Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grenadier Box "Gold Line" group "painting" Therapy?  (Read 47831 times)

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
Re: Grenadier Box "Fighting Men" group "painting" Therapy?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »
Hi. I have the Dragon Lords box "Folklore creatures of the night." If you get around to those, I will join in.

Best of luck.

As to painting tips, I would say water down the paint and work with small amount of paint on the brush. Brush maintenance is key, so that it keeps a good tip. There is a brush cleaner that comes in a beige tub, I think it is called "The Old Masters" or something like that, which works wonders. I currently have some other stuff but it is not as good.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »
Otherworld that's a fine collection of lead. I have a few lined up, some Julie Guthrie sculpts, but first I want to repaint my Runequest collection and get them on the table as Otherworld factions, but I'll post my grenadier results here

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
Another in the camp of would love to join in but have too many other ongoing painting projects at the moment.  Will be following the thread with interest though.  I do love the Grenedier boxed series miniatures getting attention.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »
Don't wait for me. First have to find the models (  Brax knows... o_o ) and secondly I'm not sure I have model A ( the fighter that is, not the Ford automobile... ). I remember some of them came in quite damaged too, so I'll follow this thread and will let you know if and when I contribute  :).
Leadhead

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
OK, I think I'll start off by painting the armour on them all first to get that out of the way, then concentrate on them one at a time once that is done. 

Have you noticed, btw, how lightly armoured they are, considering they supposed to be AD&D Fighting Men?  No plate mail to be seen, most in chainmail, some with padded armour and some not armoured at all.  I'm surprised that there isn't at least one in full plate, and even more surprised that I never noticed before in the 30 odd years that I've owned them!
Otherworld Miniatures Webstore - http://www.otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
Have you noticed, btw, how lightly armoured they are, considering they supposed to be AD&D Fighting Men?  No plate mail to be seen, most in chainmail, some with padded armour and some not armoured at all.  I'm surprised that there isn't at least one in full plate, and even more surprised that I never noticed before in the 30 odd years that I've owned them!

Now you mention it, that is indeed odd, never did think much about that,  but I guess we're looking at low level fighters that haven't had the opportunity to upgrade their armour.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
See that was another noob mistake I made...   I guess we paint them as a group anyway....

I just moved house, but am just about done organizing the "family" stuff... the hobby room is last but I got some stuff ON the table at least!

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Right, I've finished basing the set of 10 Fighting Men, on 1 pence pieces, old school style.  I've done some fairly simple textured Miliput groundwork on them, so I'll leave that overnight to go off.  I plan to start painting tomorrow, working on all the metal parts first.  I'll post a work-in-progress shot tomorrow, if I remember to bring my camera home this time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:05:05 PM by otherworld »

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
I'll be back from holiday tomorrow evening and will try to locate my boxes and do so prep work. Not sure if I can match the speed I'm seeing in this topic though  o_o

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:37 AM »
Got mine primed and have started...   I hope to post some in progress pics by end of Holiday weekend

If you have already painted (in the past) any of these from the box, please post pics for inspiration!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
I like the idea of the group therapy painting thing...though I don't think using old oop boxes is the best way to go about it.  I'd be in if someone picks a boxed set which is in production currently.  Neat idea.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
I like the idea of the group therapy painting thing...though I don't think using old oop boxes is the best way to go about it.  I'd be in if someone picks a boxed set which is in production currently.  Neat idea.

That benefit of the choice of this OOP set is that I finally took it from the lead mountain and found out that my box contain only 50% of the fighters... what the rest is, I have no clue (yet), except that they are also old OOP grenadier probably from other gold line boxes, I'll have to look that up.

Then again I'm up for a "therapy" session when either 25th HQ, Myth Journeyman, Conan, Dungeon Saga arrive. God knows, I can use the motivation to get a enough models painted for the games. If you can't wait so long, either Descent or Myth is also s goof choice. I might even start painting some dungeon pieces.  o_o

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
I was thinking about the same lines... Blood Rage might get more people started, AoS too ( but not me  ;) ) but I still have to penetrate my very own Lead Star to liberate my old Grenadier Adventurers...

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
though I don't think using old oop boxes is the best way to go about it.
Its what I have... and what I "collect", so naturally, its what I chose...

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »
If anyone wants to feel better about their own painting skills, all ya gotta do is look at my stuff!
 lol

I've been chipping away at it, and really, I suck at painting.  I've been following different "how to paint" guides on the web, and using the stuff that is on this forum for inspiration, but, at the end of the day, its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.

Anyway, I put my brush down 30 years ago, and have recently picked it up, so here goes.  

And naturally, my phone ran out of batteries after the first photo.

Still a work in process, but here is how it is going.

I am really struggling with brush control.... you'd think I was a life-long alcoholic that is suffering the DTs the way I handle a brush....

But, these aren't meant to be show winners, they are just pieces to use for gaming with my 10 year old boy and anyone else we can trick into playing with us.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:40:58 PM by Revfan »