Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [.45 Adventure] The Maneater of Tzwapo - Game 1  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
[.45 Adventure] The Maneater of Tzwapo - Game 1
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »
Finally, we made it. Our first game on the dark continent was played in late October. We used Rattrap's .45 Adventure (with some house rules) and here's a short report on our experiences.

It's the year 1898, Africa is seized by European colonialists, but there are still some savage places to be explored by fearless adventurers. Most recently a German nobleman, Freiherr von der Groben, led an expedition into the heart of darkness to investigate cruel cases of death in the Tzwapo area. Rumour has it that a maneating monster is going around. Groben's expedition disappeared, and nothing has been heard of them for months now. A few fellow members of his Kolonialclub decided to seek out Groben - and, by the way, impress those silly negroes by bringing down their so called 'maneater'. Easy going, isn't it?

First task is to advance on Groben's base camp and search for evidence about his expedition's fate. Here's a view of the starting positions. The adventurers have parted, mainly because of national competition pressure, and are advancing in two groups (Anglophones from the south, ze Germans from the north).

Unimpressed by the warning of some local folk, Prof. Sandor Kertez (with fez) and his bodyguard Major Stiff, march straight ahead. Renowned big game hunter Obadiah Digwiddow (with topee) and loyal servant Ol' Jessup back up.

Fortune favours fools - Digwiddow discovers one of Groben's scouts who didn't dare leaving the camp. He's easily convinced of the white man's good will by some sabre rattling.

Oberst August Theophil von Tittwitz (far left), accompanied by his weapon bearer Wamwara, gets stuck in investigating some suspicious stones. Competition becomes tough as Kapitän-Leutnant Hermsdorff (bare-headed) and his adjutant Georg collide with the Professor and his followers - "Stay back, zis is Prussian Kulturbesitz!"

But as Hermsdorff tries to snatch some more encounters, a capital lion shoots up from the scrubs and attacks. Comradeship (or hunting passion) overrides national differences and everyone in range opens fire.

After some murderous bombardement, finally Digwiddow downs the beast. Nice trophy - although a bit perforated.

Prof. Kertesz utilises the confusion by stealing Tittwitz's findings: von Groben's diary. The Oberst is not amused and teaches Kertesz a leaded lesson - ouch!
Therefore, no one takes notice of the green shadow creeping out of the pool nearby. Snip-snap, Ol'Jessup ends as a morning snack.

Next one is Georg - "Was ist dasssaaaaarrrrr..."

Saturated for the moment, the crocodile retires for some digestive sleep. The Oberst tries desperately to stop it (no trophies for him so far), but the saurian seems bulletproof. Prof. Kertesz recovers and withdraws silently, von Groben's records tightly hugged.

As he sees the Prof's making off, Major Stiff also falls back, and, as a farewell present, he pulls out a piece of dynamite, ignites and throws - BOOOM! The explosion kills Groben's scout immediately, Hermsdorff, Tittwitz and Wamwara avert disaster by pure fortune.

Tittwitz seeks revenge - "That's not the feine englische Art..." -, but seems to forget about another danger not yet banished - snipety-snap!

It's only due to stout-hearted Wamwara and his knowledge of African witchcraft ("Shoo-shoo, lil' beasty boy!") that the Oberst can be saved. Hermsdorff sees no further chance to stop ze Engländer, so he ceases fire and looks for the badly wounded Oberst.

Some would call that a clear victory for the Anglophones.

Apart from that, all participants had a great time and a very funny game. We're all looking forward to our next adventure in Darkest Africa.

Credits: The game was mastered by El Comandante (second to the left), photographed by Tankred (who also provided access to the premises of his wargaming club and played Kertesz), co-played by Tellus (Digwiddow; leftmost), Hannibal (Hermsdorff; second to the right) and me (Tittwitz; rightmost). Figures by Wargames Foundry, Copplestone Castings and a few other companies. "Cows crossing" diorama by Tellus. Gaming board by Spieltrieb Wargaming Club. Additional terrain by Rusus & Grimm (now owned by me  :-* ).

Think that's all folks!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: [.45 Adventure] The Maneater of Tzwapo - Game 1
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
An excellent report, thanks for posting it.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:20:42 AM »
Excellent stuff old chap. Right good showing by the English.

I'm curious what modifications you made to the rules? Anything specific for the colonial period?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »
Great battle report.  Didn't require many figures either.. .I need to try something like this.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:24:03 AM »
Many thanks, chaps!

Operator5, no specific alterations yet, we're still experimenting. For example, El Comandante introduced a Brain test for detecting encounters - a bit unfair since the Germans' best were at BR=3. Maybe a 50:50 roll would be better. Also we experienced, that some of those beasts are really nasty. Nothing but a head shot brings them down, even if fired by an elephant rifle (improvised as shotgun). For big game hunting scenarios they should be slightly damped.

Didn't require many figures either.. .I need to try something like this.

That was an issue for us, too, and so .45 Adventure was the way to go. Every participant had to paint only 3 miniatures (2 were used in this scenario). Anything beyond was at personal discretion (e.g. provided myself the lion and some supernumeraries for the next scenario).

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
Great looking game, fun reading too. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
Very nice and inspiring game!
argsilverson

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »
Great game. Love the scenery.Particularly the pool and reed beds.
Cracking figures as well.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Operator5, no specific alterations yet, we're still experimenting. For example, El Comandante introduced a Brain test for detecting encounters - a bit unfair since the Germans' best were at BR=3.
Actually that is a good deal. It makes taking a higher BRAINS score more worthwhile. Players should always seek to have a balanced team between brains and brawn. If they have no reason to have brains, then they'll use all their points in combat related skills.

If you have Thrilling Expeditions, there is a Big Game Hunter ability that at least one of the models should have.

As for the critters in there, they should be tough to bring down.  :D

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
Again, thanks for your positive feedback. I'll forward it to my comrades.  :)

Actually that is a good deal. It makes taking a higher BRAINS score more worthwhile. Players should always seek to have a balanced team between brains and brawn. If they have no reason to have brains, then they'll use all their points in combat related skills.

Sadly, we had no choice - characters & skills were chosen by our game master. :'(
In return, Kertesz had BR 8 and the Streetwise ability.  o_o

As for the critters in there, they should be tough to bring down.  :D

Okay, maybe it was real bad luck that ze Germans triggered all those neat animals. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using more than one 'heavy beast' in an average competitive (i.e. non-cooperational) game. I've seen a Guard Dog making mincemeat of a whole team. Better make use of some hit-and-run animals like snakes or scorpions.

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
really excellant .45 adventure was a very interesting read
were did you get the animals from?
cheers
ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »
Excellent report, and that's a top-notch table you got there!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
The scenery is done particularly well - very nice!  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
Lovely terrain and great battle report. I'll have to make me some pools like yours

Cheers
kieran

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
Thank you very much to take the time to report this beautiful game. Minis, scenery, story : all is great.
In fact, I'm jealous...

meow,
Matt

PS : could you tell me what make these crates, please ?
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies