Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:12:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690479
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord British FOO's  (Read 2915 times)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Warlord British FOO's
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:04:52 AM »
I began painting almost four years ago and recently decided it is time to begin doing some historical figures.  As WWII is my favourite period, I thought I would begin here.

As I am not yet certain where within the period my focus will end up, I chose something simple-these 28mm British Forward Observation Officers from Warlord.  

My main goal with this first effort was to get the colours of the uniforms, packs and webbing correct using the Reaper Paints I already own. 

One mistake I believe I made is with the helmets.  Although I have seen helmets in various shades of green, these came out a bit too bright.  Perhaps I should have used a dull Olive, but I'm not certain.  Further, I do not have a grasp on weathering techniques as of yet and I think these figures are a bit too clean looking.

I plan on doing some exploring before I purchase my first platoon to paint.  Currently I have a Vickers Machine Gun and 4 crew from Perry, US Airborne Bazooka & 40mm Light Mortar Teams from Warlord and Afrika Corps Kradschutzen Motorcycle and Sidecar from Warlord.  Hopefully practicing on these will help me decide what I want to do before I spend a lot of money on paints and painting guides.  Once I make a decision, I can begin doing more in depth research so that I can do a proper job.

Any advice would be welcome.  Thank you.

Offline macgarns

• Bookworm
Re: Warlord British FOO's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
Nice painting on ugly figs : the kneeling soldier is nearly as tall as the standing one ...
FRED

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
Pretty good job, I think the helmets are fine, my only criticism would be the colour of the kneeling gents lips, a little to red, but otherwise pretty good.

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
Pretty good job, I think the helmets are fine, my only criticism would be the colour of the kneeling gents lips, a little to red, but otherwise pretty good.

Those lips are ridiculous aren't they and I should fix them.  However as long as you think the uniforms and the helmets are fine, I'm pleased with that.

I rarely post my work anymore, but I may pop in every couple months with a question for you guys.

Thank you!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
Annie, I think you should continue to post as your work is good and inspirational to many. Have you been trolled?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
Annie, I think you should continue to post as your work is good and inspirational to many. Have you been trolled?

No I've not been trolled. People have been very kind and encouraging. My life is just really busy and I've little time to post.  Also I've gotten to a place where I'm painting just for myself and don't feel a strong need to share anymore.  I think that's a good sign as it means it's the hobby that's got me hooked rather than need for positive reinforcement.  Even if I paint in solitude, I'll paint till I die!