Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694513
  • Total Topics: 118612
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crooked Dice: Army Privates - OUT NOW  (Read 14414 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Crooked Dice: Army Privates - OUT NOW
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
These beauties went for mastering today. Four Army Privates with SLR - and there are four more coming with Sterling SMGs - with hopefully all eight released in October.

These are the first 3D prints from Ernst Veingart since he moved to sculpting with Z-Brush and to say we're delighted with the results is an understatement. Bigger pics over the coming days…

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:20:20 AM by uti long smile »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Crooked Dice: Army Privates
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
Top notch! 8) The guy second from the right reminds me of someone!  :?

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »
Oooh, perfect for so many settings, real and imagined.

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
They're nice. :)
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Very nice. They are very useful and good sculpted again. Ernst Veingart is amazing and not so static like other. Looking forward to the release
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »
Looking good, although the berets look a bit flat on top, overall effect is more pastry chef than squaddie. That said they look like very nice sculpts. I''m definitely interested in these.

I know I'm not the target market but would it be possible to do some head variants, like tin hats? Some extra kit, like kidney pouches and water bottles and maybe a variant with GPMG? Some of us would no doubt use these for Cold War scenarios, I know I would.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »
We asked and you answered!  :D
Very nice! I can't wait to see those with the Sterlings.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »
Very impressive.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
Very nice
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
Looking good, although the berets look a bit flat on top, overall effect is more pastry chef than squaddie.

I'm surprised you missed that there are no toe caps on the boots either.  ;)

To be honest I recall some real 'bad berets' from '60s & '70s TV... actors don't have a clue. So in that sense they do indeed look like 'TV soldiers'. I agree though that it would be great if they were had more cross-over potential by looking a little bit more like the real thing.

That aside I'm really impressed with these sculpts, the faces have bags of character!  :)

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »
To be honest I recall some real 'bad berets' from '60s & '70s TV... actors don't have a clue. So in that sense they do indeed look like 'TV soldiers'. I agree though that it would be great if they were had more cross-over potential by looking a little bit more like the real thing.

And there's the rub - do you go for TV/Hollywood authenticity, which may be ahistorical, or do you go for the 'real thing' but miss the feel of the tv show/film?  Or do you down the commercially questionable route of catering for both?  (I currently have this dilemma with one of our lines where the correct webbing for the film is wrong for the uniform they are wearing, if wanting to use them for real-world scenarios.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:26:18 PM by Mike Bravo Minis »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »
I'm surprised you missed that there are no toe caps on the boots either.  ;)

That aside I'm really impressed with these sculpts, the faces have bags of character!  :)

Well now you mention it. :) Actually it's the webbing gaiters with DPM style trousers that's more annoying. Should really be puttees unless you are doing early 1960s. That's not a biggie I suppose, A bit of work with a file and/or cover the gaiters with greenstuff or the simple expedient of lead foil.

Hopefully constructive criticism but these look a little chunkier than the earlier figures. That may just be a factor of the image and the jackets look a tad long. Still overall pretty good, it's mostly the berets that seem to sit high and flat that are off putting.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »
Well now you mention it. :) Actually it's the webbing gaiters with DPM style trousers that's more annoying. Should really be puttees unless you are doing early 1960s. That's not a biggie I suppose, A bit of work with a file and/or cover the gaiters with greenstuff or the simple expedient of lead foil.

Hopefully constructive criticism but these look a little chunkier than the earlier figures. That may just be a factor of the image and the jackets look a tad long. Still overall pretty good, it's mostly the berets that seem to sit high and flat that are off putting.

We've always gone for hysterical rather than historical accuracy. TV soldiers have very much been the inspiration.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
Those are fantastic ... just what I've been looking for.  I'm assuming they will complement the 'Army Section'? Any chance you are thinking of a boxed set?
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 10:12:23 AM »
That would be a grand idea!