Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Fantastic SAGA  (Read 40034 times)

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
A Fantastic SAGA
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Hello there!
My first comment here in this forum and one with content.  ;)

I would like to introduce you guys to a project some friends and I have been working on since early 2014.

It is called A Fantastic Saga and a Fantasy adaptation for the Saga ruleset. (Im sure everyone will know it)

Saga is one of my favorite games and one of the best I ever played. The mechanisms are simple yet awesome.

I introduced a lot of people to Saga over the last few years but because of the historical context it did not quite get them going...
So I decided to do something about that and started working on this project... I wanted to capture the spirit of the "good old days" and create rules that make it possible for people to use pretty much any fantasy miniature for their games...

And obviously I wanted an alternative to Warhammer... I wanted rules for my Chaos army, my dwarves and all the others that just kept getting dustier over the years.

There are four factions and the main ruleset in this first PDF-file. (Elves, Dwarves, Barbarians/Chaos, Undead)
More factions are soon to come and even some "supplement" with really fun stuff. (Monstrous mounts, general "Bestiary", maybe even campaign rules!)

Next factions will be Orcs, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Goblins...

The website is still being built but it already works... so, yeah, thats what counts.
(it will be on this website that you will find all future material as well)
I really hope people will enjoy this and spread the word!

http://www.a-fantastic-saga.com/

Have fun!  :)

greetings!
Barb

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:10:07 PM by Barbarus »
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Re: A FANTASTIC SAGA
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:49:00 AM »
Looks interesting, will definitely give this a try.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
Well done for doing this, looks very good. I have all of these armies as it happens, so will give it a go.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:46:13 AM »
Hello there!
My first comment here in this forum and one with content.  ;)

I would like to introduce you guys to a project some friends and I have been working on since early 2014.

It is called A Fantastic Saga and a Fantasy adaptation for the Saga ruleset. (Im sure everyone will know it)

Saga is one of my favorite games and one of the best I ever played. The mechanisms are simple yet awesome.

I introduced a lot of people to Saga over the last few years but because of the historical context it did not quite get them going...
So I decided to do something about that and started working on this project... I wanted to capture the spirit of the "good old days" and create rules that make it possible for people to use pretty much any fantasy miniature for their games...

And obviously I wanted an alternative to Warhammer... I wanted rules for my Chaos army, my dwarves and all the others that just kept getting dustier over the years.

There are four factions and the main ruleset in this first PDF-file. (Elves, Dwarves, Barbarians/Chaos, Undead)
More factions are soon to come and even some "supplement" with really fun stuff. (Monstrous mounts, general "Bestiary", maybe even campaign rules!)

Next factions will be Orcs, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Goblins...

The website is still being built but it already works... so, yeah, thats what counts.
(it will be on this website that you will find all future material as well)
I really hope people will enjoy this and spread the word!

http://www.a-fantastic-saga.com/

Have fun!  :)

greetings!
Barb

I haven't been able to download in Safari (but I will do so later on the PC) but Saga has always intrigued me, though I am not much interested in Dark Ages/Ancients. This is probably enough to get me to buy the rules. Thanks so much for doing this!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
d/loading now.

this looks fantastic, Barbarus, and just what I've been googling for of late...

thanks so much for sharing the project.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

Thank you, guys!

Really, really happy to see people enjoying this.

And yes, it seems to hit a certain spot. I heard the same thing over and over again from people:

"I like the Saga rules. But I dont like the whole Viking setting. Why is there no fantasy version? I would play that!" :D

So, yeah, since Saga is quite popular I think we might be able to recrute enough players over the next two years or so that you got a real alternative to Warhammer.
Not a replacement, of course. But at least an alternative.

Something fun to move your fantasy minis with. A nice, sleek ruleset. Something you can play in an hour, rather than half a day :D

Have fun testing the rules, guys!

PS: For those who havent been playing Saga before: Have some matches with the normal Saga rules first.
After that add those elements from our PDF. That should be the easiest way of learning it.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:42:33 PM »
Very nice, and coincidentally something I have been working on myself for an upcoming game/scenario at an Oldhammer gathering.
In my case it's dwarves vs skaven, dwarves board is done and still a little work to be done on the skaven board.
The gyrocopter is the only 'contraption' in my boards/rules, I approached it slightly differently (based on the original gyro in white dwarf 100) with 2 dice 'javelin' attack for the bombs but adding a fatigue to simulate the terror, and a heathguard style 4 dice attack as a regular shooting activation for the gyro's steam cannon which ignores cover modifiers, but costs the gyrocopter 1 point of fatigue to simulate the gyro's steam boiler running down.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
Sounds very complex! I like it and for one single unit in the game these rules are proper, I guess.
I just had to take a simpler approach on the Gyro because there are quite a few special units with special rules running around in my game :D

So far the feedback to A Fantastic Saga has been superb! :D People like it a lot and Im very happy about it. And I am excited to present the Orcs and the Dark Elves very soon... they have really cool rules.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:38:59 PM by Barbarus »

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »
this looks interesting, but I don't understand your introduction, you seem to be saying that its wrong for companies to make any money from all the hard work they put in putting product out to the market

if that is the case then how do you expect anything to get developed? the money Gripping Beast and Studio Tomahawk raised from sales of the rules has gone into making new products for the game

I could go on but your comments in your introduction just make me angry, so its best I stop here

Mike Hobbs
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:10:03 PM by MikeH »

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
Sounds very complex!

Nahh it's pretty easy, bomb attacks don't generate fatigue, but the more powerful steam cannon attack of the old school gyro runs down the machines steam powered engine. Giving the player the option of using the gyro for harrying attacks or committing to a more devastating assault that can't be sustained without resting the device and allowing the steam engine to build up some pressure again.

this looks interesting, but I don't understand your introduction, you seem to be saying that its wrong for companies to make any money from all the hard work they put in putting product out to the market

I think it's probably more a dig at GW's AoS than anything aimed at ST/GB, considering he heaps praise on Saga so often in his intro.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:57 AM »
Hey there!

Nah, Mike, dont worry! Everything is fine! :D
I did not mean to say that companies arent supposed to make any money with their games, I was just saying that there are companies throwing stuff on the market that is not good nor fun, and just want to make a quick buck.

Like a certain company. You know the one I mean.

And on the other side you have companies like Gripping Beast, Studio Tomahawk, the Perry twins, Warlord Games and more, who are gamers, who want to offer a good game, good miniatures and good fun.
And they should make money with that. That is something I want to see rewarded.
Because there you have people who are gamers and have the utmost respect for other gamers.

I dont see that respect in the behavior of a certain other company. You know the one I mean.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:08 AM »
I downloaded the rules and am going to have a go at them as soon as I have had time to read them.

My regular gaming buddy and I have armies for God of Battles (undead and dwarves), and also have the occational SAGA game with fantasy (LotR) proxy armies, so we should be able to adjust to SAGA format quite easily.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »

Sounds good, my Danish friend! :D

Hope you guys have fun! Let me know how it went!

Greetz

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
Hey there!

Nah, Mike, dont worry! Everything is fine! :D
I did not mean to say that companies arent supposed to make any money with their games, I was just saying that there are companies throwing stuff on the market that is not good nor fun, and just want to make a quick buck.

Like a certain company. You know the one I mean.

And on the other side you have companies like Gripping Beast, Studio Tomahawk, the Perry twins, Warlord Games and more, who are gamers, who want to offer a good game, good miniatures and good fun.
And they should make money with that. That is something I want to see rewarded.
Because there you have people who are gamers and have the utmost respect for other gamers.

I dont see that respect in the behavior of a certain other company. You know the one I mean.

ok I'm happy to say I overreacted when I read your introduction and thought you were making an attack on people I know, when you were just attacking GW for not producing products you like.

you are of course entitled to your opinion but is the introduction the place to do it?

why be so negative about companies who have worked to produce products for 30+ years, you may not like the direction they are taking but don't say it in the first sentence of an introduction to a set of rules. the introduction should be a place to welcome people to your game not a place to put your political manifesto

I hope you do well with the reskinning of the 2 games, but seriously think about how you welcome people to the game

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
Re: A Fantastic SAGA
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
I didnt think the introduction could be easily misunderstood. Its not just about the one company. Its about a mindset and a "trend" that annoys me in general.
But I think my introduction is quite positive since Im talking about the fact that we people have the means to change a lot of things...

Maybe it is a bit too much philosophy/politics for an introduction. On the other hand, I dont like the thought of not saying these things because they could be "uncomfortable". Know what I mean?

Its a bit tricky.
In the next version of AFS we will have a different introduction. I know that much. ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:21:05 PM by Barbarus »