Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Fantastic SAGA  (Read 40029 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: A Fantastic SAGA
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
Quick question - is fantasy saga compatible with historical saga?
That is, could I use one of the factions/battleboards from historical saga against one of the fantasy saga factions/battleboards?
Have they been balanced to play against each other?
I'm thinking that I may want to use, for example, my Normans against some Elves. Just wondered if that would work and if anyone had tried something like that.

Try it, and share the experience!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »

Hey, guys!

@Gabbi:  ;)

@the others:

The AFS factions were never intended to be played against the regular Saga factions, because from the start I knew I had to give the AFS races abilities that are much more over-the-top and dramatic and destructive than the abilities the standard factions in Saga have.

So, the balancing was always within AFS itself, the factions were balanced against each other and not against the Dark Age or Crusade factions.

BUT ...I have seen people doing it, playing the AFS factions against the regular ones.
And the thing is, if you have two not-so-experienced players... it doesnt really matter.
Their lists arent maxed out, the combination of units isnt the optimum one and they dont have that much experience with the Battleboards and dont use the most effective sequences of abilities....

In these cases it doesnt really matter, will feel like the factions are pretty even.

If you have two experienced players though... things will look quite different. In this case the AFS player would have the advantage and probably just crush his opponent.

What I usually recommend for smaller games is to use a point advantage for the Dark Age/Crusade player and not to use the Warlocks from AFS.

Have the AFS player use a 6/7 point list and give the other player 7/8 points. That seems to do the trick.

But Im not sure if this is still viable if used with higher numbers of points, the advantage of a single point could be too small then. (8 & 9 points, 9 & 10 points, or even above...)

And some news from the AFS dungeon!  lol

Currently working on three new factions simultaneously... not including the Goblins, which are almost finished.
Dont really know how quickly I can get these three factions done... cause developing the basic rules concept for one usually takes just a couple of weeks, but testing and tweaking it takes months...

But the Goblins will be ready soon and Im pretty certain I can get another two factions done by the end of the year... at that point AFS would offer 11 factions to choose from.

So long!
Barb
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
Thanks for this wonderful effort. I just went through the whole thread and downloaded all the files. I've never played Saga so far but now I'm seriously tempted.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »

Yay! Welcome on board!

Saga is a seriously ingenious game. Basic stats for the (few) profiles it has, but making huge differences between all factions possible by providing each with this Battleboard - a sort of "control panel"...

It is so simple, yet so good I seriously have no idea why no one came up ealier with this concept.
But maybe those are the best inventions, anyway.

Tell us about your experiences, once you dive in!
The Lead Adventure Forum is in serious need of mor Saga battle reports!

Cheers!
Barb

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »

(@Argonor: btw, great to see that your hobby-mojo is back! Remember what I told you in December? :D)

@all

Anyone who is interested in building an Archaeans force for AFS should have a look at this:

https://uk.trictrac.net/news/mythic-battles-pantheon

I am very tempted by this. You basically get all the creatures you could ever want for the Archaeans in one big set...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »
(@Argonor: btw, great to see that your hobby-mojo is back! Remember what I told you in December? :D)

I am actually still in a bit of a painting-limbo, allthough I force myself to get something done for Blood Eagle (which will, eventually, grow into SAGA forces), and have just finished a pirate for the current Painting Club (white glue is settling with the tufts and leaves o the base as we speak).

But, yes, I make a bit of progress, and as soon as I get some games played, my motivation will probably return to me.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
This looks awesome!  Thanks for all the time you put into this and for sharing it with us.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
I recently purchased a painted GW High Elf army, and was today looking into the factions of AFS - but it seems you have only covered the woodland kin and the evil ones. I can probably use the Wood Elf list for now, but I miss the heavy cavalry choices (such as Dragon Princes and Silver Helms).

Can you lift the veil a bit on, whether you have something planned for the High Elves somewhen in the future?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
I'll follow the voices thanking your for your amazing work! Definitely an amazing endeavor! :)

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:20 AM »
Thank you, guys!
Happy to be of service ;)

@Argonor

The Elves as they are are supposed to be a mix of Wood Elves, High Elves... I wasnt just thinking in Warhammer-terms, that is important to remember. I just wanted to create a list where you could fit in typical units from Warhammers Elves...

And I think you can: you have the option for heavy cavalry with the "Stormriders". Very effective unit when combined with the Battleboard Ability "Like Winter Winds"...
So there you have the means to use your Dragon Princes or Silver Helms...

The "Windriders" are also very effective and you can obviously use your Ellyrian Reavers...

"High Guard", "Spearmen", "Rangers", "Archers" are all very obvious, I think...

You also got the "Giant Eagle"... the Shooting Contraptions are also very effective in the Elves list, so there you have your Spear Throwers...
and the Moving Contraptions are also nice and perfect to cover the chariots.

And the Elven Battleboards focus on movement and archery is perfect to embody High Elves and Wood Elves as well, I think...
So, yeah, I dont have anything planned that is even more "High Elvish" than our Elves...

So long, have fun!
Barb

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Ah, as a simple note: your PDFs are WAYS too big, when creating them there's an option to compress the images, they could be one fifth as heavy as they are now!

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »

Once again, I would like to direct your attention to the fact that A Fantastic Saga has a Facebook-group now.

Currently there is a lot of nice content generated by the people in that group... something new almost daily and a lot of nice minis to look at.

So come and join the group!

So long!
Barb

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »
The Caves Have Eyes

9 points of Troglodytes!

In the shadows they lurk, from the shadows they come...

The Warlord who will be used as "Howler" as well as "Pack Master" variant, and his "Defilers"

Next in the chain of command, the saggy old hag that poses as my "Blightmage" and these little fire-bugs behind her are my "Spitters"

Here she is again, better photo

Climbing down from long forgotten ruins, the mighty Cave Troll

The dreadful "Cave Fiend", a giant worm tunneling its way through the rock...

And these spiders, which will be used as "Critters" or "Lurkers", depending on the opponents I face

Enjoy this trip into the dark caves of AFS!
Barb

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »
Lovely paintwork!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »