Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Victoriana!Black Powder Rules?  (Read 41660 times)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Frostgrave Victoriana!Black Powder Rules?
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »
Frostgrave looks like so much fun that it has awakened my long dormant love of fantasy games. Alas my fantasy collection dispersed over the years as VSF became my games of choice. So Felsted 19th cen.    Atlantis, El Dorado, Felsted names to stir the imagination. John William Burgon immmortalized the frozen city in his poem Frostgrave," An ice rimed city, half as old as time". Here are a selection of characters . A Wizard, Knight and Treasure Hunter. The Wizard and the Knight are from Castle Falkenstein, a magic vs Steam tech RPG from the 90s. I painted the knight back then, the wizard a year or so ago and the Treasure Hunter ( a West Wind Fig) I painted last week. I have a growing collection of minis for this theme and I'll be posting them soon.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:09:39 PM by Governor General »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
Simply splendid!

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
Cracking idea, bring on the Victorian Polar Explorers Frostgrave I say, nicely done.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
Thanks Wulfgar! Frostgrave revolves around magic so Wizards first. A Sigilist (R) and his apprentice. I talked about the Wizard in my last post. The apprentice is a Ral Partha fig for Shadowrun, a magic vs cyber RPG from the 90s. When I was painting the mini I was going for an Alfrid of Laketown from the Hobbit movies. My wife took one look at the fig and dubbed it Adolf Hipster! lol  

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »
My wife took one look at the fig and dubbed it Adolf Hipster! lol  

lol

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
Witches and Enchanters!. The 1st pic is of Aenglish Witch Lady Diana (R) and her apprentice Hermione. Lady Diana is a Castle Falkenstien Fig and Hermione is from West Wind's Vampire Wars line. The Enchanters are from N. America (New Aengland ) Doc Brown ,on right is the Wizard. It's a mini from Parroom Station. The Apprentice, Krusty, is a Khador mechanic from Privateer Press.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:50 AM »
Love the genre bashing you are doing here.  A really cool spin on the Frostgrave premise and some nice looking models.

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:14:33 AM »
Victorian Sci Fiction + Frostgrave =  :-*
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:28 AM »
Nifty idea, and some nice figures there.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:59 AM »
Great idea and terrific execution - inspiring!

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
Six-guns and sorcery! Set Frostgrave somewhere in the Far North of the New Continent, and I'm starting to see Mounties, trappers and Inuit in the dread ruins...

from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Thank you all very much for the kind words gentlemen! When I first became obsessed with Frostgrave my impulse was to buy new figs but my wallet advised me to look at what I already had. The wallet made a good call. I had minis painted that I can use and I've painted 10 more ( with another 20 in various stages of prep ) so I'm wearing away lead mountain. The first pic  is my Summoner Aisha(R) and her apprentice Aida from the Aegyptian Empire. The fig with the staff is from Ral Partha's Shadowrun line and the one with the crop is from Brigade games. The second photo shows my Necromancers Prof. Moriarty (R) and his apprentice Dr. West. Moriarty is a Black Pyramid fig and Dr. West is from RAFM's Call of Cthuhulu line.  

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! XBows added!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »
Crosssbows! I wrestled w/ the ideas of fire arms in Frostgrave but decided against it seeing as I wanted to keep the spirit of the game. Magic often means no guns, besides imagine what an Elementalist could do to gunpowder. Now the challenge of missile troops. I found the figs among my ACW figs(all from Foundry). These are mainly standard bearers I hadn't painted. The one on the far left is part of a cannon crew. The ACW troops provided a good look, lots of haversacks and blanket rolls. The next challenge were the crossbows. I did a lot of searching through old bits boxes. I found 4 finally but the repeating crossbow had hands attached. The fig on the right got the dubious honor for conversion, I removed the mini's hands and glued the bow ( with it's much larger hands ) to the fig. The crouching figure was  wounded but I think it looks like he's reloading. So here they are 19th century crossbowmen.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Thug & Warhound added
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Tiny Tim and Brutus the hound! Tim is a hulking 32mm from Foundry. He has been bouncing around my lead pile since the turn of the century. Brutus is from West Wind's vampire Wars. I had a few rules for my Frostgrave obsession, I have to already own the fig( financial considerations )and it has to look at least vaguely 19th century. Both these minis were painted for this project. Tim has one of the colour schemes I'm using for Frostgrave, red, green and gold. The other colour scheme can be seen on my treasure hunter in the 1st post, blue grey & silver.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Thug & Warhound added!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Nice collection of figures.good idea with the crossbows to get around the lack of gunpowder in frostgrave and nicely converted too.thanks for sharing