Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:00:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Fantastic SAGA  (Read 40149 times)

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
Re: A Fantastic SAGA
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
Nice mix of different models and manufacturers. Your painting really brings them together as a coherent group.
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
What an incredible amount of work you have put into this! You obviously have a love for the hobby and it shows.
I currently own the original SAGA as well as C&C and would like to thank you for all of your effort bringing in fantasy elements (saving me the headache) in such a well presented manner.
Just one small question. Any thoughts on "tweaks" of the Dwarf Board for use as Chaos Dwarfs?

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »

Thank you very much, guys!

And yeah, I think the painting style brings the minis together... it is something I have been experimenting with for a few years now... doing a colour scheme but not a strict scheme.
I used purple to tie all the units together, but there are dozens of different shades.

I think this is a much more interesting way to achieve coherence than the usual same-colour-all-over-thing.
And frankly that latter method drives me insane.
After painting 20 models using the same five colours you can drive me to the next mental institution...

@Pappa Midnight

Thanks! Yeah. This hobby is very important to me. It keeps me sane :D

And I thought quite a bit about Chaos Dwarves.
But there are other races that need work.
Maybe after I am done with the factions I would call the "core factions" I will go on and do some stuff like Chaos Dwarvish folks.

Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
That troglodyte army is fantastic!!!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

Thank you!

Und ich hab dein HdR-Projekt hier im Forum gesehen. Richtig gut.
Hätte gern mal gegen dich gespielt und diese hübschen Minis in Aktion gesehen.
Is echt schade, hab nämlich bis vor Kurzem in Bochum gewohnt.
Jetzt wohn ich zu weit weg... :/

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »

Well, well!

It has been a while. Real life trouble had kept me from pursuing work on AFS, but now I am back and in attack mode!  >:(

The Goblins/Kobaloi have been revised. Last few test matches showed there were some major problems with their Battleboard, so I tried to fix it. The next games will tell if they are ready to be made public.

I also completed the writing process on "The Empire" and this faction will be tested over the next few months.
I can already tell that this one will be A LOT of fun!
Very rewarding Battleboard. There are some abilities on there that are very hard to use right, but if you pull it off its gonna be a bloodshed among your enemies!

What else?
Well, Game Of Thrones got my attention and I realized I wanted to do my GoT Saga-mod in a fashion different from what I am doing with AFS.

I wrote the rules for "A Saga Of Ice And Fire" (SIF) and these will not be tested before being made public ... and they will be made public very soon...
testing them falls to the community this time!
People can send me their feedback and I will go over it and adjust rules accordingly.
I will give this a try and we will see how it works.

Soon I will open a new thread in this forum, specifically for that purpose.

Keep your eyes open!

PS:
For all the Lord Of The Rings-lovers... Im gonna do that Saga version the "AFS way", meaning I will test the rules with my "team" before releasing them to the world.
Probalby gonna start writing the rules in January and probably will have them ready to be tested somewhere around March/April... judging from past experience I would say this means they will be ready about six months later... so around this time next year the LOTR-mod will probably be out!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:34:08 PM by Barbarus »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »

For all the Lord Of The Rings-lovers... Im gonna do that Saga version the "AFS way", meaning I will test the rules with my "team" before releasing them to the world.
Probalby gonna start writing the rules in January and probably will have them ready to be tested somewhere around March/April... judging from past experience I would say this means they will be ready about six months later... so around this time next year the LOTR-mod will probably be out!

You might well already know it, but Unfinished Tales is invaluable to any one wanting to recreate Middle Earth warfare - in particular "The Battle of the Fords of the Isen" and "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields". Both have lots of detail on tactics, strengths and weaknesses of the forces involved.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
Merry Christmas, everybody!

Here are your presents: they are small, mean and they reek:
the Kobaloi!
  lol

Download:
http://www.a-fantastic-saga.com/rules-download?f=AFS_Kobaloi_PRINT.pdf

Cheers!
Have fun over the holidays!
Barb

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »
already saw this on the FB page, but it is quite up my alley! It may make me revisit my Moria Goblin Army which I started for God of Battles, but which stalled due to the number of models required.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »

Nice! Definitely wanna see your Moria Goblins!
(and remember that I am also working on a LOTR version of Saga ;) )

It is just so, so good to have a large "pool" of miniatures to choose from to play different games with.

I met a couple of new AFS players over the last few weeks and they currently use their fantasy miniatures for AFS, Frostgrave, old Warhammer editions (4-7) and Kings Of War.
I call that versatile.  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Nice! Definitely wanna see your Moria Goblins!
(and remember that I am also working on a LOTR version of Saga ;) )

It is just so, so good to have a large "pool" of miniatures to choose from to play different games with.

I met a couple of new AFS players over the last few weeks and they currently use their fantasy miniatures for AFS, Frostgrave, old Warhammer editions (4-7) and Kings Of War.
I call that versatile.  :D

I use my fantasy minis for Blood Eagle, God of Battles, soon for AFS, and maybe also somewhen in the future for KoW - and my Christmas Wars project. And multi-purposing is my hobby mantra - I simply do not buy and/or paint minis if I cannot think of at least two different games to use them for  :D

Am looking forward to the LotR version, but I am probably soon getting into AFS with some GW High Elves and my Lizardman legions (both armies bought 2nd-hand this last summer/autumn). The Goblins need a lot of work to become a playable force, but I may start expanding them by using them as allies for one of my God of Battles armies...

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Gentlemen, blow your trumpets! ;)
The Empire is here!

Download:
http://www.a-fantastic-saga.com/rules-download?f=AFS_Empire_PRINT.pdf

Have fun!
Barb

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
Hmmm... I do have those WGF late republican legionaires I wanted to paint some warbands for OGAM and Broken Legions from... Need to find time, though...  ::)

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »

Yeah, everyone has either some Romans or Warhammer Empire troops lying around  lol

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
Great stuff, thank you  :)

Now I really need to get more stuff painted  ;D