Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: horrid visit to westeros: dornish test  (Read 4757 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
horrid visit to westeros: dornish test
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:29:06 AM »
There are so many amazing Westeros threads on this board I had to give it a try.  I'd commented on one of them trying to decide what would be a suitable rules set and thought LOTR wouldn't be a bad fit.  I'm not really to concerned about rules but thought I'd look at the LOTR models I have knocking around and see if I could do a test fig.

The Haradrim appear to be a pretty solid fit for Dornish men.  The light armour and flowing robes, spears and recurved bows were appropriate to both the written and screen interpretations.  I had to take some liberty with the armour and went with leathers rather than the brigandine described in text.  I could have painted it as a red metal but a full on breast plate doesn't seem light enough to suggest the nature of a Dornish infantry man.

I'm not sure I like what I did with the ugly pattern.  It is an extremely dummied down version of what I saw in the series costuming and hopefully suggests it rather than actually looking anything like it.  I really don't like how cleaning up the shapes ruined the clean layering I had on the robes first pass.  I'd considering leaving it be for rank and file and doing a detailed embellished version on character models.  Another possibility might be alternating black and white circles; What would you suggest?

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: horrid visit to westeros: dornish test
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:04 AM »
Looking good so far!
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »
Brilliant work, love the diamond motif. Patterns and shading are so hard to mix. It works on this guy.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
I think he looks great! :)

With the pattern, I see what you mean about tidying it up... I think that if you start with a yellow closer to the highlight colour, paint the pattern on (and clean it up), and then shade down with some thin glazes, you'll get a much more convincing look.

This is because the shading will also shade the pattern at the same time, and although glazes are a bit slow to dry, if you're doing three or four models at a time it's actually pretty fast overall.

Good plastics those old LOTR figs; I'm interested to see what else you do with them.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
It looks really great and convincing!  :)
I think you should continue with the patern, but do some with the black and white circles too; just to break the uniformity. 

''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Elgis

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
The pattern and mini both look excellent.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:06:15 AM »
I'll echo others' comments about the pattern, I recognized it from the series immediately.  :D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:38:20 AM »
nice painting and as the others said keep the pattern
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »
It definitively works.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:15 AM »
Well it definitely looks like the Dornish as portrayed by HBO - the Haradrim are perfect, and I like the painting.

Have to say, it's not how I see the Dornish at all from the books. At no point does GRRM suggest Dorne is an out-and-out Arabic-style culture - much more Mediterranean.
The problem of course, is that because Benioff & Weiss decided to portray King's Landing as broadly Mediterranean / Adriatic in look, climate and culture (when the books are clearly describing a North/Central European medieval-style city), they were left with nowhere to go with Dorne - except somewhere even hotter and more exotic.

But...

This is one of my favourite hobby-horses (how the producers got it wrong in so many ways with their globally successful, multi-award winning, gabillion-grossing, unstoppable juggernaut of a TV phenomenon lol) and I shall now get off my soap-box, and return your thread to its rightful purpose :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
Well it definitely looks like the Dornish as portrayed by HBO - the Haradrim are perfect, and I like the painting.

Have to say, it's not how I see the Dornish at all from the books. At no point does GRRM suggest Dorne is an out-and-out Arabic-style culture - much more Mediterranean.
The problem of course, is that because Benioff & Weiss decided to portray King's Landing as broadly Mediterranean / Adriatic in look, climate and culture (when the books are clearly describing a North/Central European medieval-style city), they were left with nowhere to go with Dorne - except somewhere even hotter and more exotic.

Agreed.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »
Yes I agree as well, the Dornish on my painting table ain't Arabic looking at all, as that's not how I pictured them.

But each to their own of course!  :)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
These look great.I may have to dust off my haradrim when I finally get around to starting my GoT project.thanks for sharing