Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Geezers.... should I?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Geezers.... should I?
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
I'm poised to pick up some coppers from Killer B and I'm sorely tempted by Regan and Carter (the Caine Carter rather than Waterman one) and, well... should I just go for it and pick up the ruleset? is it any good?

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Geezers.... should I?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »
In my opinion yes! I saw a few games run by Lowtardog and Overlord recently and it was excellent fun. So much so it's on my list of projects for the new year. 
Don't!

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
being a big fan of the sweeney i was going to get a few figures to paint up as a break to my other projects but after looking at the yahoo group i will get the rules and most of the figures i  think
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:23:46 PM by itchy »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
In my opinion, yes, you should.

I played one of the games with Overlord and Lowtardog, and while I'm not really a gamer, and was initially wary of a new ruleset, I had an absolute blast playing it and picked up the basics really easily.

I think the best thing about it is the campaign style system, succesful blags raise your villains' Nous scores and make them more likely to get away with the next job. There is something similar for the cops too, and I can see it being great fun to track the rise of a young upstart thug to the heights of the criminal fraternity, being doggedly pursued by a flat footed nemesis. Think Mordheim with flares and cortinas, and you're on the right lines.

There's quite a strong role playing element too it as well, which really enhances the game (although revford got into it a lot more than I did).

If I had anyone to play against, I'd deffo pick up a set of the rules, but I don't.  :(  I may still pick up some of the figures though, as the ones we used in the game were much nicer than they look on the website.

Two thumbs up from this happy camper.  :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
Only a right slaaag would let this one get away (That is to say, I recommend these rules and figures without reservation).

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:49:41 PM »
It's great, even though that stone cold crook JollyBob got away with 2/3s of the swag I had a ton of fun playing it.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
Shut It!

I would definately recommend them.  Fairly simple mechanics but, as JollyBob said, the real fun comes from getting into the spirit of the game.  Having seen The Sweeney first time around or watching the current reruns (UK ITV4) definately helps.

Lowtardog & I ran 5 games last weekend and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.  In 2 the blaggers (mostly) got away with the loot.  In the other 3 they had their collars felt to varying degrees.  Special mention to Matakishi, the fiendish criminal mastermind, who got away scot free with all the loot (probably to buy cork with) leaving the coppers flatfooted.  :D

Currently 33 miniatures out with more on the way soon.

http://www.killerbgames.com/geezersshutit.html
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GeezersShutit/
http://thesweeney.info/

Sorted!   8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:04 AM »
Special mention to Matakishi, the fiendish criminal mastermind, who got away scot free with all the loot (probably to buy cork with) leaving the coppers flatfooted.  :D

Don't remind me..... ;)

Yep, buy it, I had a great game even though my CID are now back in uniform... :( :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
I never had time to play tis particular game at BLAM! but I think it is fair to say that it was the one which pulled most players attention. I think everyone but me had a go. There was a godawful racket from that corner anyway with people hollering and wooping as blaggers and coppers duked it out on Overloards gorgeous gameboard. So am I positive towards this game? Indeed I am! And why? Because through it Lowtardog taught me how to say 'bastard' with a Geordie accent, which is the only proper way to say it.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »
I never had time to play tis particular game at BLAM! but I think it is fair to say that it was the one which pulled most players attention. I think everyone but me had a go. There was a godawful racket from that corner anyway with people hollering and wooping as blaggers and coppers duked it out on Overloards gorgeous gameboard. So am I positive towards this game? Indeed I am! And why? Because through it Lowtardog taught me how to say 'bastard' with a Geordie accent, which is the only proper way to say it.

lol lol lol What a canny lad Hammers is :D

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35:14 PM »
Also, I heard that the chap who wrote Geezers! is a very handsome fellow with a fabulous dress sense. ;)

So I would definately buy the rules..... And the figures!

Oh and he can say B**tard in Geordie as well as many other expletives.

I wonder if a Geezers scenario set in the North East with as geordie glossary would appeal. :?

Anyway, must dash me mams putting me tea on and ah think its a little fishy on a little dishy. :P
"Morning!"

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
Also, I heard that the chap who wrote Geezers! is a very handsome fellow with a fabulous dress sense. ;)

So I would definately buy the rules..... And the figures!

Oh and he can say B**tard in Geordie as well as many other expletives.

I wonder if a Geezers scenario set in the North East with as geordie glossary would appeal. :?

Anyway, must dash me mams putting me tea on and ah think its a little fishy on a little dishy. :P

When the Boat Comes in

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:46:43 PM »
Hang on in there. Kipper ties & flares will be back one day.  lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »

You'd have to release a "Jimmy Nail-alike" figure with a Sierra Cosworth, to make it work  lol