Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689705
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grenadier Box "Gold Line" group "painting" Therapy?  (Read 47795 times)

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
Re: Grenadier Box "Gold Line" group "painting" Therapy?
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2016, 11:25:50 PM »
Really nice paintwork there.

Also, those dwarves look like very nicely sculpted.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »
I had the wizard and dwarf sets, among others.  They are both fantastic and you did them great justice!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
I can't believe that this thread has languished for more than a year!  Where has the time gone?   :o

Anyway, I've been working on old Citadel, Asgard and Minifigs stuff for a while, but ready to get back to the Grenadier stuff now.

Since last posting here, I've finished my Halfling set, and I'm about halfway done on my Hirelings.  I'll post some pics shortly.

Anyone else?
Otherworld Miniatures Webstore - http://www.otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
Anyone else?

Sadly no...  RL has reduced my level of active gaming and painting hours drastically. I just have to take care that the 4 year old will not surpas me in amount of minis painted in a year, which at the moment is not that hard....

I also have to agree that this thread did not even feel that old that it had to be resurrected, which clearly was needed, thanks for that and the motivatin that it gives!
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2018, 01:55:42 AM »
When it comes to the Gold Line, in the past year or two I have got a number of encounter groups to the primed-and-ready-to-paint stage:

• Goblins (1st type from the box sets, not second type from the blister, and actually including some Wizzards & Warriors range "kobolds" mixed in)
  • Dwarves (box set)
  • Gnomes (big group of the five gold-line sculpts)
  • Aspis (took years to collect enough for an encounter group, as they came one-to-the-box with 8 other figures you mainly needed only one of! ;D )

Also cleaned, based and primed a half dozen or so assorted humans from the small boxed sets about 2 months ago.

And have some on the workbench now--am cleaning up and modding a group of Gnolls made from the two "Denizens of the Swamp" sculpts. And two lizardmen conversions to add to my finished group.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:05:51 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
This thread's an absolute joy! I hadn't read through it all before: the stuff here's just splendid!

In particular, the lizardmen are wonderful. I really like Revfan's "hybrid" approach - reptilian heads and tails and mammalian bodies. I've seen that done before a few times, and it's got a wonderfully pulpy - and very D&Dish - feel. The others are superb too. I see that Mirliton still has some of these in print - ah, the temptation ...

I've always struggled a bit with Grenadier figures of all vintages, in large part because they seem immune to drybrushing: something about the way that Dennet et al. sculpted scales and fur. I should probably try a less lazy approach, as I have a fair amount of the Fantasy Lords stuff kicking around.

One thing all of you have demonstrated amply on this thread is just how well these old miniatures hold up. They have a charm that goes well beyond the quaint, and I think they actually look much better on the table - especially in dungeons! - than many of the musclebound or "overposed" modern miniatures.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »
I took some pics tonight of the primed Gold Line stuff I have on the workbench. The past two years I've been taking advantage of assembly line and economies of scale techniques and doing huge batches of each prep task, and I have tons of primed figures to paint now.

Adventurers

Adventurers

Some of these are weapon-swaps and/or fixes, for example I fixed the mask the guy on the top second from the left which was skewed pretty badly in the molding process. The female thief was pretty delicate at the ankles and I have steel wires reinforcing her legs, so now she is rock solid. I resculpted the dagger so it can point out from the body in a natural way.

Mind Flayer

Dwarves

Gnomes

There's a Citadel gnome in their midst...

Goblins

Some Wizzards and Warriors line "kobolds" are mixed in. The main difference is the kobolds had tiny feet, so you can see I enlarged them (after I primed them). I love that I have mounted and foot versions of the leader-type. Also, spot the converted Gold Line dwarf! (Hint: a casting of the dwarf is shown painted earlier in this thread)

Aspis
The one second from the right is the stock pose, but I cut the antennae free on the other castings and then a little greenstuff was needed to smooth things out. Big improvement, though, IMO. I would have liked to have done some conversions but life is too short in this case. I sucked it up and am going with a whole unit of one pose, and after a deep breath I am perfectly happy with it that way.  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:58:30 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
Here's my set of Halflings.  They're lovely figures, and a real joy to paint.  The pony had succumbed to a bit of the dreaded lead rot, so I had to cut away part of its belly and rebuild with Miliput.  Hopefully it won't oxidise any further.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
Amazing Richard!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2018, 02:27:18 AM »
The halflings are very nice!

Offline Thorlokk the boneless

• Student
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
Some great works on some old school figures. I may try my hand on some of these sets I still have tucked away
I don't write the rules
   I wrong the rules

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
There are some really great looking figures in these ranges, the Dwarves and Halflings both look very good. And some great painting on the Halflings by otherworld

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
haven't gone right through the thread yet - but love your painting style Otherworld!

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
Greetings all!

My bench sat idle for more than a year.... my father/mother passed... fell into a bit of depression... and a recent house move.

The house move caused me to pack everything up... and I hesitated before "unpacking it"... but honestly, I have a creative side of me that just needs to scratch the itch in an "artsy" way, and painting these figures from my childhood seems to kill a few birds with one stone.

So, I have the females primed.... I just need to knock the dust off of them and get going.

If you have been working on any gold line stuff... please feel free to post/join in. 

You never know, there could be somebody halfway around the world that your painting gives enough inspiration for them to crawl a bit further out of their depression!

:)

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
Oh, what a trip down memory lane. I loved these old grenadier models, in fact, they were some of the first figs I painted and I still have them so I will try to post some pictures. A couple of years ago I picked up a few old boxes that are in my lead pile. This thread may motivate me to insert painting some into the many projects I have going now just for fun. Keep posting and painting everyone. Old school D&D figures rule!  :-*