Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Victoriana!Black Powder Rules?  (Read 41509 times)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Thug & Warhound added!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
Two of Moriarty the Nercromancer's thugs. The one on the left (Jack) is from Brigade Game's Victorian Gangster line. Coat and scarf armed with a big knife he is one of the first of my painted figs I thought of for Frostgrave. The other figure has been lurking in the lead pile since the mid 90s. It was part of a vampire/werewolf RPG line, the one mini in the blister pack you don't know what to do with. The weirdness of this figure makes him a great thug. Top hat, tail coat and long underwear. Every hunt for treasure needs a guy with a shovel. I'm calling him Shmee. This new project has been great for getting old odds and bits from lead mountain painted! 

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Necromancer's Thugs added!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
These are some soldiers and thugs for various war bands. From r-l West Wind, Brigade, West Wind & Brigade. I had already painted these but hadn't really found a use for them. They will do quite nicely for Frostgrave. Just a thought on trees in Frostgrave. Trees are great for scatter scenery and breaking up line of sight. Over the next few months (at least in the U.S. ) pre painted pre snowed trees will be available everywhere. They will also be cheap, as little as fifty cents apiece! One question how big are Trolls in Frostgrave? Are they like pro basketball players or like in LOTR?

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! New Soldiers & Thugs added!
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
Who better to be a Chronomancer and apprentice, besides they're dressed for the weather. In the words of River Song," I hate good wizards in fairy tales, they always turn out to be him".  If you look close on their bases you can see a date of 1988. They were made by FASA. I purchased the figs and painted the Doctor in the early 90s. Romana didn't get painted till this year. Alas 20 years of bouncing around in plastic shoe boxes left her with a smooshed nose.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Chronomancers added!
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
I hadthe same idea for a Chronomancer, but a more recent incarnation. :)

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
What a wonderful idea early 19th century dismounted Napoleonic cavalrymen should fit into this concept too! 

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
Summoner's Warband, so far. The Summoner in the official Frostgrave figures has a N. African, Middle Eastern vibe so my Summoner is from my analogue, The Aegyptian Empire. Founded when Cleopatra and Antony defeated Octavian it has survived in one form or another till the 19th cen. Kid Terminal remarked that Napoleonic cavalrymen would make good characters, I guess great minds ect. I've talked about the Summoner, her apprentice and the crossbowman in earlier posts. The two troopers in kepis are Mexican officers from Foundry's Maximillian Adventure line. They were painted a couple of years ago. Since the troopers looked so fancy I knew the officer had to be resplendent. The officer fig is a Napoleonic French Dragoon that has been haunting lead mountain since the late 90s. I was really pushing the blue , grey& white colour scheme on this mini. The rest of this warband will have more traditional middle eastern attire. The summoned Demon is a Ghast from the late great Grenadier Miniatures Call of Cthulhu line.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:15:28 PM by Governor General »

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Summoner's Warband (so far ) added!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 02:24:52 AM »
Dragoons just what I was thinking!

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Summoner's Warband (so far ) added!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
Elementalist! Northstar's description of Elementalists says that they tend to wear  bright clothes and flashy decorations. I feel I've caught that aspect of the character pretty well. The fig is a converted Napoleonic style officer who came out of a scratch and dent box at a hobby store decades ago. The element is the flame part of a torch I found in an old bits box while looking for crossbows. I painted him up over the last two days, felt inspired. I'm calling him General Malaise. There's gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight!

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Elementalist added!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Forgot to mention the tower in the background is a HeroQuest plastic piece I painted up over the weekend for Frostgrave.  

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »
I am really enjoying your take on Frostgrave.  I wondered abut using the idea of Gilbert Norrell and Jonathon Strange as wizard and apprentice, especially after the recent BBC series.

I have one of those keeps, must dust it off and get it in use.
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 06:44:47 AM »
The elementalist is perfect! What will you do for the apprentice?

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Thank you Mister C and Kid Terminal for your kind words! I'm having a lot of fun here on the lunatic fringe of Frostgrave and to find others enjoying it as well is the icing on the cake. Mister C, Strange & Norrel were definitely a big influence on this variation of Felsted. Kid Terminal, The Elementalist's Apprentice will have to wait for now, at the moment I'm concentrating on figs I already have. On to the Necromancer's Warband (so far). Moriarty's Miscreants, bottom row l-r; Bert, Sweeney, The Col., Tom O Bedlam, Schmee and Jack. Top row l-r; Dr. West apprentice, Prof. Moriarty Necromancer and A. Body zombie du jour. The second pic is a close up Sweeney Todd, The Col. a Treasure Hunter and Schmee short for Schmeegol.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:16:22 PM by Governor General »

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Necromancer's Warband (so far) added!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
More Warband close ups! 1st pic, Bert the chimney sweep. I know I said no guns this is the exception. It's a compressed air gun, something Moriarty's henchmen used in the Sherlock Holmes stories. By happy coincidence It has the same stats as a Frostgrave crossbow. Next is Tom O Bedlam, a fig from RAFM's Call of Cthulhu and Saucy Jack a real cut up. 2nd photo, Apprentice  Dr.Herbert West originally from Arkham in New Aengland, Prof. Moriarty Necromancer extraordinaire and A. Body zombie. The Prof. wanted one robust enough to carry treasure and thick enough to absorb a crossbow bolt. 

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
Fantastic looking gang! If you would be so kind as to list who is a thief, thug, etc... And by the way who makes the Tor Johnson zombie figure?

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »
Kid Terminal, The Tor zombie is made by RAFM part of their Call of Cthulhu line. At this point with the exception of the Treasure Hunter Col. and the air rifleman I think the rest of Moriarty's warband are 20gc Thugs. Sweeney, the one licking the knife, may end up being a thief if I cant find another candidate. I'm also considering adding a war hound. At this time The Necromancer still has 90gc worth of hiring power so we will see what is still lurking on lead mountain.