Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686505
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Video of bloke puncturing steel with a selection of polearms in a barn  (Read 10135 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Video of bloke puncturing steel with a selection of polearms in a barn
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:09 AM »
I don't know.  The guy demonstrated what he set out to demonstrate - that various pointy sticks powered by muscle can puncture steel plate with enough force to seriously jack up the guy inside.  Although he proved his point (heh), he still threw in a bunch of caveats and warnings about curved armor, heat of battle, and so on.  I wouldn't read much more into his demonstration than that it answered one very specific question.

It's kind of like those "Deadliest Warrior" blokes who analyze and demonstrate the various implements and tactics wielded by different soldiers through history.  Great at showing the physics and scale of trauma inflicted by different weapons.  Great at comparing defensive capabilities of different kinds of armor.  Absolute garbage when it came to direct comparisons of soldier X versus soldier Y.  Does what it says, and the people that read to much into it are the ones you gotta watch.

I hate to state the obvious but that is all fine and dandy of you 'get it'. Not so if you're not so clued up re;armours and weapons of the Late Middle Ages.

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
I love stating the obvious, it's the only time I'm usually sure I'm right.  ;)

I often think we are moving away from 'historical representation' in general and towards 'sensationalism'. There has been the odd comment here and there about hobby magazines being 'too heavy on the history' when it comes to articles. So the 'Deadliest Warrior' format plays to this depth of historical need.

You can add in the advertising blurbs for ranges from at least one big company, that typically says (I imagine they would use Samuel L. Jackson in voice over) "Cool troops! Buy them!" for every new release, whether they fought throughout WWII, or were raised in the last few months of it.

Let's face it the idea of massed archery mowing down droves of French orcs knights like Legolas in LotR and limbs flying akimbo in the melee, is far more exciting than the reality.

;)   

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

You can add in the advertising blurbs for ranges from at least one big company, that typically says (I imagine they would use Samuel L. Jackson in voice over) "Cool troops! Buy them!" for every new release, whether they fought throughout WWII, or were raised in the last few months of it.

Naughty...... but nice  :D :D :D lol

Darrell.