pay attention to for a bit.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »
Oh no! Not 30k!!!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »
Black Iris is the second TNT Peacekeeper model I finished for River Jon's Regulators.  I decided she would have a grudge against slavers/bandits because she was a tribal who's people were attacked and decimated by raiders.  She was still a child when the Peacekeepers brought down the bandits and ended up bringing her back to civilization with them.  These days she is a brooding loner with grudge and talent for killing with things with, "Pointman"; Her pet rifle.  Strange girl.  Talks to the damn thing but whatever she's been feeding it sure made it mean :) .

@kidterminal

30k? Sure.  Lots of different projects keeps thing interesting.  I'd have the post up now if I could make up my mind about those shoulder pads.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
I dig the uniform you made for Iris.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
Awesome!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
Very nice I like her a lot.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
I have been terrible at documenting any number of hobby projects.  I have many that have gone unreported across multiple genres but writing about doing stuff isn't as fun as doing stuff and remembering to take WIPs ruins the mood usless it feels like a painting milestone.  Writing about stories is nice though.  The other issue is that writing about new projects is more interesting than trying to revisit others so here is something I started cutting up today out of the mail.

I already threw this on the TNT Facebook group but I like it better here because I can be more verbose.  I like the blog even better because I get to organize the pics with the text but after documenting something here or on a a group it feels redundant :( .

Here we go.  Since I first saw them I thought Prodos' Mutant Chronicle Necromutants would make excellent super mutants in the style of Fallout.  I finally committed and ordered some.  The pics I have seen were murky at best but the models on sight were better than I had hoped for.  The detail is crisp and screams supermutant; Just in a squeakier voice than I might have hoped for :) .

I think the Mutant Chronicle range is 32mm but possibly more realistic than heroic although the more bestial models are exagerated appropriately.  The necromutants are brutal looking but are scaled as humans; While appropriately ugly they had to be stretched out.

I cut the model at the knees and hips and added spacers in those areas and at the waist.  I am going to have to fill in the gaps I made and bulk them out to match the model again.  I took a pic of the stretched necromutant with one of my raiders.  I was being genourous and used the smallest of the lot to make him look nastier :) .  I doubt the model will dwarf my other figs as he should but with a larger base and me wanting to be forgiving I think they will make a fine addition to my collection.