Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Fourth (and Final!) part posted  (Read 7315 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Finally got to play my first game of PA last night.  Gary from Forlorn Hope Games came over and we set to with willing hearts…! Now I know the meaning of the word “mayhem” – 17 Characters started. At the end, there was one man standing.

Yep – it was bloodbath, influenced no doubt by a Scenario Events roll that made all Perils Extreme Perils. The number of followers that met their demise by climbing over walls was truly devastating  :D

Since it was our first game, we decided to play Smash and Grab with the slight difference that to win, a player had to control the major plot point plus at least two of the others. I provided a back-story to give it some context within my 1930s “world” and we added details to the plot points from the random generator in the rules. To enable us to get started quickly, I had made two leagues in advance – we rolled for who had which. We also left out Resources, Backup (I missed out here because my league’s perk was “Call to Arms”), Contacts and Gear. We did include Scenario Events which played a major part in the game, of which more later.

Background
Sir Gilbert Hill, https://velodoug.wordpress.com/, taking time out from his vital efforts in the Civil War, was visiting his cousin, Sir Rufus Pitt-Bulstrode, Squire of Much Rampling in Borsetshire. However, before he had time for a much needed snifter, he was made aware that all was not well in the Much Rampling area.

Apparently Sir Rufus, as chairman of the local Watch Committee, had got wind of a planned attempt by some political roughnecks to disrupt the annual fete in the neighbouring village of Little Bedding. Sir Rufus had to make an effort to prevent this happening; the local bobby at Little Bedding, Constable Gravy, had no chance of taking on the hooligans on his own. However, Sir Rufus could not call on any of his employees or tenants because they were all, so he said, vitally employed elsewhere.

Realising what was coming, Sir Gilbert, displaying his characteristic brio, offered to come to the rescue. “Don’t worry, old boy, I’ll send some of my people – they’ll put these scoundrels to the rightabout”. He gave instructions to his man, Stirrup to gather together a suitable group from amongst his followers and sent him off to do battle against whomsoever should disturb the Little Bedding peace.

ALL IS CALM AS THE LITTLE BEDDING FETE GETS UNDER WAY

SMALL DISTURBANCE AT LITTLE BEDDING
Stirrup’s League:
Stirrup (Leader) - Intimidating, Rugged, Danger Sense
Fragrance Sweetmeat, Sir Gilbert’s secretary (Sidekick) – Shrewd, Quick Shot
Roger Gently (Ally) – Burst Fire
Constable Smallbottom (Follower) – Fierce
Marlborough, Sir Gilbert’s Dog (Follower) – Animal
NOTE This league had an Associate - Wrench, Sir Gilbert’s butler, but we didn’t use his abilities in this game

Roughneck Agitators
Their Perk was Mastermind so the true Leader did not appear – who could he or she be?
Cecll Pimms “Leader”  (Sidekick) – Muscles of Steel, Quick Strike
Bert (Ally) – Sailing Master
Sam (Ally) – Burst Fire
Bill (Ally) – Sharp
PLUS 8 unnamed Followers: 2 with Marksman; 2 with Savvy; 2 with Fierce; 2 with Speedy

We rolled a die for Leagues - I got Stirrup. I also got initiative which I was able to keep for the whole game apart from one brief interruption. Stirrup himself, however, was delayed for one turn (Scenario Event).

As the morris men warm up in the park.....

....and customers enjoy a drink outside the pub.....

....trouble is brewing

Continued tomorrow

Doug

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:40:43 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
Really great looking table Doug.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
That is looking great, Doug.
 :-* :-*

Small disturbance....?
I see Morris Men, more than a little disturbed, I would say.
 :D

Looking forward to the rest.....

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Part 2
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
continued

Constable Gravy, intent on watching the morris men, is till unaware of danger

Miss Marble, the village school teacher, tells an itinerant she doesn't want to buy a watch

Stirrup sends his League into the village from the south - Constable Broadbottom on the left; Roger Gently with Marlborough in the centre and Miss Sweetmeat on the right. The morris men head for the pub

From the north, more riff-raff stream into the village

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Part 2 added
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
Fantastic minis and terrain! THANKS so much for playing and sharing Pulp Alley.  :D

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Part 2 added
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
Fantastic minis and terrain!

Thanks but they're nowhere near your standard. The good thing about the terrain is, there's a lot of it... :)

Anyway, to continue:

Miss Sweetmeat quickly secures a Plot Point, hidden in a barrel, for Stirrup's League

As does Constable Broadbottom

Meanwhile, 2 female hooligans, brush past staff and customers at the pub in search of a plot point for Pimms' League

The first to enter encounters a strange fellow (the Plot Point) and is immediately and mysteriously struck down (failed peril)

Her companion follows and suffers the same fate...!

Pimms' Followers now swarm into the park - scattering by-standers (including a reporter and photographer. One falls while climbing over the wall and is down and out...! Constable Gravy remains calm

Others (including the sinister figure of Pimms himself) move up the road and through the doctor's garden. The doctor and his wife flee in terror

Accurate fire from Constable Broadbottom and Roger Gently take out 2 of Pimms' hooligans. Another suffers the consequences of falling off a wall

There's another episode to inflict on you soon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:13:52 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Part 3 now posted
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
Brilliant, Doug.
Pure eye candy with a generous dollop of chuckling for good measure.

Seeing as how I am slowly being sucked into the VBCW trap, this isnt helping me resist more dabbling in the period, ya know?
 >:D ;)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »
Great stuff! Keep 'em coming.  :D

If you are not familiar with our Phantom Agent promo, check it out at --- http://store.pulpalley.com/

You can pick up some unique promo Pulp Alley cards, but please be sure to read and follow the instructions.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »
I love your terrain :-* You have some great stuff

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
Brilliant, Doug.
Pure eye candy with a generous dollop of chuckling for good measure.

Thanks, Paul. I'm such a fan of your games, this is praise indeed... :D

Great stuff! Keep 'em coming.  :D

If you are not familiar with our Phantom Agent promo, check it out at --- http://store.pulpalley.com/

You can pick up some unique promo Pulp Alley cards, but please be sure to read and follow the instructions.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Thanks so much - been there and placed my request - whooppee...!

I love your terrain :-* You have some great stuff

Thanks Wolfgirl - I appreciate than coming from you - your games looks so gorgeous... :D

Right then, let's see if we can wrap this AAR up....

Turn 2 and the formidable figure of Stirrup appears on the scene

Marlborough, the dog, rushes to the attack

A setback for Stirrup's League - Constable Broadbottom takes hit and is down and out and his Plot Point is up for grabs

Matters get worse. Roger Gently, in possession of the major Plot Point, races to Constable Broadbottom to rescue the situation and is in turn despatched himself. Finally disaster. Miss Sweetmeat attempts to leap the wall to secure the Plot Points, gets tangled up in her long dress and crashes to the ground. All 3 of Stirrup's League's Plot Points are scattered on the ground. Can Pimm get anyone there to secure them?

Pimm attempts to gather the spoils but is interceped by Stirrup

Meanwhile, the heroic dog Marlborough takes out his opponent but succumbs himself....ahhh
:'(

Although Pimm is a giant of a man, the rugged Stirrup deals with him - Pimm down and out. One enemy left standing - Stirrup despatches him but all is in vain...! The game is over and no-one has possession of any Plot Points and only Stirrup is still on his feet.

So, first game completed. No-one gained any points but we learnt a lot about the rules (we may have got some wrong early on). As I said at the beginning, it was mayhem - Followers went down in their droves.

I've already got another League organised and we plan to have another game very soon. Gary will be designing his own League next time...!

Thanks for reading.

Doug

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Fourth (and Final!) part posted
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »
Brilliant, mate.
Loved everything: Game, chuckles, miniatures and scenery.
Top drawer.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Small Disturbance at Little Bedding - PA AAR Fourth (and Final!) part posted
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Entertaining write up, thanks for posting

I recognise a lot of your figures but who is the alluring miss sweetmeat.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
I recognise a lot of your figures but who is the alluring miss sweetmeat.

Thanks... :)

Miss Sweetmeat:
http://moonrakerminiatures.com/investigators.htm  (bottom of the page).

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Doug
Thanks a lot - I must have 25% of your range but never seen these before, just goes to show.

There are some very nice figures here, when it says 30mm presumably they scale well with your suits bikers and savages

Thanks again

John

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
John

I find they scale OK - I'm in the not-all-humnas-are-the-same-size school so I''ll tolerate differences (see the mix of figures in the AAR). I know not everyone agrees but it works for me.

Doug