Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LOTR Rulebooks  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
LOTR Rulebooks
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:38:37 PM »
Well, I've found out that there's a games society at my Uni, but that apparently GW games predominate. The only one I would consider playing is LOTR, as I've collected a fair few figures already. The question is do I need to buy the rather expensive hb manual, or could I get away with picking up the 3 rulebooks through ebay? Has anyone been able to make a comparison?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Re: LOTR Rulebooks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »
I guess it depends on how strict on the rules they're going to be.

You can get most of the basics from any version of the rulebook, you won't need all three of the older ones, any one should do.

The only ways to get the most current rules are either that giant expensive book, or the Mines of Moria box set which also contains the Fellowship, Goblins, a Troll and some scenery.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
Wasnt there a compendium of the rules, cant think what it was now as my craze for LOTR had passed on as did my figure collection a few years back

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
Thanks folks. I've looked on the Palantir forum and apparently that big shiny book contains very few stats, so I'm going for one of the three rulebooks and just build up from there.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
If you or a mate has army builder, that is another good option for stats lines etc

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
The big 'one rulebook' has most of the stats - BUT, not those from later expansions. All in all it's a little confusing to find the profiles you need for an army comprising minis from later expansions if you do not have that paticular book.

It's very much like Warhamster and W40K - if you want to play a particular faction, you should get the sourcebook for that faction in addition to the rulebook...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »
Thanks folks. I've looked on the Palantir forum and apparently that big shiny book contains very few stats, so I'm going for one of the three rulebooks and just build up from there.

In that case, the best one is Return Of The King, as it has more "up to date" stats than the earlier two. If you are going to concentrate on one or two particular armies, this and the relevant "source book(s) should give you enough to use. If, like me, you can't resist buying some of everything, it could get very expensive  :(

If you need to know which source books contain info for which army/race, don't hesitate to ask, as I'm sure there are enough of us here who can get you the info.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
If you need to know which source books contain info for which army/race, don't hesitate to ask, as I'm sure there are enough of us here who can get you the info.

Sure - I've got pretty much everything  ;D

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
Cheers, will keep an eye out for ROTK and Mines of Moria. The post on Palantir says you need Two Towers for Rohan stats, does that still hold true? Fancy meself some Saxons on horses!   :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Cheers, will keep an eye out for ROTK and Mines of Moria. The post on Palantir says you need Two Towers for Rohan stats, does that still hold true? Fancy meself some Saxons on horses!   :)

I'm pretty certain [ say about 98%  lol ] that all the Rohan stats from TTT are in ROTK, so that should suffice. As Argonor says, he has almost everything and so do I, so one of us can confirm it at some time in the future. Everything is there for you to play out scenarios from the three films [or books] but stats for other characters like Eorl etc are in a sourcebook who's name escapes me at present. Saturday morning and all that  ::)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 06:19:39 PM »
The Mines of Moria book has the stats for the Rohan.  So the One Rulebook will too.

As far as I know, the Mines of Moria rulebook has the stats for everything from the movies, the One Rulebook has everything produced up to it's date of publishing with the newer sourcebooks covering things GW have made up in the years since it's release.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Just to clarify, are there two mines of moria box sets/rulebooks out, or has the original MOM stayed in production?  ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »
Only one

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I managed to pick up the MoM rulebook together with the Fellowship book on Ebay at a bargain price, so I'll be able to sit down and work out what armies I want to field once they arrive.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
Bloody good rules they are to!