Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE at last! 3rd Feb  (Read 36744 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FIVE MORE PAINTED (2nd September)
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 04:16:05 PM »
Actually, I've never actually used wire for spears and banner poles. Perhaps now it is time for me to learn?

If anyone could direct me to a good tutorial for replacing plastic spears with wire ones, it would be appreciated!

Personally, I was never too devoted to wire spears, although I haven't had long experience with either type. I've used them if that was the most convenient source for the minis (metal ones, usually) or as replacements for broken plastic spears (rarely), but then I've also fashioned the odd replacement spear from styrene rod. I think I just prefer the moulded heads and 'heft' of plastic spears - I'll be using metal rod for some high elf spearmen, but mostly because I can pin the chunky plastic heads back on. Otherwise I'm looking with interest at the Fireforge plastic spears. I might change my mind if those turn out too fragile.

But I digress. It's fun watching your kitbashes as well as doing them. :) And those metals are impressive. Did you mention what paint of method you used with those?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FIVE MORE PAINTED (2nd September)
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
Otherwise I'm looking with interest at the Fireforge plastic spears. I might change my mind if those turn out too fragile.

I was thinking those Fireforge spears look rather chunky? But I've only seen them in the box, not actually in use.

As for the metals - couldn't be easier! GW Mithril Silver, followed by an appropriately watered down black ink, then just careful Mithril Silver highlights again to neaten things up.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FLAGS OF WAR (10th September)
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »
Well, here it is in all its glory! The colours of House Tully!

It's from Flags Of War, their 'fantasy medieval fish banner' of course. Gotta say it's very nice, this is actually my first time ever using a printed paper flag like this, wasn't quite sure how it would turn out. I'm very pleased! I even messed it up a bit cutting it out, and was pleasantly surprised to find how easy painting over the white edges was to neaten it up.

The set included two identical flags, so the other one will be carried by a mounted man at arms at a later date.

Meanwhile, here's the latest four from the paintbench. Took longer than I wanted as I was distracted by other things.

I also bought lots of movement trays from Warbases. I will be using a Warhammer-based system, hence the 20mm bases, and purchases loads of movement trays for all all formations I am likely to be using.... 3x5, 3x6, 4x6, etc etc... They are lasercut MDF, and very nice indeed. Not sure how I'm gonna paint them yet - just spray them black, or texture them the same way as I have been doing the individual bases?

Also, there's something I've been wondering about in terms of men at arms. The archer to MAA ratio has been debated to death, but what about bills to MAA? I'm thinking about this because the idea of having all the dismounted MAA fighting together as one unit just doesn't seem right. Surely they would be spread out among the lightly-armoured billmen? Or maybe not - would all the English nobility actually stand shoulder to shoulder in their full plate armour and wield their pole-axes together?
I've been constructing a lot of heavily armoured infantry for an elite unit, but the idea of all of them in full plate just doesn't seem right to me. Which explains some of the conversions I've posted previously - veteran retainers who are more heavily equipped and experienced than the average billman, but don't have access to a full harness. I don't want to just use all the bodies from the Foot Knights set either - there are definitely some I like much more than others.
If a MAA wasn't a knight, how likely was he to have access to a full suit of plate?
Would the nobility provide good quality armour for particularly loyal and long-serving veteran retainers?
Would the MAA be fighting together, or each leading groups of billmen?
Any thoughts about 15th century infantry would be welcome, not just English but European as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:59:22 AM by Charlie_ »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FLAGS OF WAR (10th September)
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
Well that seemingly simple question is a massive can of worms, which has indeed been argued to death and back again - mainly because the evidence is so tenuous, that in summary, nobody knows. So you can take a view, but the truth is, best to do what looks right to you.
Like you, I'm doubtful that the wealthiest men able to afford full plate (referred to as 'harness' and 'white armour' in the day) banded together into units. Seems much more likely to me that these well off, upper class types, fought along with their men, who were probably less well armoured to varying degrees. Acting as leaders, shock troops, and stiffeners of resolve. But I don't think you'll hear anything on the matter that hasn't already been said here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=59060.0

It would be better to avoid having the same old debate all over again in your thread here - that's why we've got the sticky  :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FOUR FAVOURITES (15th September)
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »
Well that seemingly simple question is a massive can of worms, which has indeed been argued to death and back again - mainly because the evidence is so tenuous, that in summary, nobody knows. So you can take a view, but the truth is, best to do what looks right to you.
Like you, I'm doubtful that the wealthiest men able to afford full plate (referred to as 'harness' and 'white armour' in the day) banded together into units. Seems much more likely to me that these well off, upper class types, fought along with their men, who were probably less well armoured to varying degrees. Acting as leaders, shock troops, and stiffeners of resolve. But I don't think you'll hear anything on the matter that hasn't already been said here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=59060.0

It would be better to avoid having the same old debate all over again in your thread here - that's why we've got the sticky  :)

Ahhh yes, that thread. I've read through that all before, and looking through it again it's got some very interesting things within!

I think I'm going to go with quite low numbers of full plate - it's going to take a very long time for me to use up all the bodies in the Foot Knights box, whilst I will keep on making billmen and bowmen.

Here's my latest four.

These area some of my favourite kitbash conversions I have done lately. All feature parts from across various kits. The sword-and-buckler man uses arms from the Agincourt To Orleans set, which fit very nicely onto the WOTR sets.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - FOUR FAVOURITES (15th September)
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »
Yes indeed, i did pretty much the same thing with the sword and buckler man. That spearman also works extremely well though. Keep 'em coming  :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - Latest update 18th September
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
Keep 'em coming  :)

Ok!

Lots of steel on this batch.

The banner uses an old Citadel transfer, part of a bulk set I got off ebay. I will be using these for more simple heraldry like this to represent 'anonymous' houses to be used for any faction.

Here's a question... The chap with the 2-handed sword. Is that supposed to be drawn from the empty scabbard provided in the foot knights set, which I've used here? It's a little too long if you put them side by side. Or do you think he would carry the 2-handed sword, and have another sword as a side-arm? The difference in length between the single and 2-handed swords really isn't much.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:30:07 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - Latest update 18th September
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
Lovely updates. On one piece metal models I have seen a regular sword in hip scabbard while they wield another two handed, while on others I have seen a two handed strapped to their back while they wield sword and shield and have an empty hip scabbard. Saying that I'm sure there must be some where the two handed sword is their only weapon so perhaps they may carry them at the hip? Whatever the case historically this is for a fantasy-medieval theme so I'd say go with what feels right for you. Thanks for sharing

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - NOT ALL ABOUT PLASTIC (23rd Sep)
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
So, a lot of the Perry WOTR metal figures are nothing special when you consider that you can pretty much make them with the plastic kits. However there are some which you can't (or at least I can't!), and one which I really liked the look of was the standing men at arms with polearms. They are in cool poses, leaning on their pollaxes. So I got the set, the first bit of metal to add to the plastic mountain.

This next batch features the first of them painted. I've gotta say after working with plastic for a while, metal is a nightmare! Plastic is just so much 'cleaner', if you know what I mean. But still, I really love this model, and I think he came out great! Beside him is one of my earlier conversions who I am also extra happy with - I liked the combination of equipment I put together for him, but thought it might be wasted on his boring pose. But I think the colours have made him work great! Also one little breakthrough for me here - I've managed to successful paint a bit of stubble on their faces. Lots of my soldiers from now on will be sporting 5 o clock shadows! I might even go back and add it to some of the earlier ones who I think it will suit.

And here's three less interesting ones from the same batch.

That's now 30 minis painted! Another batch or two and I think it will be time for a group shot.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:51:26 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 03:44:14 AM »
Nice work Charlie  :-*

Darrell.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 04:06:54 AM »
Lovely figures, looking forward to your cavalry.  :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
Very nice - well done :-*

What colour & brand are you using for your silver Highlight on the armour?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 06:56:42 AM »
Great additions. Thanks for sharing

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
Thank you all!

What colour & brand are you using for your silver Highlight on the armour?

The only silver I'm using is Citadel Mithril Silver. For all the armour I just basecoat with this, then carefully black ink, then neaten up / highlight with Mithril Silver again.

Lovely figures, looking forward to your cavalry.  :)

Er yes, I suppose I'm looking forward to painting all those horses as well!  o_o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
Nicely done Charlie_

Yes, the metal figures are pretty crude compared to the plastic figures - although strangely, once painted up, they look just as good.

And yes, I've painted around 50 cavalry, and the horses are, sad to admit, an absolute chore...  :(
(I actually enjoy painting the horseflesh, but all the tack is a ruddy, fiddly palaver... And I've got another 10 to do on the paint table right now... Putting them off... )